LOCAL Resources for Service, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Services Etc. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That one looks like it still has a good 20k miles left in it. :rofl:

For buying local, I use Koons Arlington Toyota, because it's close. Their parts guys are good, but I'm paying full retail when I go to them. Try Camelbak or McGeorge Toyota. Or look up the part using your VIN on Partsouq and see what shipping will set you back--95% of the time items from Partsouq shipped cost less than same item from anywhere in the U.S.

Not for hood liners--they're bulky--check out Camelbak or McGeorge and use their prices to talk your closest dealer down.
Total was $280 at Jack Taylors with the 12 clips. $240 with Partsouq, going to make a big list various hoses and gaskets and make an order with Partsouq.

I can fix leaks and do plumbing, but I don't do drywall... I have the tools for drywall/paint and you are welcome to give it a go.
The leak is from the grout/sealant between the tile cracking and not sealing properly. The person that originally did the bathroom did a crappy job with laying the tile and sealing properly. So we need to redo the bathroom. I've just re-sealed until we find someone.

The leak is from the grout/sealant between the tile cracking and not sealing properly. The person that originally did the bathroom did a crappy job with laying the tile and sealing properly. So we need to redo the bathroom. I've just re-sealed until we find someone.
If it's showing through the ceiling drywall below, then the subfloor is probably soaked and rotting/molding and will need to be ripped up and replaced.

If it's showing through the ceiling drywall below, then the subfloor is probably soaked and rotting/molding and will need to be ripped up and replaced.
Yup.. It'll be quite a bit of work

Get on it sooner than later. Sub floor rot will grow. Then the mold comes to visit.

Had this exact thing happen to us a few years ago. Apparently a significant amount of the grout had cracked and fallen away but since our kids were little we only used that tub for baths so we never noticed. When my in-laws came to visit someone used the shower and bam, water damage on the downstairs ceiling. We ended up pulling the curtain and curtain rod and just using it as a tub until we redid the whole bathroom last winter. The hole I cut in the ceiling to determine the source of the leak I covered with a piece of white cardboard and since it was in our guest bedroom it stayed like that for a good 6 months before repairing it. :hillbilly: Man... the stuff you can get used to in your own home...

I'm sure you know this but make sure to use that green board when replacing the drywall.

@itpman lucky you. Mine were in my Foyer and den. I put them off for 3 month with “I need to make sure the leak is fixed.” But almost done now.

my draywall problem is there was textured ceilings at one time and they just mudded over them so 1/2” drywall is an 1/8” to thin. The small hole was easy. The big hole needs to be pointed a couple of times.

image.jpg

image.jpg

@Jakes40 You could have made the 1/2" patch fit flush by shimming it from behind where you screwed it into the bracing.

Also, this is a great trick for making small drywall patches:

yes I could have and should have. I started mudding it up and didn’t want to go back and tear it out.
I have used that patching technique on all my small patches. I don’t mind drywall work. I don’t like the sanding and clean up.

Wanted to see if there are any recommendations for a good paint job on an 80. Want to stay ahead of any rust. Tried Vienna Autobody but they now mainly do insurance work and wouldn’t take it on. Any recommendations?

D&V Autobody in Sterling (off 606 "behind" Dulles airport) did a good job on my C5 corvette a few years back.

D&V Autobody in Sterling (off 606 "behind" Dulles airport) did a good job on my C5 corvette a few years back.

I can second D&V, they're a great shop. not cheap. but quality work.

Does anyone have current recommendations for service in the DMV area? I travel between joint base Andrews and fort belvoir daily. Land cruiser heaven is just a little inconvenient to get to for me. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have current recommendations for service in the DMV area? I travel between joint base Andrews and fort belvoir daily. Land cruiser heaven is just a little inconvenient to get to for me. Thanks in advance!
Down your way, I would say Iron Pig Off-Road in Fredericksburg but I'm not sure as their Facebook page looks a bit dated. OTRAMM out near Culpepper is the go-to for most everyone around here, but that isn't necessarily that close for you either. Do you have a specific service or general maintenance?

Down your way, I would say Iron Pig Off-Road in Fredericksburg but I'm not sure as their Facebook page looks a bit dated. OTRAMM out near Culpepper is the go-to for most everyone around here, but that isn't necessarily that close for you either. Do you have a specific service or general maintenance?
I would like to have a one stop shop that I can build a customer relationship with. But currently I’m looking at a slight misfire and extremely poor mileage in my 80 series. I have a post about it in the tech section. Have new OEM spark plugs and O2 sensors to install. No misfire until after I just pulled plugs to check for issues.

I would like to have a one stop shop that I can build a customer relationship with. But currently I’m looking at a slight misfire and extremely poor mileage in my 80 series. I have a post about it in the tech section. Have new OEM spark plugs and O2 sensors to install. No misfire until after I just pulled plugs to check for issues.
There are other members down your way that may be able to weigh in on some local shops. I used to use C&C Garage in Vienna (Vienna Auto Repair - Maintenance and Services - http://candcgarage.com/) with my old Hundy and was always very pleased.

That's why I was happy to find Hillyard Automotive, they're auto enthusiasts and get excited about working with you on things. And then they do them correctly. They're out in the western edge of sterling, though so not close either.

Anyone know someone running a portable sawmill business? I got some red and white oak taken down this week and would like to get it milled up.

IMG_20210123_101550747.jpg

Just saw this video... Pretty cool review about Costco's oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom