Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Output Shaft you were a big help in the past talking me off the ledge from tossing this stupid evaporator out 3 years ago.

I am going to pull it this weekend and make sure no fluid is trapped in the lines

Here is my current setup.

Stock line to stock OE filter to OE fuel pump.

Pump to PowerSurge to Holley

Holley back to PowerSurge

PowerSurge to stock return line.

I’m 100% certain all the hard lines are clear.

As for the charcoal canister I am running a Delco with a Delco is external check valve that’s T’d in to the vacuum advance to only pull vacuum under throttle and not at idle.

Gas cap is vented like this.

B63FEB68-5852-4736-BAD8-6B0775E25C49.jpeg

With the cap like this no pressure is building but lots of fumes are escaping.

It’s running great but as I described above I’d love to know what’s causing the bubbling after I shut down. It could be bubbling while running but I can’t hear it then.

I took apart the evaporator hoses today, shortened them and reinstalled it in the stock location

There was some wet gas in one of the ports.

I blew everything out.

Drove it. Still bubbling.

Must be something to do with the Sniper return.

5A51CEAD-769D-4DA7-966A-37E5A344B831.jpeg

I was also able to get a “new” glovebox to replace the one we chopped up to hide the AFI computer.

7E90627F-6051-420A-AD9C-9A4B53864586.jpeg

Wngrog..........Hope you get it sorted.....I'm following your lead:)

I think it’s perfect now. Very happy with it. Zero issues.

I took apart the evaporator hoses today, shortened them and reinstalled it in the stock location

There was some wet gas in one of the ports.

I blew everything out.

Drove it. Still bubbling.

Must be something to do with the Sniper return.

View attachment 2073730

I was also able to get a “new” glovebox to replace the one we chopped up to hide the AFI computer.

View attachment 2073729
Did you figure the problem out?

Did you figure the problem out?

Well all the smells I’ve had for years since I relocated that thing are gone so that is a huge win.

The bubbling I’m hearing in the tank is just the return sorting itself out after I kill the engine.

I was in a 40 with a Sniper last week and I heard the same bubbling when I switched the key and when I shut it off.

Loading up Ole Blue for a trip to the Ouachita Mountains this weekend. Windows down weather. So excited to get outside.

ACD8B97F-ADCE-40F2-B079-90A4EC8E67DF.jpeg

So far I’m so impressed with my new setup. Zero issues. Decent mileage and I really got
To test the Auburn LSD, 255’s and Sniper today. Real technical slow speed stuff and wet and muddy to boot.

amazing setup.

27843CA7-3FAF-42A4-A4C2-E3CCD7AF6E3E.png

481D507A-855E-4F08-9950-84D58A128EB6.jpeg

DFABE4D2-BBA2-4635-915A-1CAFD18886B8.jpeg

Crazy, not a post on this truck since October.
28 degrees this morning and the Sniper popped the 2F to life without a studder.
Made a round trip to the UPS store to offload some items to 4Plus, Mosley Motors and Valley Hybrids and then went mural hunting for Mural Monday on my IG Page @89nolder.

I bagged a nice one

D4DBEC28-951C-44FD-9A0D-B0EFC2C5C514.jpeg

40B2E213-94F5-478B-9CBC-4B26DFF2130F.jpeg

Thinking about that bubbling noise. Just a guess but could it be that the return line is heating up close to the motor, vaporizing the fuel and pushing it back into the tank after shutdown? It is perplexing that you are still getting tank pressure with GM canister. Venting the gas cap kinda makes the canister pointless. I like the idea of the purge on the vac line to the "dizzy" advance with a valve so it only purges while at advance. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your updates.

@MoaByte , I think when I drilled the extra vent into the inside of my cap I stopped the pressure buildup. I know I can see fumes in that area on a real hot day. There is no pressure in the tank anymore. Also, all my returns are pretty heavily heat shielded.

I can say putting the evaporator in the fender back in the OE spot with correct length hoses got rid of all the fumes in the truck when parked.

I feel like the EFI puts more stress on the return system than Mr T designed it for.

The Powersurge specs 5/16” return from it to the tank. I might would discuss with them porting any subsequent installs with a 3/8” return just to see if that makes a difference.

Im doing an in-tank pump on a 40 build right now and I plan on doing 3/8 feed and return all the way to the tank and I’m keeping the OE evaporator system in tact.

I sure love what this combo brings to the table.

255/85-16’s get me the rubber overdrive to cruise easily at 75 without taxing the 2F

The stock 4 speed has the best shift pattern to me and I just love it everywhere but on slow technical trails over the H55

The Sniper.

All this together makes for a real winner in an FJ60.

C32F897A-DE15-4DE6-8E33-54C63AEFBF42.jpeg

Slowly getting mine together. I put a long-range 62 tank and pump in. Working through all the details. Getting rid of the emissions and spaghetti monster has brought my blood pressure way down.

View attachment 2188077
Looooooove the headers 😁
Screenshot_20200121-072312.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom