Remanufactured 1FZFE for 94 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or a very nicely built and modified, balanced 1FZ with a supercharge and installation. ;)

Would go turbo after following some of the Australian pages.....some of those builds are nuts.

15K ?!?! i have done swaps for less than half of that. if you do all the work yourself an GEN3 swap will be 5~7K

$15k? You could have a very nicely built 1FZ-FE and $10k in gas cards for your favorite gas station.

I fully rebuilt 1FZ-FE is going to cost $6-7k for just the motor, if done properly. Add all of the accessories (including supercharger) and installation and you are at $15k. EASY.

15K ?!?! i have done swaps for less than half of that. if you do all the work yourself an GEN3 swap will be 5~7K

Having done a LS swap personally this is close to being true. However, I also know that the average Mud member could not do a swap themselves. And if they did it would take them months. There is so much stop and go.

I've seen dozens of partial swaps where people gave up and sold for pennies because they couldn't figure stuff out or didn't have the time.

If I were buying an 80 with a swap I would pay scrap price for it unless it was done professionally by someone respected.

oh i agree, most people would job it out or spend months. i personally picked up a MINT 93 with a popped HG for 650 just to do a swap. after i sold the engine parts i didnt need, bought a wrecked suburban, parted it out, i am now at a total net gain of about 500 bucks.

sure it is a ton of work but i have the space and the time. its not a truck i plan on DDing and i have another ride. you use your 80 as a DD then the 1FZ is the only real way to go.

Thanks, perhaps I am missing something here. How does putting a rebuilt 1FZ-FE into the current truck add up to 15K? I am figuring 3-4K for the rebuilt engine and 2-3K for the install.

$3-4K is not realistic for a rebuilt 1FZ-FE if done right. That is a realistic number if you are just replacing the soft parts (gaskets and such). But if you have to put in 1mm oversized pistons or cams then it adds up VERY quickly.

Add all of the accessories, hoses, belts, etc and it is easily $10k. Joey's was completely anal retentive and meticulous. And he added the supercharger. That gets to $15k in a hurry.

Noobie here. I've been reading the forums for some time and recently purchased a 94 Land Cruiser that's in solid shape cosmetically... got it for $7,000 and loving it. (225,000 miles)

It's having some engine issues and I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the remanufactured engine that Cruiser Parts . net is offering for $4,500 - I have a local mechanic who could do the install for about $1,500 in labor plus $1,000 in other parts. I was quoted $2,000 to fix the leaking valves, so thinking it makes more sense to consider going for a little more money and knowing the entire engine is solid.

The current engine issues after resealing the head gasket - engine shakes, misfires, leaking valves, and leaking oil.

Option 1 - the remanufactured engine at $4,500 from Cruiser Parts
Option 2 - found a local engine in a wrecked 93 for $1,500
Option 3 - do nothing!

You list the current issues after "resealing the head gasket"..... What does that mean? Was the head gasket replaced? By Whom?

The issues you list sound like a bad HG. If someone "readjusted the valves", then they didn't do it right and need to Re-do it. The issues you are having COULD be wiring harness or fuel injector related as well, and not HG related.

You need a different / better shop. Get on the "Clubhouses" section above and find someone local to you that can advise what/how to take care of this.

A PROPERLY replaced HG with a reworked head should be in the $2500 range with all labor included to drive it into the shop and drive it back out, at a Toyota dealership. This does NOT include all the "While you're in there" stuff. That's another $1500, but that's stuff you'll need to do at some point anyway.

Gas mileage is 12-16 MPG. Deal with it. HP is like 90. Deal with it.

To the OP:

At 225k, I would be surprised to find that there is anything seriously wrong with your current engine. Go through all the symptoms and diagnose each one (leaking oil is a symptom of being a landcruiser, not of a mechanical problem unless it's pouring out on your driveway :hillbilly: ). I'm hopeful your current engine still has plenty of life in it :)

Sorry, I have no input on the curiserparts rebuild.

Sorry these guys hijacked your thread.

Thanks. It's all good reading so far. The truck is with Toyota service today. Will post their diagnosis later today.

Thanks, perhaps I am missing something here. How does putting a rebuilt 1FZ-FE into the current truck add up to 15K? I am figuring 3-4K for the rebuilt engine and 2-3K for the install.

The previous owner of my 80 had a rebuilt Jasper engine installed at a local shop, the receipt is over $10k (engine & labor)

Items highlighted in pink are the cost of just the engine. the ENGINE item is the cost of machining the head & block (over bored and balanced), new pistons, and all hardware including the timing. This is all totaled at the bottom and you can take 120 off of that because I doubled up the timing kit on accident.

20160823071702672_0001_zps0iwicuty.jpg

20160823071702672_0002_zpsmkd3v0pe.jpg

These aren't guesses these are actual cost rounded to the nearest dollar. Shop labor cost these days are generally $100/hr +/- $15 depending on location. Not sure what the book budgets for this job but I'd imagine you could spend 2,500-3,000 in labor alone. Solution? Do it yourself. Its all just bolts, and they all behave the same... lefty loosy righty tighty.

Now I did pull the engine myself, it took two days of casual wrenching, two friends and borrowing some tools to get it out and one day to get it back in. Heres where it started. Here's when I began to feel like I was in over my head. Here's when I got a handle on it. And here's when we stuffed it back in.

I also did the reassembly myself. This was my first ever engine rebuild and I'm 20k miles down the road. Its not hard and all of the resources I needed were found on this site including the downloadable FSM.

If you don't have the confidence to do this get in with your local club and find someone who has the knowledge and can help you. Hell offer to pay them 1,000 to pull it, and reinstall it. If you were down the street from me I'd take you up on that in a heart beat.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that is a total engine rebuild cost above^ if I had just sent the head to get its valve seats reground and machined the bill would have been closer to 1,500 - 2,000.

I just had a "new" reman engine put in last month. 1997 FJ80 284,000 miles. Heard a not so nice knocking in engine. Towed to mechanic. Reman engine from Oregon/Washington for $4100 includes 3yr/36k mile warranty. $1200 labor. All new "whatevers" needed replacing (I told him to replace whatever he felt needed replacing) $7204.67 tax, title and out the door.
IMG_5286.JPG
IMG_5291.JPG
IMG_5292.JPG

IMAG0266.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom