Builds Mississippi Delta Beast - 1974 FJ-40 Rescue and Rehabilitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are you building?!

I have a 1979 40, I got tired of looking at all the rust and decided I would cut out and replace sheet metal.

Im at the point now that I need a temporary "paint booth". Got it on the cheap from Harbor Freight, because it was missing some of the steel frame. So I was having Delta Exhaust bend me some pieces.

Here is my thread: 1979 FJ40 Old School Overhaul

BTW, really like your work. :beer::beer:

@oldschool4wheeling come see me next time.

So the Bart's radiator repair was a fail.

I tried to burp the system but when I realized the radiator is toast I lost interest.

That said, it's still running hot even after it took almost a gallon of distilled water with the Cruiser at the desired rakish angle to burb air.

The radiator is crap. I'm going to do a by-the-book flush and then install an OEM radiator @beno is sending me tomorrow.

IMG_0883.JPG

I'll wire until it gets here. The list is getting short. @ducksntrout is coming to get it in a week.

IMG_0884.JPG

Cliff hanger. Keep your spirits up. I might get into withdrawal. Nice work. :rolleyes:

Closed the pill box...:popcorn:

I'm reading up on flushing the block and I may end up buying some Muriatic acid so s*** could get real.......

I REALLY hope I can flush it without that though but my symptoms sound like a clogged coolant gallery in the rear of the motor. I will pop the drain plug back there and hope and pray water flows out and not pond water sludge.

This thing is fighting me at the end.

I saw a new product made by the Evapo Rust people. It a rust remover for cooling systems. Might be worth looking into. Cause using miriatic acid is no fun.

I'm going to crack open the block drain and see its full. Likely it's a radiator issue.

I'll do all that at one messy time when I flush it and add the new radiator.

Today I wire.

that twitchy steering can be all but eliminated with some cheap 3-4 degree shims in the front.

I added a 2" longer shackle with my stock springs and the steering was a bit scary. Shims solved it.

It's not bad. I'm going to see if he wants a lift at some point before I do that.

I finally got off my ass and started tackling the wiring.

I bought a new (used) switch for the lights.

It turns out the 74 is the bridge year from the old and the new style lights so it took me a bit to crossreference 75 and up with my 74 diagram to get it. Also the relay for the lights on the diagram is in the column. When I pulled the cover off a dirt dobber had built a nest in the switch.

I got it cleaned out and cleaned the contacts and hunted down the grounds and boom. I have lights!!

IMG_0918.JPG
IMG_0921.JPG

Well. Not exactly boom. It was more a slow rumble. I muddled through it in about 2 hours.

The blinker relay is still under the dash and clicks once when I pull the hazards. This aftermarket was in there with scotch locks and I removed it. I'm still trying to sort this out.

IMG_0920.JPG

After that I started in on the tail lights. I am pretty sure I need to know they are functioning to ever get the blinkers right so I looked into why they are not right.

Sure enough, it's a mess under the guards. Scotch lock for days and broken wires. Dammit. More parts to order.

IMG_0970.JPG

It's amazing how these things fight in the end when you have a date you are shooting for to complete them.

What kind of hieroglyphic is that?

I think I need my readers...:smokin::cheers::cheers:

I'm a salesman. Wiring diagrams kill me. Instructions kill me.

The fact that I'm Red/green colorblind is the biggest bitch

Could not sleep so I spent a couple hours this am an the Delta Beast.

First I took it for a spin and tested the lights.

@Racer65

I really like them. They have a nice low and high pattern. Way better than generic H4 bulb housings with Stark LED bulbs like I run in my Cruisers.

Last edited:
Ok you sold me on some city racer lights now! haha

I needed something simple to start so I added an auto zone choke cable. These OEM are long gone and people that restore or hoard them are generally insane with their prices so if got the $16 job. Works fine.

Next I moved to the heater blower.

I could not get the fan to work so I cracked open the blower and sure enough. Dirt Daubers.

IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

There was even a brown recluse in there.

Lovely.

I cleaned it all up and sprayed the contacts down and hot wired it and it fired up.

I buttoned it up and moved to the switch.

No power.

I found a hacked purple/Red near the fuse box and un taped it and found the problem.

Whammo. I have Air flow !

Quick question on the headlights. Did you have to aim them much? I know my H4's throw an awful light pattern i got tired of trying to aim them so gave up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom