rear body mounts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So although I have not been getting a lot of work done on the rotiserrie I have been able to fix all these little things that pop up with my currently running piggy.
Fixed both mirrors
Silicone sprayed all the window regulators, might be my imagination but the seem to work better/easier
Switched the seats.
It had always been tight between the door and the seat to reach the levers, now they are accessible on the inside
When I took apart the seat to fix l learned that I could switch the arm rests, just had to unapoulster/ reapolster
Stoked too because the padding was getting [pretty bad on that side as well.
Re aligned the passenger door from last wheeling trip

Pretty stoked! Made the first steps toward my engine swap. I have had Landcruiserman's old H55 with split case sitting and waiting for far too long. Tomorrow I will be splitting the transfer case to send it in to get it clearance/ weld for a new set of 4 to 1 low gears- Advanced Adapters. My buddies all say it gives better control and success when challenging "those lines" with a slight loss in the overdrive department. Very intimidated with this whole engine swap challenge.

Putting a new engine in too?
Might be time to start another thread🤔

Been looking into some of this same stuff today. Still a little back and forth between an H55F or NV4500 because of the 1st gear, mostly. I love slow. Neither are close to the granny first of an SM420, but the low range gear sets Cruiser Outfitters carries gets close, or actually beyond with that 4:1 low set. The 10% high range reduction is a little off-putting, which is why I’m mostly considering the 3:1 set which gets your compound low down to 59.5:1 (with an H55F) without affecting the high range. With the 420, my low-low is like 65 or 68:1, which comes in handy, but doesn’t get used a whole lot (almost a little too slow for most wheeling), so 59 seems pretty reasonable. I think the 4:1 set with H55F is like 75:1 or something like that.

I was just out the other day and I tried this hill and could not keep the thing going. It kept bogging down as I attempted this step. I really worked the clutch but just couldn't keep enough rpms, and it was in the middle of the hill so I couldn't get a run at it. The idea of a real low makes me think that I can come at those problems really slowly, but with good rpms. Logical?
Plus isn't h55 first low like a 2.83 to 1? Doesn't seem like I would be winning.

So although I have not been getting a lot of work done on the rotiserrie I have been able to fix all these little things that pop up with my currently running piggy.
Fixed both mirrors
Silicone sprayed all the window regulators, might be my imagination but the seem to work better/easier
Switched the seats.
It had always been tight between the door and the seat to reach the levers, now they are accessible on the inside
When I took apart the seat to fix l learned that I could switch the arm rests, just had to unapoulster/ reapolster
Stoked too because the padding was getting [pretty bad on that side as well.
Re aligned the passenger door from last wheeling trip

Pretty stoked! Made the first steps toward my engine swap. I have had Landcruiserman's old H55 with split case sitting and waiting for far too long. Tomorrow I will be splitting the transfer case to send it in to get it clearance/ weld for a new set of 4 to 1 low gears- Advanced Adapters. My buddies all say it gives better control and success when challenging "those lines" with a slight loss in the overdrive department. Very intimidated with this whole engine swap challenge.

Time to step up to 35’s to help balance that 10% under drive in high range.

** Reminder to drain the case/trans, before splitting that B*+€$.**

@RUSH55 I ran the calculators to try and give @xtiaan2000 a frame of reference on the hearing and how that impacts top end RPM’s.

80541E53-3C4C-4D37-B871-91E7469CCD24.jpeg
4B43B264-ADCA-472D-990C-7830C8D2D407.jpeg
F17C69CD-FABA-4102-A6E0-E96F318465A0.jpeg

46D4C58F-EDCE-4040-A7CA-B7AD50C85547.jpeg

63BD725A-2AE4-4744-A1FF-EFC4210A57E3.png

That’s nice right there👍 So ~2,500 rpm at 75mph vs. ~2,800 rpm at 75mph. I like the 2,500 rpm range better of course. 2,800 isn’t terrible, but it’s pretty close to 3,000 which is where I hover already without OD, and probably closer to 70 mph. So dropping 200 rpm to go 5mph faster🤷‍♂️
Still liking the 3:1 set...

Nookshneer has the 3-1 set. It so hard to choose these things having never run either one!
Nookshneer could you drive down to California so I can try yours? Lets do it tomorrow or the next day.

Nookshneer has the 3-1 set. It so hard to choose these things having never run either one!
Nookshneer could you drive down to California so I can try yours? Lets do it tomorrow or the next day.

You pay for the gas, and employer time and i’m good with that.

We would have to wheel the s*** out of my rig... probably with @mattressking.

And could you have that conversation with my wife..?

I was just out the other day and I tried this hill and could not keep the thing going. It kept bogging down as I attempted this step. I really worked the clutch but just couldn't keep enough rpms, and it was in the middle of the hill so I couldn't get a run at it. The idea of a real low makes me think that I can come at those problems really slowly, but with good rpms. Logical?
Plus isn't h55 first low like a 2.83 to 1? Doesn't seem like I would be winning.

You still have the stock drivetrain? One of my biggest complaints was this here☝, because of the 28:1 overall factory low range. No bueno. An H41 would have been the preferable US trans, putting the low range in the mid 40’s.
The first gear ratio of the H55 is 4.84:1, but the stock low range ratio of the split case is 2.27, so in OEM form the combo can provide a 45:1 ratio, which is better, but still not as crawly as it could be. Kinda one of the reasons I’ve still been considering an NV4500. Haven’t done all the math, but the deeper 6.34 first gear in the first couple years of production makes it the crawliest 5spd trans.

Last edited:
From what I hear the split case gears are all noisy.

With 33s an H55/split combo is great. It’s no technical rock crawler but once you add the fuel injection it really does great.

I think people build too much for the 1% situation. I’d rather have to pull a cable once or twice than listen to gear whine the other 99%

I’ve gotten my Pig so quiet now sowmthing like that would be maddening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom