PrInSu Design Studio - 80 series roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah, OK, thanks @Saddletramp . FYI, there's another thing you can get to deal with that sort of issue, called a spherical washer pair (also at McMaster).

Morimoto 40"

IMG_7919.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

IMG_7924.JPG

IMG_7926.JPG

We had the Prinsu roof rack for road trip in Asia/Europe and it hold pretty well. Sometimes the brackets were getting loose and I had to tighten it little bit but that was all. I would really recommend this roof rack to everybody.

IMG_7452 by jorge sanchez, on Flickr
I just saw the pictures from your trip in Flickr. Congratulations, it looks like you had an amazing experience with your family

Going to pull the trigger on this rack soon. I read, or scanned all 20 pages here. Great stuff. One question I have left, and its just a matter of preference. are you mouniting RTTs forward or towards the rear of the rack. I saw one matched towards the rear. Question 1+ for the light rack on the 80, is there drilling involved on getting the wiring into the cab?

Thank you.

Ordered the rack, should have it by Wednesday this week. Also ordered the quick connect tent mounting brackets from front runner.

Going to pull the trigger on this rack soon. I read, or scanned all 20 pages here. Great stuff. One question I have left, and its just a matter of preference. are you mouniting RTTs forward or towards the rear of the rack. I saw one matched towards the rear. Question 1+ for the light rack on the 80, is there drilling involved on getting the wiring into the cab?

Thank you.
I've usually had the tent mounted closer to the rear of the rack. That has left me room in front for other items on the rack or room to use the sunroof opening.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

However the tent I have now covers most of the rack so it's still mounted to leave a bit of room at the front. It's been a good place for firewood etc.
IMG_0189 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I hope you have good liability insurance because the way you have that wood secured in the last picture is very dangerous.

I hope you have good liability insurance because the way you have that wood secured in the last picture is very dangerous.
haha! why!?

We were in a remote location. No other traffic to worry about. We weren't on public roadways with the wood in that location. It was only put there once we were on the dirt roads. Never saw another person on that trip. Besides it was secured well. We were driving quite fast on rough roads and not a single piece of wood ever moved.

haha! why!?

We were in a remote location. No other traffic to worry about. We weren't on public roadways with the wood in that location. It was only put there once we were on the dirt roads. Never saw another person on that trip. Besides it was secured well. We were driving quite fast on rough roads and not a single piece of wood ever moved.

Looks like this pic was about three hood scoops and several sets of tires ago....(and a bunch of other mods too I'm sure).

I guess the better question is: are you still running that light bar set up that way? Looks like no prinsu cut out wind deflector, and just bolted to the front of the crossbar? I was contemplating that same move recently. Do you get any additional wind noise, I mean assuming you're not carrying a bundle of wood and an RTT, 12 shovels, some axes, an awing and a snorkel? Never-mind, this is a dumb question. LoL. :cheers:

I took my wind deflector off for a trial run last year and wasn't much worse noise-wise on the highway, but if a lightbar was whistling up there I'd go nuts.

Looks like this pic was about three hood scoops and several sets of tires ago....(and a bunch of other mods too I'm sure).

I guess the better question is: are you still running that light bar set up that way? Looks like no prinsu cut out wind deflector, and just bolted to the front of the crossbar? I was contemplating that same move recently. Do you get any additional wind noise, I mean assuming you're not carrying a bundle of wood and an RTT, 12 shovels, some axes, an awing and a snorkel? Never-mind, this is a dumb question. LoL. :cheers:

I took my wind deflector off for a trial run last year and wasn't much worse noise-wise on the highway, but if a lightbar was whistling up there I'd go nuts.
yeah, that pic was a little bit ago. But not that long ago.

I have a 42” lightbar mounted to the wind deflector using the standard lightbar mounts that came with the lightbar. I mounted it so the top of the lightbar is level with the top of the rack.

I did not have any additional windnoise from the lightbar. Recently I replaced the lightbar. I had an odd noise that sounded like it was coming from the base of the windshield. I chased it for weeks trying to find out what it was. One day I opened the sunroof and put my hand on the lightbar when the noise was present and it went away. The new lightbar had a whistle at certain speeds. I made a small tweak to the angle of the lightbar and the whistle was gone. No more issues.

Thanks for all the info on this rack. Got it installed last night with help from Jay Warner family. Really like it... no wind noise, RTT mounted towards the rear. We have a sun roof again!!

P2.JPG

P3.JPG

P4.JPG

Prinsu 1.JPG

Thought I’d share an important little tidbit that messed me up when installing my Prinsu rack. There’s really no clear instructions about which is the right rail, and left rail. Of course, I choose the wrong way!
I had it setup, where the base of the rails bent inwards instead of outwards. This made the footprint not want to sit in the gutters and was resting more on the curved part of the roof. After struggling to get the mounts all installed and seeing them barely clamping on to the edge of the gutters, I realized the error...took it back off, swapped sides, and do it all over again.
Here’s a picture showing how the bottom needs to bend outwards- which made everything mount up nicely!
I wish this was called out in the instructions. Would have saved me a lot of rework, and scratched roof!

24379507-EEE7-43E0-89AF-93ACD1578729.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom