The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So in a quest for an affordable high flow airbox, i've been thinking of using a "type a" airbox out off a UZJ100 (17700-50170) and modifying the in and outlets with 4 inch in and outlets.
Shipping and import taxes are way to high to just go ahead and order one of those fancy ones from down under...

Am i on to something or am i smoking crack... any insight is well appriciated!

It needs to go into a 45 with an 1hdft.

Mark

If you're on crack, share it around!

I'm thinking I'll do similar, but it's likely to be ghetto.
The oem filters have much more surface area than a panel filter.
I'm thinking I'll open up the inlet so air spirals into the air box more than just a 4" pipe on a tangent.

I don't know if its been posted but the panel filters generally used are AFEs from a duramax.
You can get a 7 layer dry filter from them....
I honestly would just use a paper unit from a duramax as it should give the best filtration.

I'm going to track down a good condition original air box assembly and give the entire thing a complete POR-15 treatment to make it like new again. That's the only way I'll get something that's close to a new one.

I don't know if its been posted but the panel filters generally used are AFEs from a duramax.
You can get a 7 layer dry filter from them....
I honestly would just use a paper unit from a duramax as it should give the best filtration.

Hey @ForealBoreal, would you mind elaborating what your talking about here? I've not found any 7 layer dry filters for a duramax engine. Only oiled.

I'm thinking I will find a good intake filter and have a box built for it, but theres not been a lot of discussion on which actual filters are best other than your post. I even tried searching to find out what filter is recommended in the moonlight box and didn't find it

Hey @ForealBoreal, would you mind elaborating what your talking about here? I've not found any 7 layer dry filters for a duramax engine. Only oiled.

I'm thinking I will find a good intake filter and have a box built for it, but theres not been a lot of discussion on which actual filters are best other than your post. I even tried searching to find out what filter is recommended in the moonlight box and didn't find it

The moonlight box uses a duramax filter. Some of their boxes for other models - eg vdj79 Landcruiser are built around 200 series Landcruiser filters. Another manufacturer in Oz, Radius Fabrication uses GM LS1 filters in their airboxes for 80 series Landcruisers because they are inexpensive to buy here. Their custom airboxes are also half the price of the Moonlight ones. I was thinking of getting one of these but was also wondering which filter is superior- 200 series LC, Duramax, LS 1 or HDJ 105 LC.

Had a play with the tig and some stainless
Using a duramax panel filter
20171128_152928.jpg
20171128_170300_HDR.jpg
20171128_175254_HDR.jpg

That looks great @thermionix !
Are all of the duramax plate filters the same size? If not, which did you use and do you feel its the right size?

I gave up trying to find something decent and just sourced a much better condition genuine air filter box assembly to replace the existing one.

I've read through this entire thread more than once, and i still don't feel i'm up to speed on the best options for my air intake.

I plan to go with a safari snorkel with an air box following what @thermionix has built around an acdelco a3141c filter. I'll match the air inlet and outlet to the safari and then reduce down to the turbo which will then go through a Air to air FMIC and i'm upgrading to a 3" exhaust on the back end.

I'm primarily concerned with lowering egts and my turbo is stock and won't see higher than 14psi. Was going to run without a snorkel, but mud managed to get into the air box this weekend, so time for a snorkel.

I'm curious if i'm making any obvious mistakes here or if that should provide me with reasonable improvements over stock.

With stock turbo, and safari snorkel, I would keep the stock air box and run OEM filter elements.
The stock air box is well designed, unless you go for a high end turbo upgrade.

The standard safari snorkel will be a restriction before the stock air box is.

Just be sure to seal up any joins between snorkel and air box. There's also a water egress valve at the bottom of the air box that is recommended to be sealed if you're going to play in mud puddles.

Thanks @mudgudgeon . I had read through the thread and it seemed there were at least some saying the stock airbox was always the choke point, even over a safari snorkel. There were even some flow numbers demonstrating this. Did I get that wrong? I will readily admit, I know nothing on the subject other than what I have read from others, which has mostly been from this thread

Thanks @mudgudgeon . I had read through the thread and it seemed there were at least some saying the stock airbox was always the choke point, even over a safari snorkel. There were even some flow numbers demonstrating this. Did I get that wrong? I will readily admit, I know nothing on the subject other than what I have read from others, which has mostly been from this thread
My understanding (contrary to what I thought when I got my Safari) is that the Snorkel is the weakest link. It would be nice to have someone with a an absolute understanding chime in.

Well this mod didn't go well for me unfortunately. I had the box made around an ac delco a3181c. It has a 3 inch inlet to match the 3 inch snorkel, and the outlet is matched to the turbo intake.

Unfortunately it simply doesn't flow well enough. It dies within 100 feet of taking off and blows TONS of white smoke. If it take the filter out it doesnt improve the white smoke, but the engine only chokes out if i run boost at 10psi for more than about 20-30 seconds. I'm going to pull apart the fender hopefull tomorrow and run it without the snorkel or filter and see if it's back to normal.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Am I stuck with going to a bigger box and 4" snorkel? If i have the snorkel and airbox intake at the right size, do i still need an outlet larger than the turbo intake?

@thermionix did you have any initial problems with your set up. Also, been meaning to ask, what is the piece on the side of your box connecting the upper and lower halves of your air box?

i started my build tonight. going with a box sized to fit between my fender and intercooler heat exchanger. i’m using a duramax filter. ill have a 3 inch inlet from my snorkel and then a second 3 inch hole that i can cap off when i need it sealed up.

so far here’s what i have
AE68D10C-E71A-406A-8BC5-A0A7660AEF31.jpeg
F830BE8D-2133-49E8-A134-5DF062CE2B01.jpeg

@franklin40 what are the dimensions on your filter?

@torfab Are you still planning on bringing your air box to market?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom