Builds 1966 FJ45LV Capri (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

... would stay with the front bumper, isn`t so bad.
Your 45LV has some modifications.. so why put more money in than necessary.
A penny saved is a penny earned.....:)

piggy-bank.jpg

picture wordpress

Drive and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I just put a set of 235/85/16 on mine. A bit wobbly after the wider tires I had on, but still finding the perfect pressure. Mine is very stock, only mod added is a brake booster, otherwise run on the '67 F engine with 3 speed transmission.

Hilux, Would you still make the change if you had to do it all over again or prefer the wider tires? I have a few weeks to decide, I keep going back and forth. I think I’ve reached the point of over-research.

I’m running 33x10.5 on mine and really like them but I do go off road but they are fine on the hard top to .
This truck has 33x9.5's on it now, and they do seem to ride pretty nice. They just look too tall IMO, something a little smaller would look better I think but I'm a little worried about sacrificing too much ride quality. I suppose if I get them at discount tire I can always exchange them after a couple weeks if they just don't ride well.

Wngrog, are both of these running the 235/85-16 Yokohama MT's? They look pretty good, I like the clearance in the rear. Happy with the ride on the road?

EDIT: Just found your thread here, great read - I think I'm going to go this route when the wheels arrive. Hope I'm as lucky as you were to get them quickly! We will see...

Last edited:
FYI posted a couple of new threads - looking for someone to loan (or sell) me a set of those rear seat brackets to duplicate, and happy to have several sets made if others are looking for them. Not sure on cost yet.

and also looking for one of the early style light switches if anyone has a source.

I’m also going to be working on making several of the rear bumpers (with attachments/supports) once I get a good first shot made, if any one is interested in one let me know. I can start a separate thread and get a list. Not 100% sure on price for this either I don’t have the ability to do this myself but have a good local contact for this stuff. Figured if I’m having him make me one he might as well make several if others need them.

Finally got the new 16" steelies mounted with the Yokohama Geolandars today, and the repro acorn hubcaps mounted. The wheels I painted a smoke gray, which looked great by itself but after mounting the capri blue on the LV really makes them look a bit blue. I think it will grow on me, or at least I'm hoping. I love the size of the Geolandars though and the ride is great!

IMG_1767.jpeg

IMG_1765.jpeg

I’m working on getting that rear bumper made right now, and Looking for some dimensions. Anybody have one they could get some measurements on?

I know i have seen a build thread where someone fabbed their own and included dimensions, but can’t seem to find it in search.

Update time! Sorry I am throwing this all in at once, I'll try to do a better job of providing updates as they come.

I've had the truck in to my buddy's shop for the past 3 weeks or so, tidying up some items.

Rear bumper is taking shape, still kind of in the mock up stage now. Will go to powder coat when we get it to a place we are happy with.

We took everything out of the dash for a repaint, and filled some of the holes that had been cut in over the years, as well as the 2 holes from the original 4WD shifter on the dash (remember mine was converted to a 4spd on the floor). I've got all the correct pull knobs that will go in probably as the last step when we put it all back together.

Also sent off a smorgasbord of parts to powder coat, re-chromed the few chrome parts, got the new door weatherstripping in (thanks to @c2dfj45) and my doors finally shut right!

The interior panels were in a bit of rough shape, lots of fiberglass patching and a bunch of textured paint to cover up the imperfections so we media blasted it and repainted, along with the inside of the rear tailgate and back of the rear seat. Found a bunch of grounds just soldered to interior panels too so we're cleaning up some of the wiring, as well as putting in an OEM fuse panel.

My rear tailgate latch is in a bit of rough shape so we're trying to refurb that pot metal, hopeful we can get it looking like new it was cracked all over the place.

Got the SOR carpet kit as well as the cowl insulator, pretty impressed with both actually. it makes a big difference giving it a finished look inside.

Also making some progress on those rear seat brackets, separate thread here. That piece along with the bottle jack "dish" below the front seat that we're missing are the two biggest challenges for sure.

Had a piece of flat stock as a radiator support bracket so we fab'd a more correct version and installed. Also fab'd the correct diamond shaped spare tire "washer".

Other little things left to do - hood prop and mounts, finishing up mud flap mounts, installing the rear reflectors (non-OEM but found something close enough), the 55 series rear view mirrors, some better matching sun visors, and patching some of the upholstery wear. I'm going to also put in a little motorcycle bluetooth stereo system below the front seat. Something small, hidden, that I can mount without making any new holes. Working on general detailing some of the surface rust too that had started to show itself after 8 years on the coast.

FJ Co's restore has been a huge help just from the fact that they took so many photos. There's been a lot of "what should that look like?" situations where I quickly referred to their gallery and figured it out. In other cases some forum members have been super helpful, and in particular getting to see @tahoe40/45 gorgeous rig last year really helped a lot.

IMG_2173.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom