Power Steering Gear Box 105 Series Sector Shaft/Pitman Arm Upgrade (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know, it's been 8 years since I overhauled that power steering pump and I've been in that dang system 6x times now....I hope this gearbox (7th trip) will be the end...but then I wonder about those 8 year old seals...:confused:

Is WTOR not the go to any more for rebuilds?

Installed my RedHead box yesterday. Went very smoothly and it's buttery smooth once I bled the system. So glad to not have red fluid dripping everywhere! I may hang onto my OEM box and shelf it until I need to replace the box again.

Is WTOR not the go to any more for rebuilds?
Read there was some decline and comments on them recently. Not sure if the conversation was in this thread or another. Readhead seems to be the leader lately in this arena.

Do you guys thing it's worth hanging onto my original LX steering box? I have a $250 core pending with RedHead but my original box wasn't abused and I am thinking about shelving it and rebuilding for when I need it (either 15 years from now when this one starts leaking or when I decide on 35+ tires and the 105 sector shaft upgrade).

Any one use Lee Power? What is Redheads turn time if you send them parts/box?

three days

F897298D-2EEA-437C-9BCF-E3E011265945.jpeg
CCA4ADC9-C0A1-43DE-B6ED-E9A916A1D444.jpeg
ECD1D0EF-E979-4603-80E8-823FDCC28848.jpeg
770CAD9F-66A6-430F-9CE4-ADA281069925.jpeg

Not exactly as the parts catalog only shows the superseded box part number and does not recognize that some of the guts are different.
You have to get a Parts Analyst (dealer/manufacturerer communications level) on the phone and tell the tale about how the box changes and "how am I going to help my customer out here when he needs a sector shaft for this new box he bought?".
So, just to clarify--if you order a new steering box, they send you the 105 box with 105 internals? And is the Pitman a separate purchase? Thanks!

Bought my rebuilt box from redhead with the upgraded 105 sector shaft and put an arm. They were easy to order from and gave me extra time to return the core. Great experience with them and they have a high quality product. Also installed the upgraded PS cooler from Wits End along with a rebuilt PS pump. Everything is like brand new and no more red fluid on the driveway.

0A7DB895-0949-4C2A-8857-5686CBE57425.jpeg

950AC486-3F4B-443F-B6FA-7D09073E5032.jpeg

Nice pics, but please turn the first pic sideways :flipoff2:

Did your steering improve in terms of wandering on the hwy or loosy goosy steering? Could you share the cost breakdown please?

Nice pics, but please turn the first pic sideways :flipoff2:

Did your steering improve in terms of wandering on the hwy or loosy goosy steering? Could you share the cost breakdown please?

From Redhead it’s

- $395 for the rebuild
- $250 core charge (you get this back when you send in your old one),
- $35 dollar shipping
- $35 return shipping

On top of the redhead cost, this is what it’ll cost you from Joey

- $85 Pump rebuild kit ($345 if you’d rather buy new)
- $260 for the Cooler
- $770 for sector shaft upgrade
- $320 for high pressure steering hose (I generally try to stay OEM, but I opted for the $40 Amazon replacement. So far so good.)

Thank you very much for the itemized list. :cheers:

On top of the redhead cost, this is what it’ll cost you from Joey

- $85 Pump rebuild kit ($345 if you’d rather buy new)
- $260 for the Cooler
- $770 for sector shaft upgrade
- $320 for high pressure steering hose (I generally try to stay OEM, but I opted for the $40 Amazon replacement. So far so good.)
Great list thank you, did you feel any difference in steering?

All of these gear boxes are at the point where they all need to be rebuilt. IMO, the 105 upgrade should be par for the course each and every time. Don’t do it any other way.

This one is heading out to Redhead for a rebuild today.

image.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but the concept of rebuild is basically replacing all the seals, right? During this process nothing else is being replaced in terms of hard parts. So how does this process make the steering box a little tighter?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the concept of rebuild is basically replacing all the seals, right? During this process nothing else is being replaced in terms of hard parts. So how does this process make the steering box a little tighter?

When I say rebuild, I’m also replacing the critical power piston.

Typically the preload on both the input section and the sector shaft adjustment screw are loose after years of use. Rebuilding the box assumes you are correcting those, rather than just resealing. I cringe when I see write-ups that suggest you just mark where various things are, such as adjusting screws and nuts, and return them to those places- those people are not gaining much from their labors, other than new seals. Would you do that for your wheel bearings? Same principle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom