Builds Mississippi Delta Beast - 1974 FJ-40 Rescue and Rehabilitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great to meet you finally, this is a great project.
I also want to get a review on the headlights. I was thinking about those for my project.\
Gary

Grind day. Bolting it all back together

Not sure what year the new Tcase is out of but the output has different threads than the 74 and it's a stake nut not a castle nut so I stalled out big time looking for the correct one

IMG_0649.JPG

Then I started at the front and worked to the rear with 90wt and a grease gun

IMG_0650.JPG

If you work on Cruisers the 5 gallon pump for 90wt is a godsend

IMG_0651.JPG

Driveline and skid all in.

IMG_0651.JPG

I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Tomorrow I'm finishing up the wiring.

So. Lesson learned.

Before you build out the interior and put all the Shafts in.....

Check to make sure your clutch actually works.

This bolt came off as soon as I cranked the truck and pushed in the clutch.

100% screwed. It's all got to come out.

IMG_0675.JPG

Well crap...

I liked the post only to convey I have read it, I understand it and I wonder if you will set-up a time-lapse camera of the next stage of work.

I liked the post only to convey I have read it, I understand it and I wonder if you will set-up a time-lapse camera of the next stage of work.

You want me to include the pity party part where I'm crying?

So. Lesson learned.

Before you build out the interior and put all the Shafts in.....

Check to make sure your clutch actually works.

This bolt came off as soon as I cranked the truck and pushed in the clutch.

100% screwed. It's all got to come out.

View attachment 1517620

Been there, well sorta. On my first transmssion swap 20 years ago, I put the transmission in, without the fork and throwout bearing. After I realized what I had done, I simply dropped my tools, tucked my tail between legs and wept.

That sucks. At least you'll be more efficient doing it the second time, if you're not too paranoid :lol:

What the hell is the bolt from? I don't recognize it.

That sucks. At least you'll be more efficient doing it the second time, if you're not too paranoid :lol:

What the hell is the bolt from? I don't recognize it.

This particular pressure plate has them on the ends of the fingers.

F style. As in F this thing.

IMG_0677.jpg

Ugh. Noted for future reference.

For future reference replace the F flywheel with a 2F flywheel and get a 2F pressure plate with fins versus the 3 arm.

On my H55 swap, I didn't check the shifter first and put it in with the transmission stuck in multiple gears. It had to come back out.

I may or may have cried.

I did find a couple of issues I would have had to address later so I'm glad I found them.

The front seal was leaking onto the skidplate and I didn't see it until I dropped the skid.

I ordered speedy sleeves for Both ends. The parking brake seal was not leaking but with me taking it out twice it's worth $30 insurance.

IMG_0679.JPG

The weird bracket that holds the forward end of the clutch slave back to the motor mount was broken. I robbed the 72 for it.

Also, I had not tightened the Tcase shifter bolt on the horizontal rod.

Hopefully I'll get the parts by the weekend but probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom