Nut & Bolt Frame-Off 1978 FJ40 Restoration (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I knew that was coming and you are right. 3.73's do have their place. Just trying to make a point.

Def a good candidate. I'll not be in the market again until this one is sold.

I'd really love to do a late model 40, like an 82-84

If you wanted a project while this one is on the auction block I'm trying to find someone to do paint and body on mine....haha

Or I can bribe you with some cold beer and fresh seafood if your on the coast my way for some of your experienced advice on bringing one of these back like you have.

The later models do have a draw about them I can't describe I was looking at a couple last month thinking about buying. Using the it's got ps and ac to justify the difference but it's to hard to trust what's being sold out there in most cases.

The thing that adds value is documentation like this thread. That's why icons get a flash drive full of pics, data, part numbers etc attached to the keychain.

Looks like you've got the skills and tools. I would look for a 79 in the classifieds here and fix it up after as your next one if your interested in that route. Heck most of the flippers get them from here and spend 100 on rattle can paint for the frame, add some bfg tires and sell for 10k more

Last edited:
I've been swamped with my Small Engine business, so I haven't had too much free time for the cruiser. Good news is, is that I'm looking at hiring help to keep up with demand, which should net me just a bit more free time.

Lots of pewter parts going on:

Loosely fitted glove box cover.
IMG_9397.JPG

Got the lines for the fuel tank/breather assembly sorted, and covered with these shrouds.
IMG_9398.JPG

Cooling fan box is refinished (awaiting a new decal for now). Also newly painted pewter heater line shroud (loosely fitted)
IMG_9399.JPG

Last edited:
And the rear heater hoses are OE 1978

I can't tell if you are trying to be helpful or a smartass.

ha...

looking good.

no rivets in the shift diagrams on the 'pocket' door?

I forget on which years it changed, but I think it was on the earlies...74-76 and older may have been riveted on, the laters were attached with screws. My past 78 and 77 both were on with screws.

Iirc, mine were riveted.

But...I think the screws look nicer....

Bump. Curious if this thing is running and driving yet?

He's making money not spending it.

Oh yeah, it is that time when everybody realizes they didnt drain the fuel out of the weed eater or mower last fall. His busy season.

Bump. Curious if this thing is running and driving yet?

Ha. I was wondering when somebody was going to ask. Yeah, work has been super busy lately. But, that's not what has been slowing this project down. I had to collect a bunch of parts, and then blast them, and then ship them off to Colorado for plating. It will be several weeks before they even get back to Jackson.

Plus I've been really busy with life. We just bought a piece of property and it's been taking up a lot of our free time and energy.

Lookie what came in today!

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom