Mort's 76 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine definitely does not have that groove on either side. Is the difference between the left and right a matter of years? I bought mine from James Douthit. I thought I found him off Mud.

I'm not sure of the man's name, but he is on mud and had those machined. Unfortunately the groove was left out. Take another look at that top plate and you'll see how it needs to fit in the groove, not sure what you have going there.

Those are all for the same year, there is a different gear for (I believe) a newer motor. it has a different shape hole.

Last edited:
Does anyone still sell the brass gear with the grooves? I searched and could only find SOR selling them.

I just ordered the one from SOR. I am sick of messing with the tailgate and just want it done so I can move on with something else.
I got the turbo sorted. Stupidity is expensive. I bought the seal kit for it and took it apart to repair the seals. I broke the turbine wheel. It has reversed threads and I didn't notice. I took it to a local turbo guru and had a long talk with him about it. The biggest problem was the drain was not pointing straight down, according to him. it left at an angle and would not drain. Also I know you guys had told me to make sure my drain line was big enough, the drain hose id is 3/4" but the fitting has a restriction that I didn't think about because It was the biggest I could find. He sells a bigger one that he has made for him and will install it on the turbo when I get it back this week. I am also hoping to get the brakes done soon, if I don't have to go out of town for a while. with the turbo in and the brakes done I'm hoping to be able to drive it around the airport a little. Pretty excited. I've found an upholstery guy that I'm going to have install my headliner for me so I can get the glass in too. I'm hoping it'll start to come together quickly from here on out.

Also I know you guys had told me to make sure my drain line was big enough, the drain hose id is 3/4" but the fitting has a restriction that I didn't think about because It was the biggest I could find. He sells a bigger one that he has made for him and will install it on the turbo when I get it back this week.

3/4" rubber with barbed fittings? If yes whats the ID of your fittings?

I believe Holset calls for a 19mm minimum drain size, most of the ¾” fittings I seen had a 5/8” or 16mm ID on the fitting itself. This caused my turbo to pump oil past the seals when I first switched from the BW turbo to the Holset.

Every fitting will need to be checked including the fitting in the block.

Thanks. I guess I'm learning about turbos the hard way. I know what to look for now and will hopefully not have issues when I get the turbo back. Like I said, stupidity is expensive. He is giving me a drain fitting with the turbo that will be large enough, and I'm using the original drain tube on the 4bt which has an ID of 3/4" and will orient the drain straight down.

I got the turbo back and it looks really good, but he had to have the gaskets and drain shipped to me this week. I wanted to put it together this week but got called to fly a helicopter to Puerto Rico so I won't be able to get to it until I get back.

I got the turbo back and installed. No leaking of oil. Nice to have hat issue fixed. I even got to drive it for a few minutes today. It ran well and there weren't any weird little issues. I am a little concerned about my gearing.
I also got all the fenders and good back on so it's finally looking like a real vehicle.

D89A6984-28C8-4BB0-9705-5A1789E72C1D.jpeg
2E261FD2-862B-4CA0-896F-634705C0AA09.jpeg

I still have a little wiring, the interior, air conditioning and windows to do and a few other odds and ends but it's finely feeling like there might be an end to this.

Aerotec, huh? You must have been the guy that posted the heli with the LiDAR unit a while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom