Nut & Bolt Frame-Off 1978 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started fitting the hood

IMG_9301.JPG

IMG_9302.JPG

IMG_9303.JPG

IMG_9304.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_9325.JPG

Finally getting around to doing this

Last edited:
IMG_9324.JPG

Also, made a big pile of parts to blast.

Last edited:
Found these cool labels on the back side of some of the roof parts.

IMG_9321.JPG

IMG_9322.JPG

Progress

IMG_9328.JPG
IMG_9339.JPG
IMG_9341.JPG
IMG_9342.JPG

Last edited:
So we are at the meeting the other night looking at various trucks and I casually mention to Andrew I have enjoyed watching this build. He said something about it's been fun and I then said, "So what's the plan....sell or keep?"

He said he had put $X amount in. I said, "Yeah prices are all over the place on the net....I think you should ask atleast $30k." (I said this with straight face.)

He looked around and said, "Yeah, I won't let it go for less than $X." (which was appropriate and way more than my jab in the Ribs I had just baited him with.)

He never got bulgy eyes, reached for my neck or anything.....just quietly said "Yeah I'd let it go for $x."

funny.....maybe it's cause he was drinking miller lite??

crazy good build dude.

Made a new hard fuel line (supply side).

(You can also spy my new power steering system from Valley Hybrids)

IMG_9355.JPG

IMG_9356.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_9357.JPG

Here's where she sits now.

She has a major overbite from the hood. I was racking my brain trying to figure out why, until it dawned on me that the cowl/hood is independent of the fenders/bib/skirts. So if I loosen the body bolts, then adjust the position of the body on the frame, I can fine tune the hood fitment.

Still need to do it, but at least I figured out what's going on, and how to address it.

Heat shields came back from the powdercoater.
IMG_9367.JPG

New stainless hood hooks and hardware from CCOT.
IMG_9368.JPG

Installing new fuel lines on the tank breaker assembly.
IMG_9369.JPG

Installed the tire carrier with new hardware from Overland Metric.
IMG_9370.JPG

Def a good candidate. I'll not be in the market again until this one is sold.

I'd really love to do a late model 40, like an 82-84

Def a good candidate. I'll not be in the market again until this one is sold.

I'd really love to do a late model 40, like an 82-84

Man. DNP had the daddy one here for that too.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with in those newer year 40's. Most 79-84 FJ40's are super rusty!

I'll be interested to see what you come up with in those newer year 40's. Most 79-84 FJ40's are super rusty!

This^ Late 70's and early 80's FJ40's have been described as biodegradable :)
It's one of the things I have never understood about the market value on 40's. I would much rather address the disc brake issues or 4speed issues than I would deal with rust.

Get me a complete 1984, and I'll buy a new Pilgrim tub.

This^ Late 70's and early 80's FJ40's have been described as biodegradable :)
It's one of the things I have never understood about the market value on 40's. I would much rather address the disc brake issues or 4speed issues than I would deal with rust.

I think the statement answers the question. Due to the ease with which they rust, finding a rust-free later model truck makes it that much more valuable. I think your argument is solid for a driver, wheeler, average-dude-wanting-a-40...it's the collector value, restoration crowd that wants their "original-to-the-truck" disc brakes, 4-speed transmissions etc.

Nah, give me an H55 and factory power steering setup.

I think the statement answers the question. Due to the ease with which they rust, finding a rust-free later model truck makes it that much more valuable. I think your argument is solid for a driver, wheeler, average-dude-wanting-a-40...it's the collector value, restoration crowd that wants their "original-to-the-truck" disc brakes, 4-speed transmissions etc.

No doubt. That collector can brag about his original disc brake axle right along with his gear swap (who wants 3.73:1's), his lift kit, and aftermarket shocks, etc. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom