Real world experience with FJ40 4Plus tire (only) carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really like the 4Plus carrier (although mine’s a double sided) and agree with what others have said…stout, quiet, and well built!

53619739-BD02-4B03-A17C-D566ECA778D4.jpeg

Last edited:
That's genius. Simple trick and now you can run both bumperettes for a much better look. I think I'm stealing this.
The later tail lights 40 I don’t think it will work without more mods

I don’t get it. How?

You will have to look but the old style tail lights and the new style use different frame holes. The rectangle tail rear frame crossmember bumperette holes and the 4Plus mounts share the same real estate

Question for those using these with 33s. Can you adjust it about an inch out (passenger side mount) and still have use of the driver side split door without having to open the tire carrier as well? I am not sure if the hitch will be off center as well if this adjustment is made. Can it be adjusted independent of the hitch?

It cannot be adjusted BUT you might be able to get a custom adjustment made when they put one together. Contact 4+ and ask.
I have a single drop down tailgate so I can't tell you about the amb doors.

Last edited:
I’ve never had a 33 that it would not let the 1/2 door open. I had one that was real close and I ground a tiny bit off the tire and it was clear
Thanks, from following your builds and use of Klevers which is what I’m mounting I’m sure it will be the case

Dave 4 plus makes excellent products.

I have the cooler / gas can basket, it was on my FJ40 when I bought it in 2015, so at least 8 years old now...

The basket has only been used a few times, carrying a gas can when the gauge wasn't working (i.e. reserve tank). Sticks out kinda far. And hit my head on it a few times replacing the body mounts (installing energy suspension kit) and tail lights.

There is an issue with mine, found out emailing them about it, apparently an early model and they got 2x2 tubes with I think too large a diameter on the corners, and the shackle mount receiver is the only thing that fits in the trailer hitch mount (I could grind something else down it needed, but don't actually ever tow anything anyways).

I'd rather have a mount for only the spare. But this is still going strong, seems like it could probably hold a couple hundred pounds in the basket and any similar weight spare. The mounting face for the tire will slide in / out with a pin I think to accommodate wider tires, and is pretty well made and reasonably easy to manage access it / out of the back, although there is no "limiter" on it and it can swing around and hit the body.

IMG_20151126_134543.jpg
IMG_20180703_151551.jpg

Y’all, Dave is super slow right now and needs some business. If you have been wanting a 4Plus product please order some stuff.
Thanks for the nudge. Just ordered today. Dave has been very responsive, look forward to mounting it up.

Y’all, Dave is super slow right now and needs some business. If you have been wanting a 4Plus product please order some stuff.
Thanks for the intel! - just contacted for some flip kits. This community rocks - happy to help however I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom