Rear Leaf Spring Perches and Frame Plates Rusted Out... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm relatively new Landcrusier owner.

I'm learning about the wonderful world of rolling restoration, maintenance and stuffing mitts full of $100 bills into my BJ to fix things. Still love it. Just installed an OME suspension system and now see that
my 81 BJ42 frame plates where my rear spring perches are welded to .....are rusted to s***.
From research I have done, this is pretty common. Redundant to say rust is common with LC's I guess.
Any advice on where to purchase these pieces ? Has any one had to replace them? Any help greatly appreciated. Any advice greatly appreciated. I have done a lot of research, I know Cruiser Solutions offers the perfect all in one piece for my need. However after reading about numerous people's bad experiences with this company, they are my last choice. Wondering why more companies like BTB don't weld the spring perches to the plates?

Cheers

T

im in the same boat , i think i will take them off and try to remove the rust and weld it back and paint

20160520_143511.jpg

im in the same boat , i think i will take them off and try to remove the rust and weld it back and paint

good plan, but

you're going to need to replace some metal.
once you remove the rust, you're likely to find that there is nothing let to weld back together.

If youre not a purefectionist i would suggest making new plates out of some 1/4" and welding some new shackle hangers on there. Chances are the rear cross member has some rot under there as well.

D

I bought the parts from Cruiser Solutions for a customer's truck, and they were a perfect fit. Wasn't aware there was a problem with them. Of course it's probably been ten years since I got that stuff, and a lot can happen in ten years.

Careful once you start digging its only a tiny little step to a "frame-off". LoL
What they say is true...I started with a dime size hole net my rear hanger now ive replaced both side frame sections. Now im getting picky about toyota matching bolts etc...its a disease

IMG_8700.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom