More evidence why the LX is quieter than the Land Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Having owned both a 2006 LX and Land Cruiser I always felt the LX provided a quieter ride than the Land Cruiser but never had any proof. Recently I installed a Attic Rack in both a 2006 LX and a 2006 Land Cruiser. The LX has more insulation in the ceiling also where the Land Cruiser uses raw plastic the LX has fabric.

The Attic Rack in the Land Cruiser bolts tight against the metal body.

IMG_6832.JPG

The LX requires a 1/2" spacer at the same mounting location to keep from damaging the fabric and insulation. You can also see the fabric at the mounting location along with the window surround.

IMG_7716.JPG

Is the headliner alcantara on the LX (or some other kind of synthetic suede)?

Is the headliner alcantara on the LX (or some other kind of synthetic suede)?

The headliner itself appears to be the same finish on both. The window surround on the LX has the same finish as the headliner. What I dont know although the finish looks the same is if there is more insulation in the headliner of the LX.:meh:

The headliner itself appears to be the same finish on both. The window surround on the LX has the same finish as the headliner. What I dont know although the finish looks the same is if there is more insulation in the headliner of the LX.:meh:

Gotcha, thanks.

I noticed the LX has an extra door seal along bottom, not seen in LC (98-02)
LX extra door seal.jpg

A friend of mine has an LX470. I've ridden in it a bunch and have noticed... it doesn't say Land Cruiser on it anywhere. ;)

I noticed the LX has an extra door seal along bottom, not seen in LC (98-02)

While replacing the bulb the other day, I notice that my SC430 also has similar extra door seal. Must be a Lexus feature only. I wonder how much of a difference that extra seal make.

Without a doubt my LX is way quieter than my LC and it's not even close. My LX is almost as quiet as my 200 (LC not LX).

That little strip of seal arcos the bottom of doors probable is to reduce road noise, can't imagine any other purpose. I may one day try them on my LC. But really, both LC & LX are pretty quit in the cabin.

I own an 05 LX and 04 LC, my LX has higher miles and it's much quieter (even when my LC was stock). Also, my LX has a suade headliner and the LC is just basic fabric.

Easily addable to any LC of any model I wonder?

I think so. I looked at my 98 LC, and bottom of the door panel has an indentation for the seal, it is just never installed by Toyota. It makes sense that Toyota and Lexus would produce and use the same door panel that has the same shape.

I am assuming that the rubber door seal is probably attached by two sided tape. I looked around on Ebay, and I can find generic rubber door seal for different size pretty cheap. I am sure local automotive store most likely has this as well.

Chris

There's Lexus badges for sale on EBay too....they prolly have noise cancelling effect and are worth 2dB of sound deadening, I bet. LOL. :rofl:

I actually much prefer the front fascia of the Land Cruiser, but I enjoy the wood trim and super quiet insulation in my LX:)

Is the part number possibly 67864-60020? If you look it up it appears to be the lower weather strip on the door but I'm not sure if it is the "extra seal" we're all talking about.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 7.39.51 PM.png

Nice find @TheForger - I've been meaning to pick up that piece since @1loudLX pointed it out a few years ago.

I noticed the same difference in quietness in the LX vs. LC when I made my purchase and as @04UZJ100 pointed out, it is "known and advertised".

Now I need to pull the headliner - the only two places I haven/t placed sound deadening is on the pillars and the roof. Keep putting it off.

Maybe a spring project . . .

There's Lexus badges for sale on EBay too....they prolly have noise cancelling effect and are worth 2dB of sound deadening, I bet. LOL. :rofl:

I actually much prefer the front fascia of the Land Cruiser, but I enjoy the wood trim and super quiet insulation in my LX:)

Well you know we can always add sound deadening into LC to make it as quiet as LX, but there is only one that has the "Land Cruiser" badge :p

I do have to say that wood trim on my SC430 are nice. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Well you know we can always add sound deadening into LC to make it as quiet as LX, but there is only one that has the "Land Cruiser" badge :p

It's a whole lot less labor intensive (and less expensive) to add the "Land Cruiser" badge(s), than it is to add the sound deadening ;)

That little strip of seal arcos the bottom of doors probable is to reduce road noise, can't imagine any other purpose. I may one day try them on my LC. But really, both LC & LX are pretty quit in the cabin.

There's also a little black trim piece that fills the panel gap between the front and rear doors on the LX, that I haven't seen on a LC. I'd also assume the this is there to reduce wind/road noise.

Passenger side, mounted to the front edge of the rear door:
upload_2017-1-24_23-30-40.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom