My new 1990 HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm really curious to see what your fender well area looks like. If it makes a difference in EGTs, I might pull mine apart as well!
I haven't pulled it apart or tried to back flush it yet, so this is an assumption at this point, but the air filter and box look fine so that's the only thing i know of that's left that would have been fixed by removing the air box.

I will back flush it this week and see if that's enough to fix the issue

I wonder if you could have just swapped the gauge face?

In retrospect, I think that would have worked just fine. The only thing you'd have to change is the thin paper(?) on the face and you're done. I did look for that in the beginning, but ended up finding a full cluster for an acceptable price so just stopped there

@IanB Are you're weathertechs the ones you can get at walmart for under $30?

Started looking at speedometer correction options and it looks like ive got a few good choices.

Speedometer service in Oregan which at one time was under $100. I'll call them this week
Commercial Speedometer in Sacramento CA also under $100 in an old post. They don't have a website, but there number is (916) 371-5873. I'll be calling them as well

I spoke with the above speedometer shops in Sacramento and Oregon today. Commercial Speedometer in Sacramento was far easier to deal with and they can make a 1.15% correction adapter for $90 plus $10 for priority shipping. Speedometer service in Oregon wanted $145 prior to shipping for the same. Placed an order with Commercial Speedometer and should have it within a week

My new speedo correction adapter from Commercial Speedometer in Sacramento CA and was a quick install at the tranfer case. I removed the only cruise control sensor for now, because i still havent had time to put the new one on. The correction adapter appears to be spot on, and Commercial Speedometer was the best price and the easiest to work with.

1lCRQWvl.jpg

Last edited:
I took the Land cruiser on a road trip to Wichita, KS this weekend and was very happy with the ride.
Average speed 70-75mph at approx 2200-2400 rpm resulting in just shy of 18mpg
The console fridge is awesome. Through some water and drinks in there before i left and they were kept ice cold
This 28 year old vehicle with a diesel, 4" lift and 35" MT tires has NO business riding this well, but it does. It may not be a luxury suv, but i had no complaints about the drive which was 12 hours round trip
Really need to get the new airbox in along with FMIC. EGT's are a real problem, but i hope to have that corrected by the coming weekend with a little luck.

What are you seeing for highway cruising EGT's, and what boost level?

11psi and I can cruise on flat road at 70-75 at approx 700-800. It will climb on inclines. How high depends on how long the incline is. If you punch the gas to to the floor at that speed (for instance you need a quick pass for oncoming traffic) your egt’s will quickly get out of control, but I do still have some passing ability, but I can’t try to force it. Between inclines and passing I did get above 1000 a few times. Hoping this weeks upgrades will help that

I'm on 33" tires, so that changes things a bit, but I seem to settle in around 14-16psi at those same speeds, with EGT's of around 800 +/- 50F, so you have a reference point.

I've been treating sustained 1250F as my upper limit for EGT's, as in long climbs when I had the truck in the mountains (I can't seem to hit that hot passing cars), FYI. On the prairies EGT's have never been an issue for me, even when towing.

@IanB are you on a stock turbo, airbox and exhaust? Do you have an intercooler?

I back off hard at 1200 on my egt’s, Which happens more than I’d like but is manageable. My egt’s went up after my mud bath 10days ago. I never managed to resolve it, but didn’t stress too much as I’m dropping her off today for a snorkel, airbox and fmic which I believe will leave me sitting pretty on temps.

I ended up buying a $45 knockoff snorkel from eBay as everyone seemed to speak highly of them for the price. I think my LC will be at come get ya sum about 3 days to get it finished.

I back off hard at 1200 on my egt’s, Which happens more than I’d like but is manageable. My egt’s went up after my mud bath 10days ago. I never managed to resolve it, but didn’t stress too much as I’m dropping her off today for a snorkel, airbox and fmic which I believe will leave me sitting pretty on temps.

I ended up buying a $45 knockoff snorkel from eBay as everyone seemed to speak highly of them for the price. I think my LC will be at come get ya sum about 3 days to get it finished.

What airbox did you get? My EGTs are similar to you. Totally manageable but I have to monitor... unless towing.

I’m having a custom box made around an ac delco a3181c plate filter.

It is based off of one @thermionix posted about in post #289 of this thread, which in turn, I believe, is based off of the moonlight fabrications airbox. The intake and outlets will be 3 1/4" because that matches the outlet on the snorkel i have.

I've got stock turbo, stock airbox, 3" exhaust, no intercooler. Gturbo Grunter Extreme sitting on my workbench will go in sometime in the next couple months. I haven't found I NEED an intercooler on the prairies, there's no sustained inclines for hours in any direction where I live. When I had the truck in the mountains a few years ago I could see straight away where it would have been nice to have, but one or three things at a time, lol.

I've read where snorkels can be a restriction on these trucks once you get an aftermarket turbo and start pulling some serious air...something to consider before hacking up your fender? The guys in Australia that run custom air boxes usually have custom 4" snorkels as well.

I've got stock turbo, stock airbox, 3" exhaust, no intercooler. Gturbo Grunter Extreme sitting on my workbench will go in sometime in the next couple months. I haven't found I NEED an intercooler on the prairies, there's no sustained inclines for hours in any direction where I live.

Hey Ian,

Out of curiousity... how long can you keep you rig floored before you need to lift from EGTs? I find that I'll hit 1200 degrees on a 0-70 run if I stay floored the whole time... and that's on the Gturbo Grunter at the same boost as you. Our 0-60 times are about the same. I'm starting to wonder if my EGTs are high and I need to adjust something...

From memory, I can accelerate to 120km/h (75mph) and have EGT's hit about 1100-1150F, floored. You are on bigger tires, so taller gearing, higher load than me. Your Gturbo will be pushing way more air than my stocker at the same boost level, the tire size is likely the only reason our acceleration times are similar, lol.

but one or three things at a time, lol.

I've read where snorkels can be a restriction on these trucks once you get an aftermarket turbo and start pulling some serious air...something to consider before hacking up your fender? The guys in Australia that run custom air boxes usually have custom 4" snorkels as well.

Absolutely, you really don't wont to go over 4 or 5 projects at any given time when you can help it :D

I intend to stay stock on the turbo and not go beyond 14 psi, so I don't think the snorkel will be a choke point. Also, there seemed to some disagreement on it as a choke point with someone posting flow numbers to indicate the stock airbox is always the choke point even with an arb snorkel.
My main purpose is lowering egt's. I'm happy with the power i have and am more concerned about engine durability/longevity. i will likely follow all of this up with a 3" exhaust as well for the same reasoning

From memory, I can accelerate to 120km/h (75mph) and have EGT's hit about 1100-1150F, floored. You are on bigger tires, so taller gearing, higher load than me. Your Gturbo will be pushing way more air than my stocker at the same boost level, the tire size is likely the only reason our acceleration times are similar, lol.

Wow, if i push the pedal to the floor in almost any situation, it is a race to pass 1200 on my truck, but that is new since i developed the higher egt's i mentioned previously and should be corrected quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom