rear body mounts (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mom and Sis are both 5 mins away. I consider myself very lucky!View attachment 2051272

I like this too. Stupid waste of time just to get back.

Trying to catch up in here - sorry for old questions - is that the outer part of the flare? Did you cut out the inner part? Did you have to custom make the outer?

“I think people build too much for the 1% situation. I’d rather have to pull a cable once or twice than listen to gear whine the other 99%”

Yes, but it is always that 1% that we remember!

I cut the tack welds along the outside of the flare and then cut out the inside of the fender. Way glad I did because it was very nasty between those two pieces. Sandblasted and por15 them both and burned back in. Just got them done today, after having been distracted! Gonna have a lot of grinding time! :(

Also finally welded and ground about 50 of these little 1/8”holes in the floor and the roof! Yeeaahh done with that!
image.jpg

Getting better at grinding that’s for sure! :(. :)

image.jpg

Thought I might put some time in on this thing. I know I want to gear down in this thing but there are so many strategies I am not sure which way to go. Have 4.11s and future 5.3.
I think I have three choices.
4-1 gears
3-1 gears
3-1 gears with a Black Box.
Bummers
4-1 looses some of that overdrive that I am way into
3-1 seems like it really isn’t that much of an upgrade.
3-1 w BBox I have heard that the black box leaks. I hate leaks!

Stoked turns out that the transfer case is a 38mm/fj62. Gonna send it out to AA to get it clearanced/ welded. Supposedly the transmition only has about 30k on it. Thanks landcruiserman! (Need more pics of your build!)

Valid points-
how often am I using the 4low
Anything will be an upgrade from my 4speed that has metal shavings
55s look so tough so when it gets tough I want it to perform (ie dreams of rubicon and Dusy Ershim)

I am know there are more thoughts out there. I can’t seem to square away my direction!
Please feel free to weigh in on my direction!!! I know scrappdaddy is rolling w the 4-1, pros and cons? Others out there...?

Alright, here's my set up and what I think... 5.3 Chevy with the H55 5 speed trans. and from the top of my head the 38mm fj62 transfer case with Georg's 4:1 gears. I'm running 33 inch tires and a E locker in back with the ARB air locker up front. Living in the Midwest we built it for traveling to distant places on dirt roads or what ever pops up and being self reliant to get out of situations, I wasn't building a rock crawler. I wasn't trying to get the best gas mileage out of it in order to save a few bucks, I wanted it right. The 4:1 gears sounded like the thing to do, have a creepy low gear and have my overdrive transmission to compensate for the underdrive of the transfer gears. What I didn't know was how noisy they were on deceleration she really howls, at first I thought something was coming apart as of now I'm learning to live with it ( flower garden ) :).

I'll never go on the Rubicon and maybe not the harder trails at Moab with it, so we could of gotten by with the stock transfer gears, am I glad the super low gear is there if needed, hell yeah. Knowing what I know now about the noise, would I put them in again, no I should of bought a brand new transfer case, left it stock and enjoyed my wife's plans on next years garden.

Just read up on that. Probably wrong but it looks as tho it is built for a 4 speed and 34mm idler shaft, no?

Last edited:
Does look cool - says can fit between a H55F and 19 spline split case. The only thing I’m not sure about without searching very deep is if the input spline count has anything to do with the idler shaft size. By my understanding, an H55F will only bolt up to a 38mm idler shaft split case.
Beyond that, the 2.72:1 low range would split the 45:1 low range ratio of a H55F/split-case combo to 122.5:1, which would be far lower than you’d ever realistically use. But you would benefit from the successive gearing when up-shifting the tranny.👍
My old Cruiser pal ran an H150/Marlin Crawler doubler box/4spd Cruiser T-case combo that produced a similar low-low range. It was cool as heck, but pretty unusable, since he had no lockers and could pop a Birfield at the blip of the throttle.

3:1

☝ No noise in hi range, because you don’t change the hi range gears.

If you get noise it will only be on the trail.

Add a black box down the line if you aren’t satisfied with the low gearing. (Would need to upgrade the driveline strength as @RUSH55 indicated)

The idea of buying a drive custom drive shaft twice seems a bit too much cashish.
It seems that if one is able to have conversations about gardens with not too much trouble the 4-1 might be the cool way to go.
Or, I just emailed Marks to see if their over/under gears that Jmack suggested would work with my H55. That would be the coolest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom