New Mexico Pig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I'm still working the kinks out of a few things. The good news is that I have a/c back up and running.:clap:

I'm dealing with fuel delivery issues now. I drove up to the top of the Sandia Mntns yesterday. Towards the top it's a pretty steep grade and a lot of hair pin turns. The engine began to sputter and buck for a few seconds and then would recover. This repeated all the way up and on the way down as well. At the bottom it ran fine. If i had to guess there was about 7 gallons still in the tank. So is this a low fuel issue? Do the stock tanks have any baffles in them? I'm hoping that the fuel was sloshing side to side and I was possibly sucking air into the fuel line.
@PabloCruise has this happened to you?

It was definitely reading on the low side going up. On the downhill it read about a third full. With the old carb set up, I've taken the same trip up with about the same gauge reading and never had it stumble like that. I realize there's a lot more fuel being pumped out and returning back that might be causing this issue. I was just curious if you had ever experienced similar symptoms with your stock tank and fuel pump set up.

I have this issue too. The tank I made is flat on the bottom and if I have only 5 gal in it going up a hill starts to sputter. Going down I'm fine cuz my pickup is in the front. I have baffles but if you are going up for a while the fuel will creep to the back.

I have a drain plug and I was thinking of plumbing a small fuel pump to circulate it back to the front and Y the return line. My fuel pump has a cup that the gas dumps into from the return.

That's something to think about for the future long range tank. Others have mentioned to me to put a surge tank inline as well, but this seems to be only a good idea if I'm going to run with the stock tank for a while.

I might have other issues going on. I went out to start the pig and it had a really hard time finding idle again. The fuel pump was pulsing and when I pinched the return line everything evened out and I had a good idle again. I think that pressure regulator is faulty. That's an aftermarket replacement, so who knows. At this point I'm just going to install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and see if that fixes my issues.

I haven’t read the entire thread so pardon my ignorance if it’s been covered but you can add a Schrader valve at the cold start injector to hook a pressure tester up to for confirmation of fuel rail psi.

I bought the adapter and gauge for the cold start injector, and at the time everything checked out. I should definitely reinstall it and recheck the fuel pressure. It's odd that just by pinching the return line, everything started working better. Maybe that pressure regulator is stuck open and isn't allowing enough back pressure to build up.

I definitely have the love-hate thing going on with this pig.:bang:
After installing the adjustable pressure regulator and putting everything back together, I ended up with a leaking o-ring on one of the injectors. Almost threw in the towel, but decided to give it one last go.
Everything is back together now, no leaks, and I have a steady idle again. It seems the regulator was the trick, at least until tomorrow, when it will probably be something else:crybaby:.

Oh, line lock is installed.
IMG_0613.JPG

Small victory!

I definitely have the love-hate thing going on with this pig.:bang:
...at least until tomorrow, when it will probably be something else:crybaby:.

Small victory!

Definitely a complex relationship! You solve some problem and you are all proud of yourself, and then you wake up tomorrow and POW - something new...

Things are looking up, so plans are moving forward for the PP18 trek. I have my dad along as navigator and co-pilot, so it should be a great trip no matter how the outcome.

With the recent rains I was able to put my recent endeavor of an aftermarket wiper system to the test. That cable operated system really sucked, and after the blizzard incident I started searching for an alternative. I finally decided to try some individual wiper motors that are synced through an ecu. I found these Ongaro motors through a marine supply. Here's some pics:
IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

I still have a few more mods to do in order to use their wiper arms, but so far I'm happy with the set up. The best part is that I have two speeds, with intermittent wipers.;)

Wow, an ECU to sync wipers, who knew?

Hope it works a treat!

Wow those posts really look bomber. The little splines just do t give me much confidence. Mine have lost grip multiple times when it was not a good time to have no wiper!
I am eager to here more about your modification!

Wow those posts really look bomber. The little splines just do t give me much confidence. Mine have lost grip multiple times when it was not a good time to have no wiper!
I am eager to here more about your modification!

The photo doesn't really show the scale very well. That wiper shaft is 1/2"- 9/16" diameter, easily twice the diameter of the stock setup. It will handle up to a 24" x 22" arm/blade combo. A pig's arm/blade is half that. I'm pretty confident those splines will never slip. Right now I'm using the wiper arms from the old set up, the splines on those arms were the same. In order to use the heavy duty arms, I'll have to modify the cowl by widening the openings around the wiper shafts. Luckily I have an extra cowl to play with.

Back on track with the engine build.
Ironically, I've been spending the last few weekends rebuilding the aisin carb on the :princess:'s 40 and trying to understand the old distributor points setup. I'm sure it's an old hat to most, but for me it took a while to get things set up properly.

Anyway, here she sits as of now:

View attachment 1631224
I spent most of the time on the mechanical side of things, rebuilding the transmission and transfer case.
Big thanks to @mel lowe for helping me with the electrical bits. I ended up buying a complete engine and cowl harness, after realizing that what I had was missing a lot of what was needed. Electrical, that's the next hurdle. I'll post some pics soon with lots of questions for those that can help.

I may have missed - are you still running the Sanden compressor on the 2FE? Maybe the same adapter you had earlier still works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom