Operation Olive, My 1975 FJ40 Ground Up Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1429827850.091901.jpg

Last Pic. I still need to finish up the passenger side rear tie in, but I have to head off to my real job! :crybaby: Hopefully I can get it done on Monday and have the frame , axles, and springs sent off to the sand blaster.
View attachment 595226
Hey Gents (DanS HJ-45 & broth9640),
I am about to tie-in my Metaltech cage to my rig and how do you guys liking the frame tie-in with the Poly Bushings? Was it worth the extra fab and install and see any issues arise? I am debating what to do... Weld them straight to the frame or basically follow what both of you did. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Christian

Hey Gents (DanS HJ-45 & broth9640),
I am about to tie-in my Metaltech cage to my rig and how do you guys liking the frame tie-in with the Poly Bushings? Was it worth the extra fab and install and see any issues arise? I am debating what to do... Weld them straight to the frame or basically follow what both of you did. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Christian

I have liked it. Of course, we haven't had to remove them for any reason, but the cage is pretty unnoticeable. It doesn't get in the way of anything, doesn't vibrate a lot, and it just sits there being safe.

The only thing I did that I didn't like is that I put the cage as far to the outside as I could, to give as much room for the leg on the clutch pedal as possible--which means that I can't crank the windows up and down with the door closed. It clears the doors, but the door crank hits the cage, so I have to open the door slightly to roll the window up or down. Which is a minor inconvenience, but no big deal.

Dan

I have liked it. Of course, we haven't had to remove them for any reason, but the cage is pretty unnoticeable. It doesn't get in the way of anything, doesn't vibrate a lot, and it just sits there being safe.

The only thing I did that I didn't like is that I put the cage as far to the outside as I could, to give as much room for the leg on the clutch pedal as possible--which means that I can't crank the windows up and down with the door closed. It clears the doors, but the door crank hits the cage, so I have to open the door slightly to roll the window up or down. Which is a minor inconvenience, but no big deal.

Dan
That is great to hear. I am definitely leaning more towards using the bushings for the tie-ins. Now for the bolts that ties in the bushings to the frame, did you use a grade 8 steel bolts? Thanks Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom