Operation Olive, My 1975 FJ40 Ground Up Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some more progress today, but that is about to come to a Halt! I am traveling for the next week to two weeks. some vacation combined with work. I wanted to keep the momentum rolling so I busted out the outer rocker today. Almost done , but the final grinding is still to come. I Fab the rotten piece where the floor meets the outer rocker and welded it in. Pained it all with POR15 Then welded it up. Door still fits.:p
IMG_0925.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg
IMG_0927.jpg

More pics......For those of you who haven't done this. When you cut out the old rocker the part just below the door will slightly bend inward. To fix this when attaching the new panel I attached the panel loosely with the bolts then started with a tac weld at the front. I then worked towards the rear and used a screw driver to gently pry it flush with the new panel and welded bit by bit to the rear as I went prying slightly to line it up.
IMG_0931.jpg
IMG_0932.jpg
IMG_0933.jpg

I just went back to page 1 of your thread and read the whole thing. Great job! I too will be at this stage someday. I have one question for you: what sort of media did they blast the body with? I have my own blaster, I was going to use sand on the frame, springs, & axles and use glass beads on the body but some even think glass is too abrasive for sheet metal. Just wondering what you used.

"throughout the history of 4x4s only a few earned the right to be called lengendary. The original FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser is one of the few" - TLC Icon

I am not entirely sure what was used on the body. I use aluminum oxide for the rust removal. I will probably get something less abrasive for the hood and doors since I will be doing that myself and there is no rust on those parts. Let me know how the glass beads work out. Honestly I don't think it's to big a deal if you put a dew coats of sandable primer on. However this is my first time doing this rust type of body work and blasting.

Operation Olive! I renamed the thread because I finally decided on a color. Olive 653 (base coat clear coat) will be the new color of the Cruiser. I held onto the idea that I would restore this cruiser 100% original, but I realized that I want this rig to be my DD. The result is that it will have a few non factory mods (P/S, Front Disc brakes, and A/C) . So I decided that since the Purist dream was dead I might as well paint it my favorite Cruiser color. Olive Brown or Olive Green Color code 653
coolfj40_2155_93824364.jpg

broth9640 said:
Operation Olive! I renamed the thread because I finally decided on a color. Olive 653 (base coat clear coat) will be the new color of the Cruiser. I held onto the idea that I would restore this cruiser 100% original, but I realized that I want this rig to be my DD. The result is that it will have a few non factory mods (P/S, Front Disc brakes, and A/C) . So I decided that since the Purist dream was dead I might as well paint it my favorite Cruiser color. Olive Brown or Olive Green Color code 653

The only thing better than restoring a factory vehicle is restoring a vehicle better than the factory. Most of the purists are die hard pavement pounders anyway. Build it your way and have fun!

My long distance provider is Black Hills Ammunition.

Well I finally was able to put some time in on the cruiser. I have been very busy with work and a job interview out in Dubai. I was offered the job, but I am trying to negotiate a March start date rather than December 12th. So besides all the usual stuff that goes along with a move this big, I am now on the clock to get this cruiser back together so I can ship this thing over to the middle east. Here is some pics. A bit of progress has happened with very little pics. I will try and up the amount of pics.

Just getting all the little holes that need drilled before body work begins. Pretty happy that the hard top and front doors fit perfect. Still waiting on hard top seals so I can fully mount it then hang the Amby doors and weld in the support brackets with the captured nuts.
IMG_1117.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg

Still waiting on hard top seals so I can fully mount it then hang the Amby doors and weld in the support brackets with the captured nuts.

You mean weld in the brackets so the plates can float around inside, right? They're not supposed to be fully welded so you can adjust the doors.

Nice choice of colors. :)

Yep exactly. I just want to get the top on and make sure everything lines up right before i drill the holes in the panels and then weld in the support brackets that have the captured floating nuts. Everything has fit perfect so far, but I did replace both rear panels and the rear seal. Crossing my fingers that it all fits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom