Possible Rear Main Seal Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get a second opinion on a leak between the transmission and the engine. I have noticed the leak might be getting a little bit worse after I repaired the valve cover gasket and the distributor o-ring. The photos attached don't show much oil leaking because I wiped the area down before I took the pictures to see how quickly it is leaking. What I have been reading on here is that it may be the rear main seal but I wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas before I go and pull the engine and tranny. Kind of dreading doing this but I also hate leaks. Has anyone else had the same leak in the same area?

20200407_152707.jpg

20200407_152711.jpg

20200407_152731.jpg

that's not really a leak more of a seep. run it as is and wait till its worse as youll have to remove the trans to replace the rear main seal

It is bad to run it with the leak? Not too familiar with how it will affect the car.

a bad leak is when your losing a measurable amount of oil, a really bad leak is watching it pour out of the engine. your good don't even worry about it

I laughed at a friend when he was concerned because he got ONE drip per month.

I lose about 1.5 quarts every 3 months. My average driving is about 500-525 miles a month. I just put in that amount of oil when I see my oil light come on and stay steady... no biggie

I have the same leak. Looking in the inspection plate is helpful but far from definitive. The oil pan seal and the rear main are about 1/4 inch apart (rear main being above the oil pan). Determining where the oil actually comes from seems to be an educated guess. On mine I am assuming oil pan seal as with a rear main I'd expect it to sling oil all around the inside of the bell housing which is not the case. I'll get to it someday.

I also have a leak from that area but probably worse than that, pretty sure its the rear main seal as it looks like its weeping out of the inspection cover also, nothing above that. I'll just keep adding oil :)

Mine was leaking like this and I thought it's rear seal but it was just old FIPG between both pans and crankshaft seal. Do advice from above

IMG_20191106_025444.jpg

IMG_20191106_025450.jpg

IMG_20191112_023839.jpg

I would pay good money for mine to look like the OP. Lol.

No harm in letting it go. Just put a quart of oil in if the low oil light comes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom