Meet Moose, our 1969 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
Well, we recently joined the illustrious ranks of the fine swine society. We picked up this 1969 FJ55 from another Cruiserhead in KY.

It has it's problems, but as a whole has been reasonably well cared for and I believe was the recipient of some past attention. Other than the weber Carb and power steering upgrade, it appears to be otherwise stock.

Rockers show light-mod rust, but are decent compared to many I've seen. Floor pans are solid with only surface rust as far as i can tell. Frame and underside is clean and straight with only some surface rust visible as well.

My lovely wife has set the goal for it to be made reliable, and clean up some of the misc. cosmetic issues and then take a cross country road trip in 2 or 3 years. Lofty, but worthy and will be a blast to take my little girl on an epic trip like that, so I have aet about to learn what I can and only do what needs doing while keeping it as close to original as we can.

Here he sits in his temporary home until I get a proper spot cleanes out for him.

0912182122.jpg

Passenger Rocker
0912182120.jpg

Drivers Rocker
0912182118.jpg

Right behind the front tire and the front of the rear tire in both sides is the worst rust damage and will need aome attention at some point.

Underside looks clean
0912182118a.jpg

0912182120a.jpg

It probably could stand a new rear main, but it needs a clutch, so I will tackle that when I pull the trans for that.

The rear cargo area is in great shape.
0912182115.jpg

The rear bench is in decent shape, but we will have it recovered.

0912182115b.jpg

For some reason both the front and rear drivers side door cards are gone, so I gotta get a set of those and try and fix the giant hole that someone cut in the front doors for what look like 6x9s.

0912182116.jpg

0912182116b.jpg

The floors look solid with no real areas od concern. I will clean them up to make sure.

0912182116a.jpg

Last edited:
Front seat is gone. It needs all new foam along with a recover. I haven't pulled the cover so I'm hoping thats all and the springs and such are still intact and in reasonably good shape. The towel came with the truck and is currently filling a huge hole that used to be seat.

0912182117a.jpg

Steering wheel is in decent shape, just a couple cracks.
0912182117.jpg

The rest of the dash is a little disheveled but not too bad. Needs some cleaning up and some of the cables need a little lube, but overall, I think it all works. Lots of new knobs to sort out. The F.D. pull and the H-N-L lever were very new to me...

0912182117b.jpg

I do need to find a glovebox door latch and a few other misc. items, but I think it is pretty much all there.

I also scored this beauty in the deal.
0912182053.jpg

I've been told this was a good score, but I'm still new to this. Uncracked complete dash pad. Almost looks like NOS.

Last edited:
The engine bay is probably one of the few areas where it has seen some work over the years.

It has had power steering added. Believe it is a saginaw conversion, but I need to crawl around a little more to confirm, but have been told the pump is typical for a Saginaw setup.
0912182119c.jpg

The stock carb has been replaced with a weber, and apparently I have either a small vacuum leak or a bad intake gasket because the damn thing squels something awful when its running.
0912182119a.jpg

0912182119.jpg

I don't know it the washer bottle is factory or an add on, but the rest of the electrics look original.

0912182119b.jpg

As a whole, and based on some of the others I've seen, I think we got a pretty solid starting point. Not completely unmolested, but nothing that can't be undone with relative ease (other than the huge holes in the front doors where those speakers were).

Short list is:
  • New door cards (in talks with @a1500ram to see about a full set of his panels) - ORDERED
  • Sort out the carb or swap on a trollhole or JimC unit (have the later on a shelf, but have been told it needs a rebuild and tune, plus I am reading that the cable linkage can take some work to get right on one of these older motors) - EFI?!?
  • General fluid change
  • Tune-up (usual, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.)
  • New shocks for now
  • Need to find a drivers door arm rest and a window crank for the rear drivers door (if anyone has a spare or knows where one might be, appreciate any info)
  • Figure out the door seals. They are all dry and flat and need replacing.
  • New clutch and rear main while I'm in there. - ORDERED
  • Check blinker, marker and brake bulbs and upgrade the headlights. Looking at the hella h4 converaion to keep it old-school, but improve the output. - IN PROCESS
I'm sure there will be more, but that is what I've got on my mind for now.

Bigger things on the burner will be new wheels and tires and a front disc conversion and a dual circuit master and possibly a booster upgrade. The later still needs some research, but I already have a mini truck axle in the parts bin, so the big thing will be sorting out the booster and/or master setup. Other than that, trying to find a rack for the RTT and then tastefully work in some power outlets and such to support a long trip with a kid who "gets bored" the minute the door closes behind her.

It is going to be a new adventure, but I'm looking forward to the challenge and to getting both my wife and little :princess: involved in the project. And with the end goal already established it helps get the map to get there from here laid out.

I will leave this parting shot for now, :cheers:

0912182122a.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a great start. Welcome to the madness. Most on here have started out “ just clean it up and drive”, but these rigs like money and attention. PP 19 would be a good goal, it’s in Utah this time.

Well, we recently joined the illustrious ranks of the fine swine society. We picked up this 1969 FJ55 from another Cruiserhead in KY.

It has it's problems, but as a whole has been reasonably well cared for and I believe was the recipient of some past attention. Other than the weber Carb and power steering upgrade, it appears to be otherwise stock.

Rockers show light-mod rust, but are decent compared to many I've seen. Floor pans are solid with only surface rust as far as i can tell. Frame and underside is clean and straight with only some surface rust visible as well.

My lovely wife has set the goal for it to be made reliable, and clean up some of the misc. cosmetic issues and then take a cross country road trip in 2 or 3 years. Lofty, but worthy and will be a blast to take my little girl on an epic trip like that, so I have aet about to learn what I can and only do what needs doing while keeping it as close to original as we can.

Here he sits in his temporary home until I get a proper spot cleanes out for him.

View attachment 1788639

Passenger Rocker
View attachment 1788641

Drivers Rocker
View attachment 1788642

Right behind the front tire and the front of the rear tire in both sides is the worst rust damage and will need aome attention at some point.

Underside looks clean
View attachment 1788643

View attachment 1788644

It probably could stand a new rear main, but it needs a clutch, so I will tackle that when I pull the trans for that.

Congratulations, the 55 looks great. It’s also cool that the Mrs. is into it and has already set a goal for a cross country road trip! Now you have an excuse to buy parts:

“Honey, we’ll need this for the big trip”

Hank’s picture looks disturbingly similar to a friend of mine.

“Friend”

:lol:

:popcorn:

Congratulations, the 55 looks great. It’s also cool that the Mrs. is into it and has already set a goal for a cross country road trip! Now you have an excuse to buy parts:

I have to say, she has been responsible for more of my vehicle purchases then i have. She loves the community and she loves the pig. Only downside is where most guys wives are their check valves, mine usually wants to know if we need 2. :D

:princess:was fully on board with the purchase...so long as I don’t expect her to ride in it :rolleyes:

:princess:was fully on board with the purchase...so long as I don’t expect her to ride in it :rolleyes:

Still one of my favorite pics.

I pulled up to the gym in my Pig and this was my wife’s reaction

8189310D-8AA7-44CE-A183-82486BE0F3CA.jpeg

Quite opposite at my house, I'm pretty sure she'd drive it to work on Monday if it was tagged and insured!

That must be an old pic Nolan. There’s no way that she could not have known what a 55 looked like unless this pic was waaay before you became a Cruiser nerd!

It was my first real drive about 4 months ago when it was about 6 different colors.

It was (is) a wretched looking beast.

That was the “I can’t believe you drove that POS 30 miles” look

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom