plasma cutter and some ductape (1 Viewer)

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
Sizzling some bacon

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

dirtyboots

Atrocious Driving
From what I am gathering you are renting an apartment, so no shop or garage? Would you mind sharing what kind of welder, length of / type of extension cord (if any), and plug you are using? Those welds look great!

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
Just using a miller 140mig- on 110v and a beefy extension cord / hypertherm plasma cutter which has 240v plug. The miller is good up to 3/16 on gas with .o30 wire- 1/4" likes flux core or a second pass on gas. I had a dedicated 240 put in for the hypertherm.

No garage......fortunately I am close to 110 and 240 and big compressor.

Last edited:

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
I only had 20min. to work today so I worked on a pair of hood hooks similar to the fj40 ones (very rough hand)
image.jpg

Last edited:

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
I've used those bullet hinges on several things, like them a lot, but always in a vertical orientation, what are you rigging up to keep them for sliding off?

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
Tailgate will hold them in. . Also by making them "snug" up to the side rail.......they have to be fairly aggressively pushed to remove while still preserving free hinge action.

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
55 purists look away ! Inserting more rusty bacon bits. I decided I should keep the tailgate handle and make it work at some point down the road.
image.jpg
image.jpg

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
The gaps will be filled with some 1" square tube which I seem to be out of. The old bacon bits sit 3/4" recessed into the tailgate frame and despite the curve of the 55s rear end.....it seemed to line up with the taillight sections with a little prodding.

image.jpg
image.jpg

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Wow. This is really coming along. When I first saw this thread I was left scratching my head. As it's evolved, I'm starting to understand. Sometimes you have to think WAY outside the box to have a sane idea. Good job!!

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
Heya- Does anyone have an idea what grey i have from 1973 fj55 ? The machine grey primer /rust oleum isn't even close.

whitey45

SILVER Star
That was a short lived paki top and bows made by eshan, local shop near me can build soft tops but they charge big$$.

bugsnbikes

SILVER Star
Sides coming along and lining up with front and rear body lines. My hope was to keep a bit of 55-esque continuity front to rear even with the trayback/ute look.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom