LOCAL Resources for Service, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Services Etc. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi,

Does anyone know of a competent shop in the College Park, MD / Silver Spring, MD area? Suddenly having trouble with my FJ62 with an h55f swap. Very difficult to get into gear when stopped and the engine running.

Thanks.
Check the clutch pedal height and push rod length... if it has been difficult from the start, usually the push rod length is wrong.
If, on the other hand, it was operating fine then came on, it is possible the lock nut on the back of the pedal connection came loose and the pedal rod has backed off due to vibration. I JUST had this exact scenario happen and fixed it in 10 minutes last Sunday.

Check the clutch pedal height and push rod length... if it has been difficult from the start, usually the push rod length is wrong.
If, on the other hand, it was operating fine then came on, it is possible the lock nut on the back of the pedal connection came loose and the pedal rod has backed off due to vibration. I JUST had this exact scenario happen and fixed it in 10 minutes last Sunday.

Hi, I'll check tomorrow. Suddenly it has become a problem. Thanks for the input.

Got a feeling its not an adjustment problem. Pedal feels normal and clutch slave and master are relatively new. But can't hurt to check.
Mine felt mostly normal too... it had a bit of bounce at the top of the stroke, which meant it was not hitting the pedal stop and when I measured pedal height from the floor board, it was about 30mm too low.
I won't bet $$$, but I'm going with this as the probable cause.
That or the slave rod had a similar issue. I don't know who installed the clutch and H55f, Make sure they put the sprin on the slave cylinder or it didn't pop off.

Last edited:
Were the 'new' clutch components OEM or aftermarket?

Last edited:
This thread needs to be updated and all the tech talk moved so that this thread serves the original purpose, a list of service providers and parts and accessories suppliers to the DMZ. Maybe a moderator can create an index of the reply's with current and useful information. 22 pages of replies, most of which are not calling out a service provider or supplier is making this thread less useful.

I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this... But I'll throw it out there. ;)

I have a few tools that CLCC members can borrow.

Engine lift
Engine stand
Sand blasting bottle (you need to provide your own media)

Send me a PM if you are interested.

All of these are in good working order... But if something breaks, I'd hope the member will fix it. :)

I belong to another club as well and made the same offer... First come, first serve. :)

I had Mike at Windshield City come out and do the front glass on my '93 80.

Top quality work. Very conscientious. Sanded and touched up some very light surface rust on the edge of the metal under the gasket. Cleaned out all the accumulated junk under the cowl.

Windshield City | Chantilly Auto Glass Repair / Replacement

My new-to-me 100's driver's glass dumped into the door. I "fixed" the problem, but apparently created another one in the process. I called Mike and he talked me through a couple things to check. Got it working again. Can't say enough good things about those folks. They also filled a couple of chips on my 60's original windshield.

I did swing by there with a six pack a few weeks later.
Not saying he's working for beer, but I think talking through something over the phone is above and beyond. He did say that he's been working on a lot of cruisers lately, so hopefully he's doing good work for ya'll.

Mike's will definitely be the only glass shop I take a vehicle to going forward. He roped in my rear sliding windows in my 80 for nothing after he did my windshield the week before. Good dude and does a lot of Toyotas based on all the OEM glass I saw packaged up and stacked in his shop.

Changed out my tie rods and replaced the wheel bearings for my 80 series. Took my rig to the local NTB in Burke and they are having a difficult time getting the alignment correct. They are saying it's out of range or maxed out but they will have to adjust the passenger tie rod by popping it back out and turn it. I asked if they were to able to correct the alignment after the process and recieved a blank stare lol. If they aren't able to correct the alignment is there a competent alignment shop in the Fairfax area? Checked wheel bearing play and tire pressure and its all good. Thanks

I thought 80s you can only adjust toe in or out. You should ask them what the "spec" is they're trying to get to. Do a search in the 80 section to find out what spec is (or look in the FSM) and see if it matches up. If they say they're attempting to adjust caster or camber get your truck back from them.

I used the Goodyear affiliated shop in Burke for an alignment after I installed my BudBuilt tie rods. Centered the steering wheel and set toe fine as far as I remember.

I thought 80s you can only adjust toe in or out. You should ask them what the "spec" is they're trying to get to. Do a search in the 80 section to find out what spec is (or look in the FSM) and see if it matches up. If they say they're attempting to adjust caster or camber get your truck back from them.

I used the Goodyear affiliated shop in Burke for an alignment after I installed my BudBuilt tie rods. Centered the steering wheel and set toe fine as far as I remember.

Thanks for the insight, I asked what exactly they were trying to adjust but also a blank stare lol maybe I was just talking with a sales or reception guy? But if they can't answer the same question tomorrow I will take it elsewhere. I have the pdf manual so I'll do some research tonight.

Thanks for the insight, I asked what exactly they were trying to adjust but also a blank stare lol maybe I was just talking with a sales or reception guy? But if they can't answer the same question tomorrow I will take it elsewhere. I have the pdf manual so I'll do some research tonight.
Get the print out of the before and after and post it up here.

For my '95 Tacoma 3.4 with a blown HG and oil leaks, but otherwise in superb condition with very low miles.

Looking for a local wrench who can get my truck back in working order without draining my wallet too unreasonably. I live in western Loudoun.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be right by me, since I will likely tow the truck in for repair.

@iptman @Stumpalama , not sure why the print out says Merchants but it was done at NTB Burke. Seems within specs and was verified that the person I spoke with yesterday only worked the front desk and wasn't sure what I was talking about. The rig drives straight and no pull at all but the engine light came on shortly after my test drive but no fault of their own. Just need to save up for a new exhaust system lol.

20201107_202656.jpg

For my '95 Tacoma 3.4 with a blown HG and oil leaks, but otherwise in superb condition with very low miles.

Looking for a local wrench who can get my truck back in working order without draining my wallet too unreasonably. I live in western Loudoun.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be right by me, since I will likely tow the truck in for repair.

Hillyard Automotive is in Sterling out past the airport. They've got my truck right now.

42750 Trade W Dr #110, Sterling, VA 20166

Changed out my tie rods and replaced the wheel bearings for my 80 series. Took my rig to the local NTB in Burke and they are having a difficult time getting the alignment correct. They are saying it's out of range or maxed out but they will have to adjust the passenger tie rod by popping it back out and turn it. I asked if they were to able to correct the alignment after the process and recieved a blank stare lol. If they aren't able to correct the alignment is there a competent alignment shop in the Fairfax area? Checked wheel bearing play and tire pressure and its all good. Thanks
I'm a big fan of High Tech Auto in Chantilly, 50 & 28 area. They have been working on off-road vehicles for many years and were able to do a great alignment on my 40 with 35s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom