Possible day of wheeling at Anthracite this Sunday July 30 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, we made it back to my rig this morning and it was in one piece. Phew, I was relieved. I had nightmarish apparitions throughout the evening, that the local hill people discovered it and took advantage of it's vulnerability. The way one of the employees reacted yesterday when we said we'd be back tomorrow had me worried. She spoke of broken windows, headlights, etc. My main concern was coming back and finding anything of value pilfered. I envisioned my truck up on some rocks with no wheels, no bumpers, and no winch.
Luckily, this was not a reality.

It took us all of ten minutes to put the new tie tod in and button up the wheels.
We stil had a good two or three miles back to the lot and I took it real slow and easy. I was concerned with something else happening to the front axle and really leaving us stranded.

Made it back to the lot safely and loaded it on the trailer. Took a peek underneath and the tie rod, which ws totally straight, was now significanly bent. Some weird forces going on with the broken control arm mounts.

IMG_3975.JPG

Here's a few pics of the rear lower control arm mounts that used to be attached to the fromt axle...

IMG_3972.JPG
IMG_3973.JPG

I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with this truck. I could put some rust free axles in it, which I have, or I might just sell it as it sits. If I go the axles route, it would also mean new springs and shocks, and brake hoses, and..........
Although, I do have a set of 37's at the shop mounted and waiting to install on something :hmm:

@jamarquardt22, we did utilize my new trailer!

IMG_3977.JPG

Poor truck went through the ringer yesterday. R/F flare almost torn off,
L/S doors are now dented, and a large dent in the left rear behind the sliding window. I backed hard into a tree and bent the spare tire carrier as well :oops:

It's starting to look like my'93 :rolleyes:

Yeah was quite the bitch dragging an 80 with almost no steering backwards through a tight rocky trail and negotiating all the turns around trees! Amazing that this story ended , or should I say got to this point, as good as it did. I managed to bend the passenger front fender on the 40 when I slid into a tree while trying to winch Greg's 80 off a tree. Whew was a tiring day but today has a happy ending.

Oh. I see. I thought a steering arm failure happened. I didn't realize it was the axle mount. How bad is the rest of the frame? If the axles are still sound and the frame is solid you could do a real 3 or 4 link for her.

What's the buy it now price on it?

Brian, if I do go that route, I'll give you first crack at it. Right now, it's parked up in the woods on my property (out of sight, out of mind). I'm going to let it simmer on the back burner for the time being. I have a LOT of other things going on right no that demand my attention...

Well, it turns out that I did not escape completely unscathed on Sunday. As I pulled out of the staging area at Anthracite I noted that the exhaust sounded significantly deeper. I discovered why once I arrived home. The pipe into the muffler broke off.

Does anyone know if PA requires two catalytic converters for inspection? I'm in Lehigh County if that makes a difference. If not, I think this could be a good opportunity to switch to a single cat and reroute the exhaust over the frame.

tGOPavt47rVXjfTO-KpVVCbRQVcens7Swc-5s769X8Ya6TckEYwXUPRR1RSSWI_yOqNibAKz18Dh5iv8ZfmV-Ub9H7NzoClAtVl0KWVVDYMxBbf3AWwwc-EjVn9_c8soW7Z39O6I6YMQl_VC_zmCQt_pxoYA6VOand3jFHrhL9pSpn1z6rfpb8FWZcJN7l7xB5u17T0u-Z6pmztFj16cGT-gH4SBJ7hM_c1qsXM4dxoPnI8z6XlWxhtavuQe4C_r05Wkci4nxp_rQwLZ3XIs6wM9IH3pLIpRqcXc_FwpEblxXqbPUaH_zKFx8cOejCM_eHBq9kd0gYAmgQQFek0MNhhMUi8Od74yfqrhjzOBcLSct9UQOMtt_Xey5jwLpPrkT2H0KFNIAornIi5X2ONITXCHLe31YTLyZs0b5sV-7vopI0nCC9S2aWBfTeJvbTWbnJYHfiTFMcwXl0rGgKEu9VYPV0vpqMc2MeaFcjngEt_hfQ6wIZD6HaO4KDZllTdkLEkJDdqxbMcqb3TYa-MVXg6as_0qrIQD_bVWHpbhM1aWm9I_dNV8Clpya6N-kh4FmKLUQG0dRSqwxf1_wDUFG_iSC4QTK_cIHFEG9AHf9sdEVmrgGOGq=w731-h974-no

Does anyone know if PA requires two catalytic converters for inspection? I'm in Lehigh County if that makes a difference. If not, I think this could be a good opportunity to switch to a single cat and reroute the exhaust over the frame.

96 and newer will require the check engine light to be out and have all of the rediness monitors set. I'm pretty sure the forward cat is the only one that is monitored by the computer so you would be fine deleting the rearward. I'm pretty certain that in Lehigh county pre 96 just gets a visual, so it that case you can do whatever you want as long as there is something that looks like a cat on the car.

Wow, what a story guys! And those control arm mounts @Crusha...:eek::eek::eek:.

Best of luck Greg, whichever direction you head with the truck.

Well, it turns out that I did not escape completely unscathed on Sunday. As I pulled out of the staging area at Anthracite I noted that the exhaust sounded significantly deeper. I discovered why once I arrived home. The pipe into the muffler broke off.

tGOPavt47rVXjfTO-KpVVCbRQVcens7Swc-5s769X8Ya6TckEYwXUPRR1RSSWI_yOqNibAKz18Dh5iv8ZfmV-Ub9H7NzoClAtVl0KWVVDYMxBbf3AWwwc-EjVn9_c8soW7Z39O6I6YMQl_VC_zmCQt_pxoYA6VOand3jFHrhL9pSpn1z6rfpb8FWZcJN7l7xB5u17T0u-Z6pmztFj16cGT-gH4SBJ7hM_c1qsXM4dxoPnI8z6XlWxhtavuQe4C_r05Wkci4nxp_rQwLZ3XIs6wM9IH3pLIpRqcXc_FwpEblxXqbPUaH_zKFx8cOejCM_eHBq9kd0gYAmgQQFek0MNhhMUi8Od74yfqrhjzOBcLSct9UQOMtt_Xey5jwLpPrkT2H0KFNIAornIi5X2ONITXCHLe31YTLyZs0b5sV-7vopI0nCC9S2aWBfTeJvbTWbnJYHfiTFMcwXl0rGgKEu9VYPV0vpqMc2MeaFcjngEt_hfQ6wIZD6HaO4KDZllTdkLEkJDdqxbMcqb3TYa-MVXg6as_0qrIQD_bVWHpbhM1aWm9I_dNV8Clpya6N-kh4FmKLUQG0dRSqwxf1_wDUFG_iSC4QTK_cIHFEG9AHf9sdEVmrgGOGq=w731-h974-no

If they don't do a visual inspection you should be ok. I went with the Magnaflow Y pipe which has the first cat attached and had a shop in town do the rest custom up over the frame with the biggest (quietest) Walker offset muffler he could fit. I've been running this setup for 3 years and have never had the check engine light go on. I did have to get the O2 bungs from Slee to have the exhaust guy weld in though. I can't remember if the Magnaflow Y pipe has the pre-cat bung or not.

I swapped out my tie rod and drag link for the BudBuilt units after a particularly rough Coal Mine a few years ago. No problems since.

80 Series Land Cruiser - 1991-1997

I swapped out my tie rod and drag link for the BudBuilt units after a particularly rough Coal Mine a few years ago.

I have Trail Gear, I think, heavy duty tie rod and drag link on my '93. I recently replaced the drag link (went Slee this time) as the threads became compromised due to a loose jam nut. I should have put some Loctite on it...

If I keep the '96, I will definitely go the same route.

I do like that BudBuilt has this as an option...

"For those that can break anything or who like suspenders and a belt- a .120 wall sleeve can be added for an additional $25."

I do like that BudBuilt has this as an option...

"For those that can break anything or who like suspenders and a belt- a .120 wall sleeve can be added for an additional $25."

Yup, that's what I did and painted it myself vs. the PC. Of course when you beef up the rod then the rod ends become the weakest point (maybe?). But probably swapping out a busted rod end is better than dealing with a bent rod.

Of course when you beef up the rod then the rod ends become the weakest point

I seem to recall a thread about this, and people thinking the weak link then becomes the steering box sector shaft. I think there were some claims by some of twisting a shaft.

Completely off topic, but Twisted Shaft was my stage name in the early 80's when I had a different "career".

You guys should have called me. I could have taken the tie rod off my 80 and brought a roll back. I'm 15 min from AOAA.

Damn, that would have made life easier! PM me your number for "next time" (hope it ain't me again...)

I'd rather replace a TRE than spend the time and effort straightening a tie or relay rod. If your worried about the sector shaft, either carry a spare box, or upgrade the shaft to a 100 series shaft... The part number supercedes the 80 (and probably 60) series sector shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom