New Mexico Pig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For most of the eight years it's been on the road, the Frankencruiser has been plagued by fumes and pressure in the gas tank. Thanks to the diagram on this thread, charcoal cannister lines are now hooked up correctly. No smells, no pressurization.
I love this board and its people!

For most of the eight years it's been on the road, the Frankencruiser has been plagued by fumes and pressure in the gas tank. Thanks to the diagram on this thread, charcoal cannister lines are now hooked up correctly. No smells, no pressurization.
I love this board and its people!

Wow, that is awesome! Glad I could help!!!

14 gauge wire to the pump and a good ground to the frame at the back. The 3fe wire schematic shows no dedicated relay inline to the pump. Should I have one there?

Abq-

You should tie in with @cruiserbrett if you haven’t already. He just built my harness and it’s awesome. There’s at least one relay for the fuel pump and a 20 amp fuse.

Abq-

You should tie in with @cruiserbrett if you haven’t already. He just built my harness and it’s awesome. There’s at least one relay for the fuel pump and a 20 amp fuse.

Thanks Dom,
I've been following your thread closely. Congratulations on getting it up and running.:beer:
Brett's been helping me sort things out. I'm still working through it. There's a lot to check. I'll have to add a relay install for the fuel pump to my to-do-list as well.

Alright, I'm "cautiously" optimistic that I'll make PP18.
After several frustrating weeks, I made one final effort to get the engine running smoothly. It seems to be there now. Being a noob to all this has made it very challenging.
So here's what I've learned so far;
The evap system wasn't working properly. Thanks Pablo for setting me straight. The check valve was bad, and I ended up changing the set up in the engine bay, using the vacuum valve from the original fj62.
IMG_0590.JPG

I relocated and replaced the fuel pump with one that JMack recommended. I actually relocated it twice. At first, I had it on the rear cross member where the rear shocks mount. I then got to reading about inline fuel pumps. It was mentioned to not use any 90* fittings or flex the hose in a tight radius, as it makes the pump work harder. So I moved it to the frame rail. The downside to its current location is that it's actually louder now, as if it's resonating down the frame rail. I'll have to try a few things to see if I can dampen it somehow.

But before all that, I couldn't get it to even go around the block. From the fsm, I ran every diagnostic for the ecu and ignition system, twice. It ran fine for the initial test drive when the rpm's were high, but would die at every stop sign. The ecu wasn't throwing any error codes. I just couldn't figure it out. My LC buddy was convinced that it was my O2 sensors. Turns out that was it. I missed one of the diagnostic pages that had a more in depth testing of the sensors. Swapped them out, and now I have a steady idle.
I took it out for a 30 minute drive today, best feeling ever after so many frustrating days.
@cruiserbrett thanks again for taking the time to help me out. I have a beer with your name on it for whenever we meet face to face.:beer:

Tomorrow I'll get some more driving done. I have about thirty more miles to put on it before changing out the break in oil.

Question for the experts, I've read that I should change the oil again after 500 miles. I don't know if I can put that much on before the 500 mile, one way drive, to the North Rim. Am I going be messing anything up if I wait to change it again until after the 1,000 round trip? I've also read to not drive it over 55mph for the first 1,000 miles. Really??

Good job!

Food for thought, years ago I had an electric fuel pump mounted on the frame and while running down a gravel bar a rock smacked it and killed the pump. That was a holiday weekend and took the whole day finding the owner of the auto parts store to open up and sell me one. Maybe make a screen cage, guard, etc. for the pump, if your luck is like mine. :)

See you at the Party!

I can guarantee you I’m no expert but I am going to do my break in oil change tomorrow after 650 miles. I did about 40 miles of cruising the coast and some 50 MPH stretches on bigger roads. Then a 100 mile drive up the 405 alternating speeds from 50-60 and some heavy throttle runs. I’d say I got to 65 once or twice on the runs up to speed.

My plan is to recheck head bolts tomorrow and check valves in the next week or two.

I did notice some hesitation with full throttle developing over time and found a lot of crap in the pre-filter. I cleaned out my tank but just casually, not professionally. I swapped that filter out tonight. If you’re going to make the drive be sure to take an extra filter or two in case you have a similar issue.

Here’s how bad mine was after 650 miles. The dark bottom is all sediment...

4A45AC63-EFF7-43EF-9CDB-609D6F6279DE.jpeg

I have 3 more of these on the shelf if needed.

Good job!

Food for thought, years ago I had an electric fuel pump mounted on the frame and while running down a gravel bar a rock smacked it and killed the pump. That was a holiday weekend and took the whole day finding the owner of the auto parts store to open up and sell me one. Maybe make a screen cage, guard, etc. for the pump, if your luck is like mine. :)

See you at the Party!

Now you have me worried. My luck has been sucking bad lately. I'll get right on it

Thanks for the info Dom. You're driving the hell out of it! I've been running with one spare fuel filter. Maybe I should grab a couple more. Are you running an after market fuel regulator? Listening to my fuel pump, it seems to be fluctuating as it pumps. I have no experience with electric fuel pumps, so maybe they just sound that way.

Well my fuel regulator is the stock 3FE one and it will need to be addressed. I’m about 5psi over what the FSM calls for. Haven’t really looked into it yet.

I used an inline pump that’s mounted on top of the frame rail with the rubber insulator sleeve. It’s not perfect but the truck is noisy enough that I don’t hear it and it’s pretty well protected. After talking to Brett I took his advice and concentrated on getting it on the road and running right. Now that I’m comfortable with that I’m going to start checking things off the list to make it the way I want.

Am interested in your opinion on the motor once you’re running right. I have a really responsive throttle and this 45 zips around town with ease. Freeway driving is great too with acceleration even in 4th. Biggest issue is RPM’s and we’ll address that with 3.70’s eventually.

Well I'm chirping the tires around corners, so that's new to me.:) Some of my first impressions are that it's a bit louder than the old 2f. The fuel injectors tick and ,as mentioned, the fuel pump makes noise. I ran it up a pretty steep hill today. Definitely an improvement there. I now understand what others have observed, a 5 speed would sure make it sweeter.

Glad you’re liking the power. From the old F135 this was a huge step for me. You will appreciate the fuel injection reliability. I have an H55 in my 40 and it’s nice no doubt but that was back when the rear parking brake retainer for the split case was readily available and it was a very expensive undertaking. I’m not fond of the exposed rear disc but that’s just me. In a perfect world the 5 speed would be the way to go but I’m shooting for a 4 speed column shift eventually.

I will say I like the 5 speed and it does help but it’s not earth shattering RPM drops. I think you’ve got a great setup and will be happy with it.

Get a few more miles under your belt, load up a few extra tools and drive it to the Pig Party.

:beer:

I can guarantee you I’m no expert but I am going to do my break in oil change tomorrow after 650 miles. I did about 40 miles of cruising the coast and some 50 MPH stretches on bigger roads. Then a 100 mile drive up the 405 alternating speeds from 50-60 and some heavy throttle runs. I’d say I got to 65 once or twice on the runs up to speed.

My plan is to recheck head bolts tomorrow and check valves in the next week or two.

I did notice some hesitation with full throttle developing over time and found a lot of crap in the pre-filter. I cleaned out my tank but just casually, not professionally. I swapped that filter out tonight. If you’re going to make the drive be sure to take an extra filter or two in case you have a similar issue.

Here’s how bad mine was after 650 miles. The dark bottom is all sediment...

View attachment 1713615

I have 3 more of these on the shelf if needed.

I like that filter! Where do you get these? Do you have an application, or a p/n?

Stoked to hear its purring away smoothly now!

Get some miles on it and enjoy it!

As far as break-in oil change, if you don’t have time to do the oil change I wouldn’t worry. If you want to be cautious, throw a new filter on and check the oil level. It should be just fine...

As far as breakin, run it, don’t idle it. And get some faster but not full throttle runs on it. Vary speed, and watch oil pressure.

Good to know. After the first attempt to run it, I thought I had a bad oil pump and had leaks on the pan in the front and back, so I'm already on my second oil pan gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom