Overland Bound: When a Toyota R&D Engineer Builds and Overland Rig: Extended Cut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyFish

GOLD Star
Threads
Website
twitter.com
Very interesting discussion of the Dan Rich's 80, the TRD supercharger prototype rig, in the wild.

*Edited, not trying to be an ass, but I think he confused his 300hp with crank versus awhp. Which is a huge difference on these trucks. Please don't expect 300awhp with your TRD SC.

Very interesting discussion of the Dan Rich's 80, the TRD supercharger prototype rig, in the wild.

Last edited:
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

I like the little Coleman mini-bike on his trailer. That way he can ride out for help when his supercharger dies. ;)

Interesting that it's a poverty pack with a GX tag on the back.

Those in the know, know the 80 is still king!

I typically don’t watch these types of videos but I am glad it was posted here because I actually enjoyed it and I’m going to steal some of his ideas and mods he has on his truck.

That was sure cool to see, loving it! Dan was great to work with and has a real nice 80 there. I appreciate the leap of faith @fj80toyman !

Saw that yesterday in my feed. Good to see it was just a nice straight-forward build. The 80 doesn't need crazy stuff to be very capable.

I think in the video he mentions a Long Ranger Fuel Tank. I found this: Toyota Landcruiser 80-Series | The Long Ranger. It says it's a replacement, but I'm wondering if you can add it. I'd love to have a larger tank.

Last edited:
*Edited, not trying to be an ass, but I think he confused his 300hp with crank versus awhp. Which is a huge difference on these trucks. Please don't expect 300awhp with your TRD SC.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who suspected this. I immediatly envisioned a FJ80 flying through a rally stage like a WRX.

Saw that yesterday in my feed. Good to see it was just a nice straight-forward build. The 80 doesn't need crazy stuff to be very capable.

I think in the video he mentions a Long Ranger Fuel Tank. I found this: Toyota Landcruiser 80-Series | The Long Ranger. It says it's a replacement, but I'm wondering if you can add it. I'd love to have a larger tank.

Here in Oregon where they pump gas for you it would be funny to see the look on the attendants face as you pass the 40 gallon mark.

Here in Oregon where they pump gas for you it would be funny to see the look on the attendants face as you pass the 40 gallon mark.
I was in Bend at the end of 2017 in search of snow! Yeah, that pumping the gas for you thing is weird.

There are a couple of good diy sub tank threads. I followed @LandCruiserPhil 's thread/ideas and it works awesome. I bought a $20 tank from a 4-door Tracker but same otherwise. Nearly 500 mile range is sweet, which reminds me that I need a road trip!

That’s totally like a Ih8mud build thread, he gotta be on mud too! He even has bowfincruiser roof rack.

He's on Mud, but I haven't seen him here in a while. @fj80toyman I think. It's a great looking rig in person, I remember cruising around through moab in it as a kid before a lot of these upgrades. That experience sort of formed some of my want to someday own an 80. It also introduced me to the Toyota phrase of "shunto" of which im now very familiar with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom