Preserving Miss Kitty, circa 1964 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What a find, you are just awesome. I asked that question because I obtained an Alpha 30mm padlock (NOS) from Japan that was supplied with a FJ24 but never was used. I was told that Toyota used “Alpha” padlocks in Japan and “HHH“ padlocks on export models. However for under the seat toolbox they were 30mm and later were 35mm for spare tire lock. I will post pictures of 30mm Alpha Padlock in my thread.

@pardion was the picture of that HHH lock you posted from an actual 25 or 40? @Archie 1962 FJ25, I'm wondering the same thing you are. Was the Land Cruiser lock 30mm or 35mm? 'Cause I came across this peach in its original vinyl pouch and it would be nice to know for certain. Reverse side is unstamped. Pouch might be more unobtanium than the lock 🙂.

View attachment 2165963View attachment 2165966View attachment 2165967

View attachment 1831728
I see the light!

The cord is so nicely tied I'm afraid to undo it.
The receptical isn't broken but the plug doesn't want to go in very far. I suspect forcing it is how they get busted. Anyone ever refurbish one and have advice?

I found a spare early socket and took it apart. It's held together with a thin soldered brass washer. I didn't have a desoldering tool and did the hard way.
20200108_193701.jpg

Inside I found brass contacts and a triangular stop that were incredibly tight. The problem isn't the plug prongs are too long, so much as both old (brown) or newer (black) are too thick for the socket.
20200108_200900.jpg

To make a little space I crimped the bends in the brass contacts. Filing the triangular stop might also work, but it's pretty hard material.
20200108_191818.jpg

The short screw grounds directly to the frame. The long one is hot and has there is a fiber washer to help insulate it. It's a short hop for the single wire to the fuse box.
An adjustment might keep your plug from busting like so many, or just don't ever try to force the plug.

Last edited:
A recent observation:

There is nothing quite like letting distant family members show their endless appreciation for our LC restoration efforts by engaging them in a project via the retrieval and/or storage of old truck parts! ;)

A recent observation:

There is nothing quite like letting distant family members show their endless appreciation for our LC restoration efforts by engaging them in a project via the retrieval and/or storage of old truck parts! ;)
Hahaha, I hear ya! I had a distant family member in Mexico extract some NOS parts for me. :)

Hope they still pick up and return calls...

Hard to find real wiper blades for this old gal, but what do you know, found some NOS ones from Venezuela. There's 3 more pair on fleabay.
$_12.jpeg

The guy also has a NOS TNK wiper motor with the original packaging. It's way out of my league, but here's a pic to drool on.
s-l400 (29).jpg

s-l400 (36).jpg

Last edited:
Hard to find real wiper blades for this old gal, but what do you know, found some NOS ones from Venezuela. There's 3 more pair on fleabay.View attachment 2235584
The guy also has a NOS TNK wiper motor with the original packaging. It's way out of my league, but here's a pic to drool on.
View attachment 2235585
View attachment 2235586

MMMMMMM. I brought home a set of used wiper motors from a salvage 43 in Saudi Arabia.... but new ones :cool:

Are the wiper blades OEM?

They are described as Toyota brand NOS. The blades seem wide. No TOYOTA packaging shown in the only picture. We'll see when they arrive.

No pics in SOR's description, they say theirs are 'STK'. @JackA, did yours look just like this? Similar pricing either way.

Last edited:
They are described as Toyota brand NOS. The blades seem wide. No TOYOTA packaging shown in the only picture. We'll see when they arrive.

No pics in SOR's description, they say theirs are 'STK'. @JackA, did yours look just like this? Similar pricing either way.

Coo, I was curious. We stock the OEM Toyota at @ Cruiser Outfitters too, part# WIPB55010, we have 20+ in stock.

Arrived today from @Krondor Yazaki battery terminals.
I think these will be the spark to get me moving again on Miss Kitty.
Beautiful brass on these:
20200418_184916.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!

Nice!
I have seen them with a + and - on them to identify which post they go on, do those have that mark on them?

On the OEM wiper blades, I went down to my local Toyota Dealership last year and the Parts Department had them sent from the closest dealer and I picked them up 4 days later.

IMG_20200421_151252515~2.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. Just curious, how much were they?

I'll look for the receipt. From what I remember they were pricey but I was expecting that.

Waiting on these with baited breath. Two cones, two unbent frames with minimal surface rust, and maybe the original paint.
20200504_105257.jpg
20200504_104534.jpg

I may have some spares after Miss Kitty and my '68 are outfitted. I'm remembering my first trip where I made a frame out of plywood and painted it black.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom