Meet Moose, our 1969 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so if the CruiserCorps years are correct, then someone added a later model turn signal switch to this truck. I'm guessing the hole on the right side of the housing was for the old shaft style unit.
0922181653.jpg

The pin is still there and if the spring and ball were around, or if I could find some, I could make it work, but the way it sits now I think I'm on brights all the time. (Stays in the position away from the wheel)
0922181653b.jpg

Guess I will get one ordered from CC tonight.

And are these bolts supposed to thread into a captured nut in the dash? Mine do not, I had to get a 12mm wrench on the back to loosen them up a little in order to get the plugs thru.
0922181654a.jpg

While I got the wheel off, I may go ahead and start pulling the dash apart for the pad swap and to clean up some of the ducting and woring behind there.

Hmmm....

Similar, but not the same. I dont want to drop $150 on a unit that wont work.

CruiserCorps '72-'77 and then my '69

0922181743.jpg

0922181744.jpg

The plugs are different too.
0922181746.jpg

The mount looks different too. The CC unit looks to have bolts around the outer edge for mounting, mine mounts using 3 allenhead bolts near the center...

I am very new to all this, any9ne got any ideas?

Thanks,

Yeah, I got mine for a 71 at CC and it was just like your old one, they have them. That hole on the right is for the column shift rod, I believe.

Hmmm... Looks like it has had some kind of brake upgrade in the past. The rib has been cut and bent over and there are what look like 4 holes where a booster of some kind may have been attached at some point.
0923181646.jpg

Wonder what the story was here because it has the OE master on it now.

Went digging thru my stash tonight. I think all I'm gonna need is a steering arm, 60 rotors and some v6 calipers!

0923181801~2.jpg

Looks like I will be giving my new parts washer a workout :)

You’ll need to get steering arms from a 1979-84 fj40 to stay with the stock tie rods. They fit the 60 hubs, but retain smaller stock 55 tre.

No major updates this week on the Moose. Clutch arrived on Monday and some replacement visors got here yesterday, but we are going to be on the road for a few days and are also in Crawl Prep mode, so probably be a couple weeks before I can dig in on some of that. S^3 prep will be next.

Short list will be fluids change, giving the drums a once over and getting the clutch replaced. Hopefully that will get us to Talladega in November.

Got a care package from SMS yesterday. Dont really have a good place to lay it all out, so the roof had to do.
1006181930.jpg

So I started looking them over and he is very clear that "non-oem" fasteners are included. So two questions, doea anyone know if the OE fasteners are still available, and second if not I'm guessing I need to pop all the little plastic grommets out before I use these supplied fasteners?

1006181928.jpg

I also started to install my new visors, but ran into a little snag, the phillips head screw heads stripped on 3 of the 6 bolts. The old retainer plate was trash so on the DS I got rhe 2 out I could and then just chiseled off the rest of the pot metal. So I got the DS mounted, but gonna have to find some new screws to finish up the other side. Probably gonna cut slits in them for now and make them flat head screws.

1006181932a.jpg

New visor is a later model I believe because they are a good bit bigger than the one that came out of the 69.
1006181932.jpg

If anyone can assist on the clips, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anything special about pulling the trans/t-case in a pig? Back from Crawl and getting the clutch replaced is next on the list in prep for the SSS in a month. That and checking and rebuilding (as needed) the drums so we can make sure the woo works as well as the goo.

Last edited:
I've got mine out right now, no big drama if you use the right tranny lift. I use an old antique, but she works good and I do strap it down to the lift so it doesn't roll.

This is a company that has everything related to interior trim fasteners and yes the rubber grommets and clips are available. Auveco

I’ve done two pig clutches in the last year.

I put them on plastic ramps front and rear and used a tranny jack.

The biggest tip is get it super secure to the tranny jack and don’t take it off the jack. The “memory” of the way it came off will be saved.

I was wondering about getting the clearance to get the trans out, but I guess it doesnt have to be high enough to get the trans under the frame since it really doesn't need to come out from under the truck just to replace the clutch.

Momma bought me a new trans jack a few years ago, so now I have a good reason to use it.

And @Gordobe thanks for the info. Gonna check that out tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom