Manual swap on an 80. Opinion on performance needed!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So no hope on getting an H151 in the US without unplugging the bank. So I'm left with three choices:
R151f (from 4runner or tacoma)
RA60f (from FJ Cruiser or newer tacoma)
NV3550 or AX15 ( Jeeps)

Let's assume that I have the bellhousing and transfercase adapter figured out (not yet but just put that aside for now) since I'm a machinist and my family has a CNC shop. I would love to hear your inputs on how each listed above perform. As of right now I intend to use the 80 for roadtrip mostly as i'm converting it into a two seat camper. But i would love to get into rock climbing in the future as I have more to invest in lift kit and such. So I aiming toward having a quite robust and reliable transmission first.

I can get the R151f for quite cheap ~$300 easy but I'm afraid it may not be strong enough for more serious offroad applications.

I may be able to get the RA60f for ~$700 (less if lucky). Also, I knew about the throwout bearing problem on the RA60 and I think I know how to permanently fix it since I would have to make the bellhousing anyway.

NV3550 or AX15 I knew nothing about but seems to be quite cheap to get as well, around what I would have paid for the R151f.

Already ruled out the NV4500 since it's way overkill.

Anyways fire away. Thanks in advance!!!

the whole problem with a manual trans has nothing to do with the trans and everything to do with the computer. a stand alone is required and when added to the cost of the swap everyone ends up going another route. for the cost of putting the 5 speed behind the 1FZ you can damn near swap in a diesel or LS with 5 speed and be better off.

R series is weaker than the H. Surely you can at least get a H150 for a reasonable price. I just took one to the scrap metal recyclers today because I couldn't give it away. Was mostly shagged but could have been rebuilt or used for parts by someone enthusiastic.

the whole problem with a manual trans has nothing to do with the trans and everything to do with the computer. a stand alone is required and when added to the cost of the swap everyone ends up going another route. for the cost of putting the 5 speed behind the 1FZ you can damn near swap in a diesel or LS with 5 speed and be better off.
Huhm that's second time I heard you saying that but isnt the a manual ecu somethimg I can very easily get from oversea since it's compact and doesn't cost thousands to ship like a transmission? Also aound $400 on cruiserparts.net. I do realize that it could be a problem however but I think I can get it pass inspection withouttoo much trouble.
Do you have any good experience with swapping both engine and trans? I thought about using fuso or hino 4 cylinders turboed diesel if I would have gone that route. Lol a bit odd but my dad knows those engine very well and they're quite reliable. Has one at 400k and the torque is still massive.

R series is weaker than the H. Surely you can at least get a H150 for a reasonable price. I just took one to the scrap metal recyclers today because I couldn't give it away. Was mostly shagged but could have been rebuilt or used for parts by someone enthusiastic.
I thought so too but RA60 has 6 speed :). Where do you live? I've been searching for 4 months and nothing came up.

If your going to get into rock crawling, a auto is very nice to have. But you could probably fool the ecm to think the Trans is just in neutral instead of getting another ecm if u really wanted to do this. I think Jowett put a 6 speed in his 80 from a Tacoma.
I've been hearing about a guy doing that too but could'nt find the thread for it. Do you? or his contact?

The factory automatic is a very strong unit. Why do u want a stick Shift? If you want more power you can install a supercharger or turbo for reliable increased power.
Although the factory Auto is a strong unit, it has let me down repeatedly while wheeling. More because it tends to choose to kick down at the most Inopportune times like when trying to get up some steep loose terrain like a sand dune...which can be pretty damn dangerous to be hauling up a steep loose incline and all of a sudden kick from 1st straight to 3rd and lose all your momentum and power, especially when it realizes it kicked way too far down and kicks back into first and goes back and forth repeatedly. Or to try crawling over an obstacle and it can't figure out which gear it wants to be in and you have to keep it in first which isn't always optimal. I can see wanting a manual just for the control it offers. Then you get the power back that the auto robs from the engine and its a lot cheaper and easier to rebuild yourself. Also, it's a weight reduction and lord knows the 80 could stand to shed a few pounds. Lastly, turbocharging and supercharging is only going to reduce the life expectancy of your transmission (people will argue against it because of the factory SC) but it is common sense that more power applied liberally off-road through a non-upgraded auto will cause it to wear sooner, but more importantly, supercharging or turbocharging would cost you several grand, the manual solutions the OP is contemplating won't. @Johnny Ngo , I say go for it and if you can keep the cost of the adapters low enough I would buy one.

having owned a manual and an auto, I love the auto. I will upgrade it with a couple of bits from wholesale automatics in melbourne tho.

This is just bench-building but I did seriously consider doing a manual swap so I put a lot of thought into it... if you could make the ECU think that the transmission was just perpetually in neutral I would imagine it wouldn't complain and cause issues. Should be easy enough to do with some in-depth study of the wiring diagrams.

-Phil

I thought so too but RA60 has 6 speed :). Where do you live? I've been searching for 4 months and nothing came up.

I live in the land of 5 speed manual landcruisers, barn doors, part time, locking hubs and diesels. You would have to import one, not sure about the cost of that though. I got a 150 box and tcase last year for $750aud not sure how much shipping stateside would be.

Best Toyota manual box that sits behind a 1fz is the h151, it has a bigger clutch and stronger input than a 150. athough the 150 has a lower 1st and second gear ratio which would assist with crawl speed.

This is just bench-building but I did seriously consider doing a manual swap so I put a lot of thought into it... if you could make the ECU think that the transmission was just perpetually in neutral I would imagine it wouldn't complain and cause issues. Should be easy enough to do with some in-depth study of the wiring diagrams.

-Phil
Or just leave the position switch attached to the harness and in neutral position.

@LandCruisinMy93 has all the rights reasons why I don't like auto. Going on small and repetitive hilly road is quite annoying. It shifts up when I started going down and won't have power for going up. And by the time it decided to shift I'm in middle of the climb.
@serenity that sounds like a good and viable deal. Being an engineering student and a machinist, I kinda felt like I want to go the hard way just because. but I'm very sure I over estimate myself and underestimate the job.
@AppleTech would be nice if I can make cruise control work without an ecu from a manual car

SNIP
I can see wanting a manual just for the control it offers.
SNIP

There are folks who claim that the auto is better, easier in the rocks, etc. None of that matters as much to me as control just when you need that most. Got that down cold in a manual. Maybe I do, maybe I don't in an auto. Good luck in your endeavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom