OSNC's Latest - a guy gets a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Happy Birthday Joe, glad to see that you were talked off the ledge of selling your 40! Driving mine a few times a week brings me great joy and I hope yours does the same for you for many, many years!

Happy Birthday!

Congrats and happy birthday indeed! Sounds like good enough reason for an evening cruise with jacob to a bottle shop...... or just a lap around town.

Jacob absolutely hates the 40! Between the clanging, bucking ride, and gear throws, he wants none of it - as a cultured dog, he prefers the climate-controlled, silent, smooth Creampuff. ;)

Appreciate any thoughts you all may have:

Instead of going with an aftermarket suspension, I am thinking of just rehabbing the stock suspension. I'd like to keep it stockish height and not spend eleventythousand dollars.

I was thinking to get all new OEM-style shackles with greasable pins, + greasable spring pins for the fixed mounts from Cruiser Outfitters; all new rubber bushings. Then disassemble the leaf packs, clean them up, and apply some graphite-impregnated paint. O, and new stock-height front shocks (I've already got new stock-height rear shocks).

My rationale is the existing shackles will likely get beat up during removal since it doesn't appear they've ever been off; and having greasable pins would be nice I suppose.

If the suspension is still mush, I can source an additional leaf per pack - not an add-a-leaf, but perhaps a longer. lower rate spring.

I had no idea when the last time the plugs and wires were changed, so I did that today with OEM parts - Denso plugs and Toyota wires. Dang thing runs nicely! Thankfully, the old plugs looked fine to me, no areas of concern whatsoever:
full

I did have to remove the coil and turn it upside down (back to stock?) so the coil wire would fit; the old aftermarket coil wire was 18" long. It was a relief when everything ran the proper direction, instead of upside down or backwards.o_O:p:beer:

Welp I got back from PA and the OCD softtop - bows - MT cage deal was real! Everything is new and unused, protective film still on the windows, bikini top included.

I truly hate to score a deal from someone's misfortune, but after talking with the seller, I am relieved. She bought the 40 for herself, and her husband was an enthusiastic supporter (and tinkerer). Just when they got started, he was diagnosed with ALS (which took him quickly), so she sold the 40. Everything has been stored in their (amazing) home since (4 yrs). She now has a Rubicon and a Sequoia, and is moving cross-country in less than a month. A truly amazing lady in so many ways - can't wait to send her photos of the bows + top installed. :)

Welp I got back from PA and the OCD softtop - bows - MT cage deal was real! Everything is new and unused, protective film still on the windows, bikini top included.

I truly hate to score a deal from someone's misfortune, but after talking with the seller, I am relieved. She bought the 40 for herself, and her husband was an enthusiastic supporter (and tinkerer). Just when they got started, he was diagnosed with ALS (which took him quickly), so she sold the 40. Everything has been stored in their (amazing) home since (4 yrs). She now has a Rubicon and a Sequoia, and is moving cross-country in less than a month. A truly amazing lady in so many ways - can't wait to send her photos of the bows + top installed. :)

Awesome...you owe me a cold soda!

Awesome...you owe me a cold soda!
Ahhhh. I can't help but notice you said "soda". So that's how you manage to get so much done so quickly! It's all coming together now! And, I bet your recycling bin isn't full of glass like many of ours are.

Ahhhh. I can't help but notice you said "soda". So that's how you manage to get so much done so quickly! It's all coming together now! And, I bet your recycling bin isn't full of glass like many of ours are.

Yep...I crush diet cokes like John Daley, and red bulls and Dr Pepper...:bounce2:

It turns out the cage is MetalTech's Jackson cage, not the front profile cage - so this is an even better deal than before!

Working at my usual glacial pace: I now have a full stock, sealed OEM exhaust courtesy of @mdemeglio that I experimentally coated with POR15 hi-temp exhaust paint. So much quieter and more pleasant overall; and (knock on wood) the dang 1F is running like a mofo.

Got everything off the rear end to do the rear sill.

Next 2 projects, aside from sill, are refreshing the suspension and prepping the soft top bows. Looking for a simple.starter paint gun setup now....

Last night after dinner, I took a ride in the 40 and for me - it was a watershed moment. For others, i suspect you'll roll your eyes.

I drove my usual "test route" around Holly Springs/Apex and was heading home, then decided to turn away and just drive. After another turn or 2, I had no idea where I was so I just kept driving. I saw a sign that I was in Chatham County, then may have seen one for Johnston County, not real sure as it was pitch black, 2-lane road 55 speed limit and I was watching for deer (CityRacer LED headlights are awesome btw). Kept my phone in my pocket and continued driving....

All told, it was about an hour of driving the backroads, then I felt a need to figure out where I was and maybe head home. Rambling along whatever road I was on, I didn't see any place to pull over in order to check nav, so I continued on and finally saw some street lights. Highway 1, bingo. Got on 1 North and probably maintained 60 mph for ~15 mi before getting to the Hwy 55 exit; and from there 3 mi to my house.

Why is this important? For me, it was That Drive where I really got confidence in the 40. It pulled strong, steered decently, and stopped without drama. There were no hiccups, no issues whatsoever - just drive and enjoy. With the windows down, vents open, and hot air blowing in all around, it was also somewhat comfortable this cool evening. While there's plenty more to do, the work is paying off and I suspect I'll meet my goal of doing road trips in it in 2018.

Think long term. Just tackle one issue at a time with some local help. Just get it driving well and stopping well and drive it when you can and bond with the old gal. It'll be Fall before you know it.
Sounds like the "bond" was made. Congrats! I knew in my heart that you'd get to this point and I'm so happy that you kept the 40. Good work, Mr. Joe. Well done!

Love it! Erica and I go for Cruiser rides all the time (easy people....I'm married, so....no). We love to just jump in the 40 and drive "that-a-way" until we are lost and then, eventually, decide to find our way home.

Following up on my request for help with the rear sill, here is what I am working with. Aside from the sill itself being completely gone, it appears to me the driver's side will need a patch where the sill is/was; but the passenger side looks ok or require some very minor work (for someone who wants to retain as much patina as possible). Let me know if you agree/disagree.

Driver's side:
full

full

Passenger side:
full

full

Ouch! That looks like active rust. While I can appreciate patina, I wouldn't want more of the truck eaten away. Personally, I would put solid steel in it's place and try to blend to the old paint.

Patina-Italian word for "rust I would rather not take care of so let's convince folks that it's cool"

I agree with Jonathan, I'd be cutting all that out and replacing it at the same time I did the sill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom