New to the form, my first FJ. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saved from a backroad in Indiana. I traded loads of firewood to get her. I just love the body style and ruggedness of the FJ40. I'm doing this on almost no funds, I'm a young guy and a senior in high school. So I'm going to need a lot of help as a begin to tear into her. So anything I need to know, please help!
Thanks guys!
image.jpeg

Welcome! That looks like it is in ROUGH shape. Lots of rust and the hard top isnt setting down correctly it looks like (by the drivers door). Mixed wheels and probably tires.

It might help to let people know what your plans are with it. And what your skill set is (ie able to weld, have tools, mechanical ability)

As for what needs to be done, here is what comes to mind as needs immediate attention prior to using

1) Brakes. A thorough inspection of every line, connection, wheel cylinder, pad, ect. Absolutely everything to do with it.
2) Steering. Another thorough inspection. From the steering wheel, to each tie rod end, to the knuckles. Inspection for damage, rot, leaks, ect.
3) Frame and body. Do a good look through. A hammer helps. (just tap lightly!) but go slow and look over the frame and body for rusted through spots. A rusted through frame is a bad thing and needs fixing right away. On the body as long as its not structural its ok if its rusted through. But if your floor pan is only holding on by one side thats not safe.
4) Drive train. Does it even run? If not you can skip this part as youll be rebuilding/fixing anyways. But if it does do a good inspection of all the parts. Drive shaft bolts, fluid levels, ect.

Thats a good start on where to start. Depending what you find could mean its thousands and thousands just to get it to move safely. Or it could be just a couple bucks. Just depends on what you find

Thanks guys!, but here's what I know. The body and frame are gone. Driver side floor and passenger side are basically see through to the ground, same goes for the rear pan. The frame has an almost 3 1/2 foot section of frame that's barley even there. So I know that it's all going to need to be replaced, the doghouse and engine compartment area seems to be reusable shape. The whole drivetrain/running gear is in perfect working order. Believe me or not. It sat for 20 years almost, Last registered in 83. I changed the oil, cleaned out the gas lines, did a minor tune up. And fired right up and purred like a kitten. I've never been so impressed with an engine in my life, I was told the Toyota inline 6 is basically bullet proof. So that's the good, I even went as far to put some fluids in her and drove it around the yard. As far as my ability to work on it, I'm knowledgeable in mechanics, I've worked on slot of engines in my teenage years with my father, I'm a certified welder, and can shape metal. I'm alright with electrical. So I'm hoping it will be enough! Thank you all for the support, I love knowing i have another source of knowledge I can delve into.

Welcome to MUD!

Since you are a certified welder you've won half the battle right there. The Toyota 2F engine, assuming your rig is a '78, is bullet proof, it's a real tractor motor made to last forever.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!, but here's what I know. The body and frame are gone. Driver side floor and passenger side are basically see through to the ground, same goes for the rear pan. The frame has an almost 3 1/2 foot section of frame that's barley even there. So I know that it's all going to need to be replaced, the doghouse and engine compartment area seems to be reusable shape. The whole drivetrain/running gear is in perfect working order. Believe me or not. It sat for 20 years almost, Last registered in 83. I changed the oil, cleaned out the gas lines, did a minor tune up. And fired right up and purred like a kitten. I've never been so impressed with an engine in my life, I was told the Toyota inline 6 is basically bullet proof. So that's the good, I even went as far to put some fluids in her and drove it around the yard. As far as my ability to work on it, I'm knowledgeable in mechanics, I've worked on slot of engines in my teenage years with my father, I'm a certified welder, and can shape metal. I'm alright with electrical. So I'm hoping it will be enough! Thank you all for the support, I love knowing i have another source of knowledge I can delve into.

Sounds like its in capable hands. A replacement frame should be pretty easy to find. @Indygbd is in Indiana and is a good source for parts. He has a 70 available that is missing a drivetrain and is reasonably priced.

Saved from a backroad in Indiana. I traded loads of firewood to get her. I just love the body style and ruggedness of the FJ40. I'm doing this on almost no funds, I'm a young guy and a senior in high school. So I'm going to need a lot of help as a begin to tear into her. So anything I need to know, please help!
Thanks guys! View attachment 1330554
Their is a complete frame and body for sale here in Colorado on Craigslist. If u could get it for a couple thousand you'd be set

I do have a good selection of parts, parts car, frame, ect. Look me up

Welcome they take time, but first make sure it is safe; brakes, drivetrain, tires, steering, etc................. I am partial, I have a '78 as well

Welcome. Great year....almost as good as the 77 :) Get ready to learn a lot. The electrical system is pretty basic and easy to figure out. If you could find a good body and frame, you could have it up and running in no time. There is a lot of knowledge here. Before you start tearing it apart, get organized and take pictures of everything. Best of luck! If you were closer I would donate a couple of decent fenders.

honestly if your intentions are anything more than beating it in the woods, i would just park that one and keeping looking for something in a little better shape.
in order to get that in any kind of presentable shape, it is going to take a bunch of time and money.

Brian,
I don't really plan on making it a show cruiser yet, but for now I want it to be driveable and when I want to take it off the beaten path I don't have to think twice. All I need is another frame and body underneath it. Then I'm ready to rock. At first when I got her I thought this was going to impossible, but then I found MUD and you guys, plus many other pages for support and parts. So I think this is going to be very "do-able"

Also Emac I'll get some more uploaded today sometime, I'll take some of what is it bad, and what is good.

im a firm beleiver that if you really want to, then you will. just be ready to learn and ask lots of questions.

great to have a fellow young gun on the site! and dont sweat the money, the beauty of a 40 is that you can build em in such a way so as not to break your bank. my current 45 has only cost me $4000 to get to where i am, and that includes what i paid for her :)

Looks like the body is shot. But everything else at least looks decent!

A "new" used tub isn't terribly expensive if you keep your eye out for one. Should be able to get one only needing minor work for ~2k on the end. Other pieces pop up fairly often too. Like hoods and the front bib. You could get "new" front pieces (hood, bib, fenders, and apron) for under 1k and possibly even quite a bit less than that for ones needing some work.

Frames aren't terribly expensive either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom