Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just the phone charging was too much for the cig port wire? Or had that wire rubbed on something and shorted out? What about the fuse?

Just the phone charging was too much for the cig port wire? Or had that wire rubbed on something and shorted out? What about the fuse?

I’m still in-camping. I’ll do some CSI soon.

73BA4978-23FD-4802-BC18-86A8BFD8DF1D.jpeg
8D3A44CC-E22E-4B72-A551-FD7A8CD767F5.jpeg

Loaded up some logs for my carpenters

3DE885B1-9ECD-4087-97BB-71F76ED5D8CE.jpeg

Unpacked a weeks worth of boxes collected for the 45 and 40 projects I have going
E6C2F860-9E55-471E-94A5-37FFC65CA4F9.jpeg

Loaded up the 45 to get some tires mounted tomorrow for the 40
CD8671A7-6D06-41B1-8EEA-4C4B6607061A.jpeg

Looks like the fuse melted but did not fail. Weird. This was actually the OEM wiring. The yellow wire I yanked out turned out to be the stereo shop switched 12v source.

I’m going to just 86 the OEM 12v plug and install a good Blue Sea unit with a dedicated wire from the battery

Does not look like anything else got damages

62DBF4A0-2C15-4C1E-945C-0D8FA41D8D7E.jpeg

3D299D52-D583-480B-994C-AB034ED83619.jpeg

C6504D79-CBBA-4BBE-BB0E-52CC1A88972E.jpeg

21FD1B05-876D-4FB3-9E93-B43D82E2BADF.jpeg

1E29BC9F-7D32-417C-8FF2-7E9244437A58.jpeg

5BF6B1CE-0C87-41A5-B786-F2F3FD454DF5.jpeg

Holy Sheet! Was that the fuse from the panel or did you have one in-line ?

Not that it would matter with that much melting, but yellow fuse is 20 amps and cig circuit takes a 15 amp (blue fuse) and I replace mine with a 10 amp on that circuit just to be safe with old wires.

In earlier post, you said only the phone was charging?

Man, I'm ripping mine out too and putting in something Heavy Duty with an inline fuse or resettable breaker.

I don't know what that fuse is, but this is why in only buy USA-made fuses. I just don't trust CCP-made critical components (if that's what that is).

ATO / ATC Fuses - USA Made - Sherco Automotive & Marine Supplies - https://www.sherco-auto.com/atc-ato-made-in-usa.html

Good thing you had the presence of mind to act so quickly! 🦸‍♂️

Yep. I saw it was a 20. No doubt it was the little plug. When I tossed it and bought the jump pack it would not keep my phone above 20% just listening to a book. I stopped and got a good plug at a truck stop and it shot to 100% in less than an hour.

I just eliminated the factory cig plug and left the fuse out.

New 12v with constant power installed.

Done.

3C5BBA44-6A93-4CA9-B3C8-50AA460AC072.jpeg

I have to admit it freaked me out.
And rightly so. It's one thing to let the smoke out of the wires, and quite another to let out the fire!
Great job not freaking out and burning down the house.

@wngrog

Sorry, Nolen, I know this has prolly been asked 50 times, but I searched back through this thread but couldn't find where you made the switch from the Fifteen52's to these wheels and described them ...

City Racer 16s with Geolandars ? 265 or? I'm ready to replace my 15 year old BFGs.

Absolutely beautiful FJ60, btw. :beer: Kinda rugged minimalist perfection.

1649017087040.png

Last edited:
@wngrog

Sorry, Nolan, I know this has prolly been asked 50 times, but I searched back through this thread but couldn't find where you made the switch from the Fifteen52's to these wheels and described them ...

City Racer 16s with Geolandars ? 265 or? I'm ready to replace my 15 year old BFGs.

Absolutely beautiful FJ60, btw. :beer: Kinda rugged minimalist perfection.

View attachment 2970627
The Fifteen52 look was just too non Toyota for me. The 285s with the spacers. All that. I wanted to go back to plain Jane

There is a Steel Wheel thread in the tire section with all the info on Steelies that work

After all the time crying and cussing removing the OEM rubber dampening over the years I feel like a real dope adding more to my cars. Hopefully it is worth it. Will see. It’s cheap and easy once you get the hang of it.
I've had my carpet from @dnp lying around since January but it's finally warming up enough that I'm going to tackle the project. So is the sound deadening material worth it? i'm torn on whether or not to do it as my door seals are so bad I doubt I would even notice the noise difference.

I've had my carpet from @dnp lying around since January but it's finally warming up enough that I'm going to tackle the project. So is the sound deadening material worth it? i'm torn on whether or not to do it as my door seals are so bad I doubt I would even notice the noise difference.
I'm confident Nolen will agree, but I definitely think it's worth it. I used to have the strong belief that all that sound deadener was sort of snake oil(ish). However after having put it in my 60, I'm a believer now. It's not as much a dampening of the sound (although it does some of that), but it's more a dampening of the metal. And, I've found the biggest, most noticeable difference is in the doors and quarter panels, because the metal isn't as thick as the floors. If you want to do a quick experiment, buy some at least 80mil thick material (I've always used Noico, because it's less expensive and it has no smell, but there are other less expensive alternatives out there now - I just can't speak to whether they smell or not). Make sure the window is rolled up, and take off your driver's front door panel. Then, clean off the inside of the outer door skin, and stick a generous amount to the inside of the outer door skin. It doesn't have to cover every square inch, so just apply it to the areas that are easiest to reach.

Once that's done, walk over to your passenger front door, and pop the door handle. By this, I mean lift your handle up, not enough to open the door but enough to where you can let it go and the spring will make it snap back down. Do that a few times, and listen to the door "ring." Very hollow and very metallic. Again, it actually rings. Now do the same to the door you just dampened. It's like pounding sand. Totally dead, with no ring. I can not drive my 60 for several weeks, and every time I go to get in it, I'm reminded of the sound deadener. It's so unusual when I open now, it's conspicuously different.

All that's to say: does it keep heat out? Maybe. Does it keep sound out? Maybe. Is the truck quieter overall with this stuff in it? Absolutely. No question about it. While I can't pinpoint all the things this material does, I CAN tell you it's an overall quieter vehicle with it............it takes a little time to install it, but it's not expensive.

I definitely think it's a job worth doing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom