Project PHOENIX-Gene's new LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The only thing I might do to the LV dash is make 2 small plates to cover up the holes that the PO drilled in the far left and right sides. I think I remember Eric saying there was a rifle rack mount on each side.
Prom and Phoenix 284.jpg

Help

Great job Gene. You should post a few more pictures of your FJ40 that looks more like a FJ25. Wouldn't mind a few pictures of The 1962 FJ40 if you still have it in your backyard.

Now for my help. I'm the old bald guy in post 259, ninth picture down who was pulling the tub off the frame in the parking lot next door. To make a long story short. I didn't take the tranny/transfer off the vehicle mainly because I was tired and the tranny was rusted. I remember somebody was going to take and put it up on the wall of their shop. Turns out I could use some parts off of it. I've PMed a few people I know were there with no luck. I thinking it was one of the guys who went to TLC to drop off the frames. If the guy who ended up with it reads this could they please PM me and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks highjack over.

Now back to the regular praise for the great job Gene is doing.

I have just paged through the entire thread.

This is the BEST THREAD EVER for all the right reasons. I also know Eric and used to see that 45 around Fort Collins. Nice job Eric!!!

I found this story while researching t-cases and found Orange45's alert and went through the original 35 build, the wreck, the first thread to build a new wagon, and then this one!

As a 55 lover, I can appreciate a good wagon.

Good luck Gene, and God bless! I hope you and your family are doing well these days.

Any new updates on the 35?

Not sure how long it will take til Gene sees this thread again. Not much time for the puter these days. He's got a new job thats about 100 miles from home, so he's gone from his family a couple of nights a week now, and playing catch up most of the time he's back. He's down to one transportation vehicle at this point, but he and I are working on that.:) Other things in his life are kind of rocky right now, so the LV is pretty much off the radar. Priorities you know.:hmm:

Maybe after things stabilize a bit, we'll get back to welding in that first quarter panel. Right now, I'm just trying to get him to take a break from all the work and family stress and go camping for a change.:steer:

Not sure how long it will take til Gene sees this thread again. Not much time for the puter these days. He's got a new job thats about 100 miles from home, so he's gone from his family a couple of nights a week now, and playing catch up most of the time he's back. He's down to one transportation vehicle at this point, but he and I are working on that.:) Other things in his life are kind of rocky right now, so the LV is pretty much off the radar. Priorities you know.:hmm:

Maybe after things stabilize a bit, we'll get back to welding in that first quarter panel. Right now, I'm just trying to get him to take a break from all the work and family stress and go camping for a change.:steer:

Glad for the update bud!

As someone who commutes 1000+ miles (albeit under different circumstances) I know just how much life that sucks out of you. Not much fun at all. Here's hoping to see some pictures of it (or at least Gene) out on the trail one of these days.

Dan

Hey guys, It's always good to check in from time to time and see what you guys are up to. As Mark said, I haven't really had much time to work on the LV lately. A big change in my job took me 100 miles away from home, but no complaints here because I'm still working. There's a lot of good that's come from the change, and I'm thanking God for that. I haven't abandoned working on the LV altogether. Recently I took some 2X4 1/8" wall tube and made rocker panels to replace the rotted originals. I was pretty happy with how they came out. I know they don't look like much now, but when I'm done you shouldn't be able to tell them from the originals, plus they're gonna be about 4 times stronger. After the rockers are installed, I'm tearing into the floors. Here's some pics...
Rocker Tube.jpg
Rocker Tube on side.jpg

As Mark mentioned, he and I have been working on a little side project to get me back behind the wheel of a Land Cruiser while I finish the LV. Here's the long story short...

Stephen, a friend of Mark's has been driving a 1984 FJ60 for the last 12 years (details are still hard for me to hold onto since the accident, I think it's 12 years). Earlier this year he cooked the intake manifold gasket and the 2F wouldn't even hold an idle once it warmed up. After discussing the miles (240,000) on the vehicle and the labor and cost involved to fix it with Mark, he decided to buy another running FJ60 in much better condition. Stephen had originally bought the 60 from Mark who had given him a killer deal on it, so he brought it back to Mark's place along with the pinkslip and told him it was his to dismantle for parts. Mark said the 60 was too nice to take apart, and he new of someone who could use it and would be up for fixing it himself. I guess I should mention that a short time before Stephen brought the 60 to Mark's place, Mark and I were talking and I had mentioned that my wife and I were down to 1 running vehicle.

Well, I'm at work and I get a call on my cell from Mark who tells me the Cruiser Gods are smiling on us and to come by his shop on my way home. I walk through the door, he smiles at me and throws me a key and says, "The blue FJ60 in the driveway is yours if you're up for fixing it. So... about 4 or 5 Saturdays worth of pulling off parts, fixing, cleaning, painting, and putting it all back together, and I'm driving home a fine running Land Cruiser again. It's been home for about 2 weeks now and still needs a new muffler and a smog test before it's on the road, but I've been going through it and fixing things like shorts in the wiring, some broken items, and some cosmetics. Now everything is working except for the headlights and the air conditioning. I did a compression test early on and the 2F was good all the way across.

Aside from giving me a Land Cruiser for free, Mark told me he wanted me to work on it at his place were I just had to walk inside to ask questions. Most of you know I'm more of the body guy than I am the engine guy, so I was walking in and out with questions each Saturday. One thing I'm really thankful for is that although Mark was there to answer each question, he let me do all of the work myself. I learned a lot in a month. This coming weekend I'm putting on some 31x10.5 15 BFG Mud Terrains that I got for a steal (I mean a steal) and replacing the muffler. Hopefully I get it smog tested the following Saturday. I can't tell you how badly I want to get in a Land Cruiser again. Here's a few pics of it before I started any work.

Thanks again Mark.
FJ60 at Mark's.jpg
2F Before.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a few after pics...
Front Grill Dismantled.jpg
FJ60 in Street.jpg
2F After.jpg

Fawking cool.

gene, what did you use to bend the tubes? i have been thinking about doing the same on my rig,i just haven't gotten around to it.
-Mike

:beer:'s x gawdzillion for Mark!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom