Remanufactured 1FZFE for 94 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noobie here. I've been reading the forums for some time and recently purchased a 94 Land Cruiser that's in solid shape cosmetically... got it for $7,000 and loving it. (225,000 miles)

It's having some engine issues and I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the remanufactured engine that Cruiser Parts . net is offering for $4,500 - I have a local mechanic who could do the install for about $1,500 in labor plus $1,000 in other parts. I was quoted $2,000 to fix the leaking valves, so thinking it makes more sense to consider going for a little more money and knowing the entire engine is solid.

The current engine issues after resealing the head gasket - engine shakes, misfires, leaking valves, and leaking oil.

Option 1 - the remanufactured engine at $4,500 from Cruiser Parts
Option 2 - found a local engine in a wrecked 93 for $1,500
Option 3 - do nothing!

As I have bought a 1994 land cruiser about a year ago. I went through head rebuilt and other PM items. My struggle is gas mileage on the 4.5L is horrible. I would save $$$ do a V8 4.7L tundra/LC100 swap. I am also keeping a close eye on cummins repower R2.8 engine. It is set to release soon. I have read diesel has few lb-ft less torque than current 4.5L gas engine. But the average fuel consumption is near 30 mpg. Rumors are that engine will be priced around $8 grand. Personally, I am going to stay away from 4.5L engine as spare parts will be hard to find and tuning options are limited. For months I have been looking to get a air flow meter in good working conditions and no luck finding one. without air flow meter motor doesn't start and they tend to wear out over time due to its design. Engine swaps are complicated and consume $$,$$$. I would be interested in which route you take. My mind is set on swap in two years or sooner.

Last edited:
If the R2.8 is CA legal and gets that economy I might have to spring for that swap. Cheeper than buying a new truck i guess! Also interest in a 1HZ swap. Valley Hybrids says its legal in CA......

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm ruling out a V8 or other engine swap as I want to stay true to the original. Curious if anyone knows about Cruiserparts.net. ?? Reputation?

You can buy a boat load of fuel for the price of a swap. You would still come out ahead. I am a believer in stock.

Simple math: diesel swap will come out ahead in my version.

Operating cost per mile for gas engine is $3/13 mpg = $0.23.
Operating cost of mile per diesel engine is $3/30 mpg = $0.10

New gas engine cost + Price per gallon/mpg [gas version] = New diesel engine cost + Price per gallon/mpg [diesel version]

Ignore labor and other things for sake of simplicity.

$4500 + $0.23 (x) = $8000 + $0.10 (x), where x is miles driven to break even.

x= 26,923 miles break even. Come to think of it that not that many miles.

I'm considering getting a toyota diesel that drops right in and matches the mounts / transmission. There are folks in Australia that ship them out.

What trans for the diesel? And swap pieces? I'll bet it gets up around the 12k range for the swap without labor.
As for the cruiser part engine, who does the rebuild? Is it them? I've seen a few places selling rebuilt engines for about a grand less, although I know nothing about any of the companies including cruiser parts. How is the warranty? Are they going to deal with your mechanic if there's an issue? Just asking.

I have seen a few others online cheaper ... hard to say really what you're getting. I have a few calls in to some other places. Just asked about cruiserparts.net because I've ordered a few things from them and they have all been solid. Them seam to specialize in Cruisers as well ...

I was asking about the R2.8 when I asked what trans. Toyota conversion sounds a bit easier.

There are few options I have read about. You could do stock with advance adapter version or nv4500 or 4l60e tranny with adapter to a toyota TC.

Labo
Simple math: diesel swap will come out ahead in my version.

Operating cost per mile for gas engine is $3/13 mpg = $0.23.
Operating cost of mile per diesel engine is $3/30 mpg = $0.10

New gas engine cost + Price per gallon/mpg [gas version] = New diesel engine cost + Price per gallon/mpg [diesel version]

Ignore labor and other things for sake of simplicity.

$4500 + $0.23 (x) = $8000 + $0.10 (x), where x is miles driven to break even.

x= 26,923 miles break even. Come to think of it that not that many miles.
r is likely double the engine cost so break even at 50K miles?

Labo

r is likely double the engine cost so break even at 50K miles?

Engine cost is still a mystery. I am waiting for them to release the numbers.

If you bought a landcruiser for fuel economy, you made a very big mistake. New vehicles of similar size and weight with gas V8 are getting mpg that's not enough of an improvement to use fuel economy as an excuse for an engine swap. It's my speculation that most people who cry about 1fz power and fuel economy could have there purposes fulfilled by a Chevy Tahoe. They already have a V8, get a little bit better mpg and can handle the roads most Americans will drive on anyway.

No swap is straight forward and will end up costing way more than you think.

My interest here is in why your engine runs poorly after a head gasket replacement?

Last edited:
If you bought a landcruiser for fuel economy, you made a very big mistake. New vehicles of similar size and weight with gas V8 are getting mpg that's not enough of an improvement to use fuel economy as an excuse for an engine swap. It's my speculation that most people who cry about 1fz power and fuel economy coukdnhave there purposes fulfilled by a Chevy Tahoe. They already have a V8, get a little bit better mpg and can handle the roads most Americans will drive on anyway.

No swap is straight forward and will end up costing way more than you think.

My interest here is in why your engine runs poorly after a head gasket replacement?

This - what are the issues you mention?

I agree. If I wanted a V8 I'd sell the 80 and buy a different truck. Diesel sounds nice, but I'm not going that route. I want to keep the 80 series stock.

The only reason I am considering the swap is that it's coming in cheaper than a rebuild of the current engine and would be quicker. So far all that's been done is replacing the valve cover gaskets. I am anticipating that "trouble shooting" will quickly catch up to the cost of the swap ...

Dropped the truck off at the shop today, should have an update tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback so far.

There is absolutely no chance in hell that a swap is cheaper than a rebuild. Nope. Even when you look at an insanely overdone, anal retentive Rebuild like @NLXTACY did you still couldn't get a decent quality swap for the money. If someone says they can do a swap for under $15k I would like to see multiple references and vehicles they have done.

There is absolutely no chance in hell that a swap is cheaper than a rebuild. Nope. Even when you look at an insanely overdone, anal retentive Rebuild like @NLXTACY did you still couldn't get a decent quality swap for the money. If someone says they can do a swap for under $15k I would like to see multiple references and vehicles they have done.

$15k? You could have a very nicely built 1FZ-FE and $10k in gas cards for your favorite gas station.

Second that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom