PCV Valve replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

for my corvette, to de-carb it, i feed some seafoam in the pcv valve, until the car dies (or doesnt, mine doesnt) and the next day I rev it and blow some black smoke out.

can some seafoam in the pcv line be good for the land cruiser also? thanks in advance, im a newb on 80's

Lots have used seafoam here - many prescribe it for cleaning intake / pistons - I have used it as well. I'm not so sure I will again, however, as i got a O2 sensor code straight afterward i believe as a result of the seafoam, had to replace both sensors. I cannot promise the seafoam was definitely the cause, but the code was immediately afterward and some others have reported problems as well.

Search for Seafoam in 80s section, there are about 20 threads to read through.

I had the same problem with the PCV valve and grommet that plutonius mentions. My valve slid right out without much effort. The grommet separated into two part - upper and lower - with the lower going inside. After some fiddling with some needle nose pliers, I got the piece out. PITA.

As you all recommend, I went with OEM parts, they weren't expensive and I can almost guarantee the PO didn't ever have it changed. The truck is new to me so, what the hell, slowly go through and replace and baseline everything.

Thanks for this thread! Great information and lots of help. I knew what to expect going in and had appropriate tools handy.
Paul

Yes. loose and wobley is not desired, as it is not sealing anything in that case.

What happens to the engine if you don't get all the grommet particles out?

Nothing.

The bits of grommet will sit inside the valvecover baffle and shouldn't cause any damage. The worry is that they may work their way down and block an oil return passage. Slim chance, but theoretically possible.

If they work their way all the way down to the oil pan, the suction strainer will catch the bits. Eventually they would come out when you drained the oil.

However, that being said, I recommend trying to get all the pieces out. The shopvac trick seems to work best for me. Any tiny bits that fall down, just don't worry about them.

I'm looking at the parts right now. Here's a couple pics - Live Action! :hillbilly: <= turtleman?

Not a lot of room for a big piece to go through.
DSC_6021 (Medium).JPG
DSC_6022 (Medium).JPG
DSC_6023 (Medium).JPG

y'all are inspiring me not to mess with my PCV valve until i do my VC gasket in the spring.

so thanks.

This might be totally coincidental but after changing out the PCV valve, valve grommet and both hoses last weekend ... the idle stabilized at 650. Prior to the replacement, it used to hunt between 500 and 1200. It was sort of all over the place. Not now. Can this minor change affect the idle this much? Sorry for the rookie question, it just sort of surprised me.

Thanks
Paul

Done. I would say the grommet may not look brittle but it is! Cut it up and a small part fell but it was easily retrievable with some tweezers.

photo (8).jpg

I used a bearing splitter to pull the PCV valve. Nice and no stress. I did not heat the grommet beforehand - it was brittle and partially shattered. I'm pretty sure if I had heated it it would have come right out along with the valve.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Here are a few shots down into the valve cover where the PCV valve lives. You can make out a screen - good for keeping large chunks of grommet contained!

6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Note: this is from a parts vehicle. Lots of gunk in there from the PO who did not take care of it well

Im yrs behind the first post, but decided to let you know how I did. I used a vice grip to pull out the PCV, and needle nose pliers for the grommet. I pinched both sides of the grommet with the pliers and push the pliers down to get more of a bite past the initial grommet lip. A twist/pull and the while piece came out.

Seemed it was a little too easy, so i looked inside and saw a very old grommet ring inside. Used the needle noses and tweezers to fish it out.

Im yrs behind the first post, but decided to let you know how I did. I used a vice grip to pull out the PCV, and needle nose pliers for the grommet. I pinched both sides of the grommet with the pliers and push the pliers down to get more of a bite past the initial grommet lip. A twist/pull and the while piece came out.

Seemed it was a little too easy, so i looked inside and saw a very old grommet ring inside. Used the needle noses and tweezers to fish it out.
Hello all, been reading and learning a lot from all of you during all my baselining. Lots of help here and have save me a ton of money on my 97 fzj80. I am the second owner and purchased it with 20k miles. Now it had ~230k miles and still running strong. My question is On the pvc valve, in the package there are 3 parts, the valve, grommet and a seal. I have not read much info on the seal, but is that the piece that is causing the adhesion on removing the valve grommet?

Hello all, been reading and learning a lot from all of you during all my baselining. Lots of help here and have save me a ton of money on my 97 fzj80. I am the second owner and purchased it with 20k miles. Now it had ~230k miles and still running strong. My question is On the pvc valve, in the package there are 3 parts, the valve, grommet and a seal. I have not read much info on the seal, but is that the piece that is causing the adhesion on removing the valve grommet?
Not sure about the seal. Primary issue is that the grommet gets very brittle with age. When you try to remove the grommet, it shatters into multiple pieces and gravity takes over. Higher probability it's droping down into the valve cover than lifting out intact. I don't remember a seperate seal with my PCV. You using OEM?

Not sure about the seal. Primary issue is that the grommet gets very brittle with age. When you try to remove the grommet, it shatters into multiple pieces and gravity takes over. Higher probability it's droping down into the valve cover than lifting out intact. I don't remember a seperate seal with my PCV. You using OEM?
I’m 100% oem

There's just the grommet and the valve. Can post up a photo of the extra seal?

To remove the valve I use the engine lifting hook as a lever point along with a large set of vice grips or pliers. Also have a pair of small long narrrow needle nose pliers to fish out the broken pieces.

Before installing the new grommet I slather it with dielectric grease (which is a thick silicone grease) inside and out, that tends to keep the grommet supple longer, much easier to remove the PVC valve at a later date. The problem is we all tend to forget about cleaning the PCV valve or replacing that grommet (for about 20 years) which lets that grommet cook.

When I was going through the pm on a 97 FZJ80 a couple of years ago I found the original PCV valve still in place, non-functional and plugged with oil sludge.

For those looking for a complete kit
I have this kit. It literally changed my life. Before kit, I drove a beat-down old Land Cruiser. After kit, I drove an icon of automotive, off-road excellence. I also married a supermodel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom