Builds New 80 In Virginia (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great Lou!

Glad to see you back on board with an 80! I think ideally that is the best truck either of us could have started with considering it has a lot of creature comforts that we tried to add to 40 year old trucks! ha. Looking forward to seeing what you do to it.

Ryan

Thanks for the invite but the truck is still at the body shop...I'm hoping to get my hands on it this weekend..I want to get the rack mounted, finish the subwoofer box and install the new tail lights and front turn signals.
Ryan... you are so right, the 80 is the perfect truck, I'll keep you posted.

Lou

Last edited:
Good looking truck. I just purchased the same lift for my LX. This gives me a good idea as to how its gonna look. I think im gonna run bigger tires though. Looks good.

Good looking truck. I just purchased the same lift for my LX. This gives me a good idea as to how its gonna look. I think im gonna run bigger tires though. Looks good.

I considered running bigger tires, but 95% of my driving will on the road and the 295/75's run great on the road.

Lou

Don't go any bigger, I think 33-34's will be a perfect size for 95% of the type of stuff you have over there, not to mention will drive a lot nicer on the street. I took my 55 with the 37" krawlers for 16 hour drive recently and it was pretty miserable. haha.

Ryan

Don't go any bigger, I think 33-34's will be a perfect size for 95% of the type of stuff you have over there, not to mention will drive a lot nicer on the street. I took my 55 with the 37" krawlers for 16 hour drive recently and it was pretty miserable. haha.

Ryan

Ouch...16 hours:confused:. you'll never do that again!

Last edited:
P1010410.jpg
P1010414.jpg
P1010415.jpg
80 Update

Today I spent a few hours at the bodyshop installing Dynamat and Dynaliner to the roof as others here in the 80 section have done.
Thinking it would take a few hours....I was wrong! the factory insulation is a pain to remove...so after scraping with a razor blade for about and hour, I headed to Home Depot ..bought a wire wheel and went to town on the roof. Ten minutes later I was done, I didn't remove all the glue, but the wire wheel cut the glue up enough so the Dynamat had great contact.
The holes are patched on the roof and it gets primed tomorrow and should be done Mon-Tuesday...

Lou

Last edited:
Today I spent a few hours at the bodyshop installing Dynamat and Dynaliner to the roof as others here in the 80 section have done.
Thinking it would take a few hours....I was wrong! the factory insulation is a pain to remove...so after scraping with a razor blade for about and hour, I headed to Home Depot ..bought a wire wheel and went to town on the roof. Ten minutes later I was done, I didn't remove all the glue, but the wire wheel cut the glue up enough so the Dynamat had great contact.
The holes are patched on the roof and it gets primed tomorrow and should be done Mon-Tuesday...

Lou

Can I ask what body shop you are using? I would like to do this to my truck in the near future.

P1010402.jpg
P1010403.jpg
P1010404.jpg
P1010402.jpg
P1010403.jpg
P1010404.jpg
Its better then Christmas

Its like Christmas in my living room....here's some of the Bling awaiting the 80's arrival home... and I'm blaming you all in the 80 section for making me spend the money and my desire to just get it done.

The List

Pioneer Avic 9115bt Nav
Pioneer Backup Camera
Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Alpine SWR T10 Sub
infinity reference 6030cs 6.5-inch
Component Speakers, front and rear doors
Disco Cup Holders
Depo Headlights
Red/Clear Tail Lights
Clear Corner Lights
Clear Turn Lights
Tuff Duck Canvas Seat Covers...front and rear
Atlas Leather...front seats
Replacement Foam...front seats
Aftermarket Center Caps...early style
Foxwing Awning
Pioneer Rhino Rack:cheers:

Lou

Last edited:
Body Shop

Can I ask what body shop you are using? I would like to do this to my truck in the near future.

Excel Autobody in Springfield... i told him I had a few 80 owner who might be interested...so now that they know whats involved
they should be able to work out a good price for anyone interested. I'll talk to Shawn and see if I can get a set price for Mudder's

Lou

Last edited:
Cruiser toys always brings a smile to my face.:D Where did you get those wheelcaps from?

Spector Offroad....I thought I ordered 4... when two arrived, I called them back and got the last two they had but you should give them a call.... I think it's something they carry. I have my old ones and bought the paint and everything to restore them but when i found them at SOR'S....it's one less project...so I bought them

Lou

Last edited:
Nice looking rig man. I'm impressed with the jump you've got on everything. Time and $$$ are the main issues here for me but its good to see another 80 in the area!

Nice looking rig man. I'm impressed with the jump you've got on everything. Time and $$$ are the main issues here for me but its good to see another 80 in the area!

Thanks.. timing was perfect when this 80 became available so I just want to get it done.. so I can really enjoy it. The 55 I restored never really got used....to nice to take offroad and wouldn't drive it when it snowed, beacause of the salt the road crews use. The 80 is a different animal that one can drive everyday but the plan is to lease a Lexus CT200h as a daliy driver and use the Cruiser on the weekends. My current lease is up this year and with these gas prices going through the roof, its time to get something thats gets great mileage and is fun to drive.

Lou

photo-1.jpg
photo-2.jpg
photo-3.jpg
Settting up the rack

Decided I should unpacked the Rhino Rack and prepare it for the 80, this rack is extremely stout...weighing in at 90LB.
It has two crossbars already riveted to the bottom and has three crossbars you bolt to predetermined holes based on the Series of Land Cruiser...
The bolt on process for the crossbars and the feet is accomplished using these small blocks that have a threaded hole.... they slip into the bottom of the crossbar... turn them...tighten the bolt and they lock in under the lip.
The next step is to drill and rivet the crossbars to the base....the crossbars have pre drilled holes...so your only drilling through the base. Enjoy the pic's

Loi

Last edited:
Looks Brand New

Taking shape

Lou

Luke111,

Wow - what a transformation! The 80 almost looks brand new!

Congrats!

Be sure to share some pre and post pics of your new leather seats. I am interested in doing the same at some point.

white-roof.jpg
white-Roof-2.jpg
White Roof

My painter called me and sent a few pictures of the white roof. They ended up tapering it up to the wind shield rubber...he was pretty skeptical about my request to paint it white but he likes it and as I said earlier, this was not done for aesthetic reasons .....I hate hot cars in the summer...so with the white roof, dynamat , dynaliner and the full aluminum rack, it should stay pretty cool. I also have enough Dynamat and Fatmat to do the rest of the interior.
I'll have better pictures when it comes home tomorrow

Lou

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom