PrInSu Design Studio - 80 series roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let's see some pics of the raw aluminum! Anyone go that route?

LfbJb+tdRzKkCdqdSOBJWw.jpg

Here you go, @ewillis!

I just installed one of these on my hdj81 and it’s L brackets are hitting my door and rain visors. I had to grind off a good amount on the head of each bolt to get the clearance needed. Anyone else with this issue?!

07648954-B98A-4FFA-A783-D17E438A808F.jpeg

7C2F3E53-C691-4057-A49E-B1023EB4D8AD.jpeg

Try flipping the bolt...;)
20180720_213823.jpg

That was my idea but I feel I shouldn’t need to when paying 1k for a rack lol. Did you just cut the bolt to length so it wouldn’t stick out?
Just get new hardware...like $12

That was my idea but I feel I shouldn’t need to when paying 1k for a rack lol. Did you just cut the bolt to length so it wouldn’t stick out?
Seems like the rain visors might be your issue. Haven’t heard of anyone having this issue and the visors seem to be the uncommon variable.

I have this rack on my 80 and love the low profile. Only issue is it is a total PITA to install the tent. I'll be on a ladder with a 13 mil wrench for a couple of hours, trying to reach my arms under, and getting 1/4 wrench turn every hour.

So I mounted the tent to three cross members, and simply remove the side/torx screws and just remove the entire tent/crossmembers at once. It works awesome. When installling, I just lower the tent/crossmembers from the hoist onto the rack, and then thread on the torx bolts.

Hope this helps others.

Seems like the rain visors might be your issue. Haven’t heard of anyone having this issue and the visors seem to be the uncommon variable.
I trimmed the rain visor to match the door seem but it didn’t help. I’ll just flip the bolts like recommended above and shouldn’t be any issue. I love the rack. I just had it in my head that “by now and with how much it cost it should be perfect” :(

Hi

Are the brackets attached to the side panels steel or aluminium ? If they're aluminium won't they crack eventually ?

After using the truck for the past year as a road-tripper/RV I was ready to shed the weight of the roof top tent and actually wheel some trails. Last year I think we only ran like 4 real trails and spent most of the time just sticking to gravel roads instead. I can do that in a Subaru! I decided it was best to use the 80 for trails and dirtbag camping...

In lieu of the GFC RTT, I decided a Swag bag was a great compromise. Problem is, I'd need to store it on the roof since the 2-person swags are a bit long. I researched, read this thread and decided on a Prinsu. I had a Front Runner before and while it's a great rack, I didn't like how it looked. The Prinsu looked like it was made for the 80 Series, not adapted to it. I installed it yesterday and hacked up their light bar mount to work with my Baja Designs lightbar. It looks amazing and it's so light that I could put it on myself (with a bit of finagling with a moving blanket). Super solid project... photos to come.

Question: how are people mounting solar panels to these racks?

Question: how are people mounting solar panels to these racks?

This is on a Bowfin rack but the principle is the same. Get aluminum "L" brackets and drop it between the rails.

IMG_8856.jpg

solar.jpg

I'm about to order one of these racks from prinsudesignstudio.com and was wondering where I can source accessory mounts? Specifically looking for crossbars so my Thule snowboard rack connects, also stuff like a shovel/axe mount.

I love this rack...My only concern would be the "notch" in the front. I would bet I could snag every tree with it there.
Looks like those "cable slicer" things they have in the front of helicopters to slice through power lines you accidentally fly through (oops).
Could copy that and mount sharp hardened blades there to slice branches right off?

Looks like those "cable slicer" things they have in the front of helicopters to slice through power lines you accidentally fly through (oops).
Could copy that and mount sharp hardened blades there to slice branches right off?
Has literally never been an issue in the 4+ years I've had my prinsu rack.

I’ve had my Prinsu for about 2 years, love everything about it. I did flip the bolts and add the McMaster-Carr wedges that I rounded and painted. Almost 12,000 miles and zero complaints.
E5F0F245-9E07-409A-8BA2-A06C85B7C829.jpeg
58AEBBB0-7B89-4C2C-B1AA-EADD56E569C7.jpeg
1723D5F4-5B4E-471C-BA7F-64607F50CDF5.jpeg
A3B0172D-2176-45F4-8873-DE0071FF3FB9.jpeg

View attachment 2317825
Are you referring to this? to square the bracket surface to the bolt?

Yes, the wedges are below the bolt head. Are square to start I rounded them with a drill and file By stacking the washers in alternating sequence on threaded rod and nutted tight on both ends. Put the rod in a drill, drill held firmly in a vice . Lock Switch on and start to round with a heavy file. This would work even better in a drill press. I also knocked the corners down with a belt sander first. This helps the Bolt head make better contact versus only touching on a small portion of the head to L bracket.
AAEB3A5C-F55F-4EA0-828C-2919C56DFFD4.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom