Builds Mississippi Delta Beast - 1974 FJ-40 Rescue and Rehabilitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I once did a clutch job on a FJ60. Spent about 2 days on it and with help the second day. Late afternoon Saturday thinking all is good and when I engage the clutch - nothing. I was mentally and physically whipped. Drove home that evening running through all possibilities for the problem. Decided I had installed the clutch disc backwards. Next day pulled everything apart only to discover all the clutch components properly installed. Put it all back together. I had left the t-case in neutral :bang::doh::bang:

A well known cruiser shop put my clutch disc in backwards when they put in the hot rod 2F. The engine bay was all together when they figured it out so they had to drop the transmission to fix it.

Great write up and excellent humor! I have bruised knuckles and skinned parts just from following the story. Thanks.

Great write up and excellent humor! I have bruised knuckles and skinned parts just from following the story. Thanks.

Funny!

I didn't touch it today. Parts are inbound. I walked into my shop.......Cussed it.....spit in its general direction and walked out.

I'll dive back into it on Friday......

I had an hour today and I installed the footman's loops, headlights and got the marker lights all working.

The headlight switch is not stock and the headlights won't come on

I have a used headlight switch coming.

IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG

I also picked up some longer bolts to line up the transmission.

IMG_0721.JPG

It's in, interior is mostly back in.

Will have to wait on Soeedy Sleeves to come in to bolt up the driveshafts but I'm damn glad that is behind be.

@ducksntrout plans to run it through the briars and the brambles
...".ran through the bushes where a rabbitt couldn't go" Just had to finish that song, you know, like when someone does the "shave and a haircut"........without the six bits. I can see the whipper snappers scratchin' their noggins now!:hillbilly:

I finally finished fixing my screw up with the Throwout bearing.

Truck is all together and it runs and drives great.

Before I put it together I installed the speedy sleeve.

IMG_0809.JPG

The interior looks great. I patched the one tear with black gorilla tape. No reason to spend all that money on recovering the seats when the rest is so nice.

Speedometer works. Oil pressure reading high but it settled down

Temp and ACC worked. It's out of gas here. I took it to get a load of 93 test non ethanol

IMG_0813.JPG

Posing

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

OK.....I've determined it runs and cranks great. Stops good. Shifts good.

So what's left?

The radiator is leaking a bit. I'm going to try Barr's first. See if I can stop the leak. I can see the leak. I don't want to replace it if I don't have to.

The choke cable is missing. No one makes them.

The wipers are not working. I rebuilt the one on Patina so I think I know what to do and I have a setup off a donor truck so I am hoping I have all the tools and parts on hand.

The heater blower is not working. I suspect wiring, not the blower.

The headlights are not working. Again, I know its wiring as I ripped out the POS aftermarket headlight switch and I am going to sort through this nonsense to hook up an OEM lightswitch.

IMG_0821-X2.jpg

But since that scared me I just hooked up some new wires and a new 12v outlet first

IMG_0820-X2.jpg

Of course I have no idea which wire goes where on this OEM switch. Anyone know? My wiring diagram calls for a different look than this.

IMG_0822-X2.jpg

IMG_0807-X2.jpg

I don't know anything about wiring, but I was in your neck of the woods Saturday. I went to Delta Exhaust in Canton to have some tubing bent for my " paint booth".

Chris, I believe was his name, asked me what I was working on. I told him about my FJ40 project. He then commenced to tell me about you and the last time he worked on a FJ40 for you, or a friend of yours.

I'm not as worried about dimmer as much as on and off.

I have an earlier switch that the diagram matches up better with.

On Patina I put the lights on an on off switch. Hopefully I can make this happen without too much hassle.

I know a guy who can rebuild switches around here....

I didn't have time to work on the wiring so I tossed in a bottle of Bart's and took it for a spin.

Glad I did but I wish I had not gone so far.

I have Air in block and the temps spiked on me about 2 miles out.

I parked it and will deal with it tomorrow.

It ran great. Rides good.

IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0846.PNG
IMG_0850.JPG

It does steer a bit twitchy due to the extended shackles.

I was also able to install a proper cup holder installed

IMG_0851.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom