Builds Mail Order Ride - My HDJ81 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have these. They are the trim to fit kind from weather tech. The coverage is not as extensive as shown in your pictures.

AEED134C-FFD3-4809-A861-CFC84BDE7091.jpeg

0B8E0166-BCE5-4B95-BBEE-B7BB7916E102.jpeg

1E8511DC-9EFE-49CD-8E50-0DFE238DA47D.jpeg

3C4976FD-6002-4F07-8904-35359C62E501.jpeg

Whoops, ****.

Apparently I've neglected the rear brakes. I thought they are looking ok, but was wrong, or they got stuck at some point.

Started seeing some metallic dust accumulate on the rear left wheel, so I knew I had to get to it. Had a big other project going on in the garage so couldn't get the truck in. Brake started making some crappy noise from that corner when stopping, so I was getting lots of warning.

Then, Saturday I was driving home late at night, and got a CRUNCH-WHOOP-WHOOP-WHOOP-WHOOP-WHOOP, accompanied by temporary loss of pedal. Still got home, just needed to pump the brake a few times to keep pressure at other wheels.

Yeah, I ****ed it up bad. New rear brake everything time!

20230404_144348.jpg
20230404_144415.jpg

That’s not going to be cheap. You going to do all four corners now?

When I bought the truck, 50k/6yr ago, it got new everything all around, but then at some point in between I put new 100 series pads in the front. It's here in this thread somewhere. At the time, I didn't touch the rear.

Front look good still, but I'm gonna get some new front pads soon and do them anyway.

Both my work vehicle and my wife's car need brakes this summer too, so not moving forward is costing me a ****ing ton this year.

When I bought the truck, 50k/6yr ago, it got new everything all around, but then at some point in between I put new 100 series pads in the front. It's here in this thread somewhere. At the time, I didn't touch the rear.

Front look good still, but I'm gonna get some new front pads soon and do them anyway.

Both my work vehicle and my wife's car need brakes this summer too, so not moving forward is costing me a f***ing ton this year.
Get after it! I hope you have a motive bleeder or something akin to it!

No fancy bleeder here, all old school. Clear hose into a bottle and a wife that knows the drill with the pedal.

****ed off from work a little early and got this in. Raybestos reman calipers, OEF3 rotors and Aisin pads were in stock at 4Wheel Auto.

Cleaned/lubricated/adjusted parking brake, so that's actually working now! Neat!

20230406_154810.jpg

20230406_154810.jpg

Last edited:
I got some other basic stuff done a while ago, just haven't really posted anything about it.

Drain/fill the trans
Drain/flush/fill the radiator
New upper and lower rad hoses
New power steering reservoir, with a drain and fill there too
New axle side sway bar bushings (but an annoying clunk is still present, so I gotta do the others still)

Still haven't dealt with the leaky case or pinions. I top them off every now and then, but they really ain't losing much. I think the hot oil seeps further on the garage floor so it looks like more is leaking than actually is.

After all that, went on a couple trips, picked up a tent trailer and brought it home (some stuff to discuss about that later), and then I park outside in the alley for one night and some dickhead throws a rock through the window. No reason at all, didn't steal anything, just threw a rock and wandered off down the alley. I was so ****ing mad.

Was able to buy a whole rear lift gate for a few hundred bucks with good glass, and I'll swap it out when the seal shows up this week.

Pretty pissed about all this though. Princess also managed to wreck a control arm and wreck a sidewall hitting a curb, so between 4 new tires for her, new control arms, alignment, the work I did on the truck, the new rear glass, new windshield for her car and the work van (because **** it, let's get all this vehicle crap dealt with at the same time) and this has been a surprisingly expensive month for the vehicles.

20230626_162726.jpg

Sorry to hear about your broken window, some people just suck.

Sorry you had an expensive vehicle month but at least you were in a position to be able to fix it and not just have to deal with broken cars for who knows how long.

I got some other basic stuff done a while ago, just haven't really posted anything about it.

Drain/fill the trans
Drain/flush/fill the radiator
New upper and lower rad hoses
New power steering reservoir, with a drain and fill there too
New axle side sway bar bushings (but an annoying clunk is still present, so I gotta do the others still)

Still haven't dealt with the leaky case or pinions. I top them off every now and then, but they really ain't losing much. I think the hot oil seeps further on the garage floor so it looks like more is leaking than actually is.

After all that, went on a couple trips, picked up a tent trailer and brought it home (some stuff to discuss about that later), and then I park outside in the alley for one night and some dickhead throws a rock through the window. No reason at all, didn't steal anything, just threw a rock and wandered off down the alley. I was so f***ing mad.

Was able to buy a whole rear lift gate for a few hundred bucks with good glass, and I'll swap it out when the seal shows up this week.

Pretty pissed about all this though. Princess also managed to wreck a control arm and wreck a sidewall hitting a curb, so between 4 new tires for her, new control arms, alignment, the work I did on the truck, the new rear glass, new windshield for her car and the work van (because f*** it, let's get all this vehicle crap dealt with at the same time) and this has been a surprisingly expensive month for the vehicles.

View attachment 3382141
That sucks. Good time to check if you have rust on the hatch under the seal though. I pulled mine and found 4-5 patches of rust I had no clue were there.

Finally got around to replacing the glass. I coated the entire thing in vapor barrier tape both sides and that held it together well enough that I drove like that all over the place this summer.

Cutting the glass out of the old Lexus gate sucked. Cutting the broken glass out of my truck sucked. Cleaning the sealant off the truck sucked. Cleaning the window glass sucked. Peeling the gasket onto the truck lip sucked. Putting new sealant in sucked.

There was one little spot of rust bubbles on the left side, so I got that with the wire wheel/degrease/spray action before reinstalling the glass.

There's a bit of mess leftover from the sealant, but it's mostly cleaned up. Used the 3M 08509 in a caulking gun as found in other threads.

1000007164.jpg

1000007165.jpg
1000007173.jpg

1000007174.jpg

Great job. May I asked what are the 2 holes in the upper left hand side of the last picture? The holes are on the door at the top.

Great job. May I asked what are the 2 holes in the upper left hand side of the last picture? The holes are on the door at the top.
They are where the JDM aftermarket spoiler mounts to the hatch. I kinda wanna get rid of the spoiler, but then I gotta fill holes and s*** so I'll live with it for now.

Figured out my clunk. Was just a loose nut on the sway bar link mount, stupid me.

Something came in the mail today... I probably won't get to installing it for a month or two, but I'm pretty jazzed about it.

View attachment 3427094
Nice! Do you have a location picked out for it yet?

Nice! Do you have a location picked out for it yet?
Planning on squeezing it into the passenger side, like where the master cylinder would be on an lhd vehicle. Lots of room there, I just hope my relay box isn't taking up too much space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom