My Newly-Vented Hood (20 photos!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think there is/was a list for the wooden template that Rob (OP) made - see post #1. This other template is drawn (by NLXTACY) on a piece of paper & I don't think there's any sort of a waiting list for it.

Can't imagine why... :D
Before a year ago, not body wanted them, now a wolf pack of 80s drivers are hunting them down like wee little spring fawns...:clap:

Yeah, that and they're getting popular with the jeep crowd.
I found mine in the classifieds of some random site through a Google search.

So it seems like quite a few people have done this mod (in various seasons, too), but as far as I can tell, nobody has posted before/after ScanGauge coolant and intake temps (plutonius at least tried). Barring the before/after, at least blocking the vents to get an approximate "before" reading would tell us something, then unblock for "after". I mean, I understand "a lot" of heat comes out of the vents- I'd be surprised if that weren't the case. But that doesn't mean the vents are making a significant difference, or even a measurable difference in intake air temps or coolant temps.

With so many people having done this mod and almost ZERO data on coolant / intake temp differences, can I assume this is because it's the MUD equivalent of "spinners"- all show and no go? :flipoff2: (I can only hope my assumption is proven incorrect so I have a rational excuse to get on the list).

Last edited:
With so many people having done this mod and almost ZERO data on coolant / intake temp differences, can I assume this is because it's the MUD equivalent of "spinners"- all show and no go? :flipoff2: (I can only hope my assumption is proven incorrect so I have a rational excuse to get on the list).

Looking at some of the mods in your signature you do not appear to need ANY excuse to mod your car.................just like me! :D

regards

Dave

I have nothing to add of real value...Just seat of the pants feelings..I do not see any reason not to have done this. With a super charger and lots of trips through the Mojave every year, figured no negatives from me

John, If you are interested lets see if any one posts up and complains but Im happy to mail it to you..
Howdy! Been pretty quiet for a month or so. Mail now and beat the Christmas rush? John

So it seems like quite a few people have done this mod (in various seasons, too), but as far as I can tell, nobody has posted before/after ScanGauge coolant and intake temps (plutonius at least tried). Barring the before/after, at least blocking the vents to get an approximate "before" reading would tell us something, then unblock for "after". I mean, I understand "a lot" of heat comes out of the vents- I'd be surprised if that weren't the case. But that doesn't mean the vents are making a significant difference, or even a measurable difference in intake air temps or coolant temps.

...Anyone?... Anyone?...

"The scientific method enables us to differentiate between fact and belief, between evidence and folk wisdom..."

bugsnbikes said:
Hood washer mod is alot cheaper and vents the heat well without water issues since the seal works like a drip rail and the hood/seal seat works like a drain rail..

Link?

posted with my thumbs.

I have nothing to add of real value...Just seat of the pants feelings..I do not see any reason not to have done this. With a super charger and lots of trips through the Mojave every year, figured no negatives from me

Hey Tim, who has my template now? Hooping its still in somewhat reasonable condition to help out someone semi-locally to install theirs.

I think he means where you stack washers between the underside of the hood and the arm that the hood bolts to, raising the hood off of the seal at the back side to let hot air flow out.

Link?

posted with my thumbs.

calfj60 said:
John...Just glad it got there safe...Its quite easy to use...

That was the idea :p

I have someone local who wants to use it so whenever it makes it's rounds.

I have someone local who wants to use it so whenever it makes it's rounds.

Might be another request for it in the Bay Area in a few months, kindly, and if it's available, please?

Question: Did the OP cut away some of the pad that's under the hood?

IIRC mine ('96) isn't triangular like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom