Oil cooler for late model 1FZ-FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys

Im building a stroker 105mm 1FZ-FE with lots of goods and Im gonna punch the hell out of it so im wondering if I need to have an oil cooler kit similar to this one?:

Hayden Fluid Coolers 1040

what is your thought guys? should I just buy a kit? or just make my own one like buying a sandwich style oil filter adapter and then do the houses and fitting and radiator?
I know 1FZ has a really good oil system but I just want to make sure that Im doing the right thing

need your recommendation plz

thanks

I am also on the stroker path.
I'm not sure if an add on cooler is necessary. Pretty easy to add later, and to build for that matter.
I would just monitor oil temp first and then decide. No reason a bore stroke will make oil get hotter than allowed.
What bore are you planning on. Have you sonic tested yet? I'm just waiting for my tester to arrive before I decide on bore.

I am a little confused as to what the end goal is? You're stroking to 105 from 95, which stroker are you using? Are you doing custom low deck pistons and longer rods to combat the rod/stroke length? If you are punching the hell out of it, how big are you going? Your bore size is ultimately going to be limited by headgasket availability unless you are custom cutting copper headgaskets. I haven't seen any of the stroker kits with oversized pistons, but I have seen guys overseas bore to 102.5mm if NA, but most keep it at 101mm if adding boost. What are you going to do for engine management when you have this engine with a 16% bigger displacement? Are you modifying the head to also increase airflow, if so you will quickly be way past the stock MAF adjustment range.

As for an oil cooler, the 1FZ has an oil to coolant cooler on the exhaust side of the block, it is a little odd as it acts a lot like the transmission cooler in the radiator, quickly bringing the oil up to temp but also cooling it to coolant temps. If you really wanted to increase cooling as much as possible and were ok with longer warm up times you would removed the oil to coolant cooler and use the oil ports from there to an external air/oil cooler. You would need to also loop the coolant back into the block but it would essentially help with oil and coolant temps.

Hello guys

Im building a stroker 105mm 1FZ-FE with lots of goods and Im gonna punch the hell out of it so im wondering if I need to have an oil cooler kit similar to this one?:

Hayden Fluid Coolers 1040

what is your thought guys? should I just buy a kit? or just make my own one like buying a sandwich style oil filter adapter and then do the houses and fitting and radiator?
I know 1FZ has a really good oil system but I just want to make sure that Im doing the right thing

need your recommendation plz

thanks

Last edited:
I am a little confused as to what the end goal is? You're stroking to 105 from 95, which stroker are you using? Are you doing custom low deck pistons and longer rods to combat the rod/stroke length? If you are punching the hell out of it, how big are you going? Your bore size is ultimately going to be limited by headgasket availability unless you are custom cutting copper headgaskets. I haven't seen any of the stroker kits with oversized pistons, but I have seen guys overseas bore to 102.5mm if NA, but most keep it at 101mm if adding boost. What are you going to do for engine management when you have this engine with a 16% bigger displacement? Are you modifying the head to also increase airflow, if so you will quickly be way past the stock MAF adjustment range.

As for an oil cooler, the 1FZ has an oil to coolant cooler on the exhaust side of the block, it is a little odd as it acts a lot like the transmission cooler in the radiator, quickly bringing the oil up to temp but also cooling it to coolant temps. If you really wanted to increase cooling as much as possible and were ok with longer warm up times you would removed the oil to coolant cooler and use the oil ports from there to an external air/oil cooler. You would need to also loop the coolant back into the block but it would essentially help with oil and coolant temps.

I also thought about external oil cooler. Easy to plumb off of stock oil cooler or use a filter adapter, and while you're at it a remote filter. You can either leave the stock cooler in and in tandem, cut it out of the loop, or remove it completely. If you remove it completely you just need to put frost plugs in the two holes in block where the stock one sat. You could leave it bare or just put a cover on it for aesthetics.
I would still suggest monitoring temp first as you actually don't want your oil too cool. Look up a temperature range for your application, it also depends on type of oil used. It's way more important to warm up your oil to operating temperature, than coolant, as oil does not have the lubriscosity it was designed for at lower temps.

@Raad- why do you think you need to alter the oil cooling system in the first place. I'm confused? Liquid to liquid coolers are most efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom