Lithium Jump Starter Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Amazon bait 'n switch. Loaded the GB150 into my cart about 2 hrs. ago at the $225 price, then went to read some reviews. When I went back to buy, the price had jumped from $225 to $253.49. Buyer beware!
Well, my “Amazon Deal of the Day” NOCO GB150 ($191.46) and case arrived, look good, took a charge, and have successfully started its’ first dead vehicle (a car at the airport). This thing is huge, but I like it - thanks to everyone here for the recommendation. Do you have any idea whether or not it could be used to run a Viair 450P compressor (like this Amazon product ASIN B000X9EGFS ) directly, without attaching it to a vehicle battery? If yes, how exactly would you accomplish this?

That NOCO has a 12v outlet rated at 15A and that 12v Viair is rated at 20A, so that compressor is too much demand for the regular output on that NOCO. I don’t know if you could hook the compressor up directly to the NOCO jumper cables, or you could, how long the battery would last. I couldn’t find an amp-hour rating for that NOCO.

Thanks Sandroad. I came to the same conclusion as well, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I just had to inflate a tire on a horse trailer that I couldn’t get close to with the front of the LC, and had to really stretch out my air hose and cable to their max to make it work - it would have been nice if I could have just connected the GB150 locally. Oh well...

Well, my “Amazon Deal of the Day” NOCO GB150 ($191.46) and case arrived, look good, took a charge, and have successfully started its’ first dead vehicle (a car at the airport). This thing is huge, but I like it - thanks to everyone here for the recommendation. Do you have any idea whether or not it could be used to run a Viair 450P compressor (like this Amazon product ASIN B000X9EGFS ) directly, without attaching it to a vehicle battery? If yes, how exactly would you accomplish this?

It's a DIY solution, but headway lifepo4 cells can actually do 200A (100A continuous). Order 4 of them and put them in series.

Yeah but at 8 lbs it's yuuge? But less than a group 31 so I better shut up.

Meh... Fits under a seat... ;)
Plus...you can subtract the weight of quality jumper cables you won’t have to carry...

Meh... Fits under a seat... ;)
Plus...you can subtract the weight of quality jumper cables you won’t have to carry...
Good point except I already carry an extra battery? I'm resisting the compulsive buying disorder. Besides I'm tired of being AAA or Good Sams club for stupid people, someone I know got yelled at for helping.

Had to use mine 3 or 4 times the last week. I hadn't looked at it in over a year. So I pulled it out to see how much juice it had if any.
Lo and behold it was still fully charged after at least 9 months with no use at all. I followed @Markuson's lead when I got mine and got the same size. That things rocks....and keeps on ticking. I'm sold on that bit of kit. :)

Had to use mine 3 or 4 times the last week. I hadn't looked at it in over a year. So I pulled it out to see how much juice it had if any.
Lo and behold it was still fully charged after at least 9 months with no use at all. I followed @Markuson's lead when I got mine and got the same size. That things rocks....and keeps on ticking. I'm sold on that bit of kit. :)

But wait, there's more!

Today only the GB150 4000 Amp jump starter pack is only $173.54 (GB150 on Amazon Deal of the Day)

I still highly recommend it.

HTH

Great deal on a great product. I have the GB 150 (upgraded from the GB70 that now resides in my wife’s trunk). Used it this last week on vacation to help out a guy with a dead battery parked in single car garage. Pain to try to jump but the Noco made it easy. I’m guessing he will be buying one soon after having to wander around vacation rentals looking for help to start his truck.

Great deal on a great product. I have the GB 150 (upgraded from the GB70 that now resides in my wife’s trunk). Used it this last week on vacation to help out a guy with a dead battery parked in single car garage. Pain to try to jump but the Noco made it easy. I’m guessing he will be buying one soon after having to wander around vacation rentals looking for help to start his truck.

I wonder if after having time to use both models if you think there is a compelling reason to go with the bigger harder to pack unit? I'm trying to determine if the GB70 is more than adequate and of course easier to find a spot for or do I just buy the biggest one? Thanks!

I wonder if after having time to use both models if you think there is a compelling reason to go with the bigger harder to pack unit? I'm trying to determine if the GB70 is more than adequate and of course easier to find a spot for or do I just buy the biggest one? Thanks!

My rationale in the big GB150...
With the larger unit, I use it for all sorts of other items. Lights in tent, charging phone or ipad...running a Kariba water pump (shower), and have even run a smaller investor to charge a 15” Macbook Pro.

The great thing about the big one is...it’s got power to spare. So you don’t need to worry that you’re compromising jump-start ability if you use it for other stuff.

@Markuson said it spot on. The GB70 was absolutely adequate to start the LC one time when I had a failing battery. I jumped on a deal to grab a GB150 when it was on a similar sale. The main benefit to the GB150 is if you want to use it as a charging station for other electronics. As for starting the rig, both are great.

Edit - the GB150 is not really much harder to pack than the 70. I pack assorted gear anyway, what is a few more inches and ounces.

I think I'll wait to pick one up used after you guys all get your new Tesla trucks? :rofl:

I got a generic brand starter a couple summers ago. Started the rig fine a couple times when the oem battery failed. It does lose charge over time. I was going to get a NoCo, but veered left and got a super cap instead. Mainly due to the occasional li-ion fire and cold weather capacity concerns.
No use data yet.

I went with the NOCO GB70. It's more than enough to jump the LC if the starting battery dies and and that's the only reason I'll carry it in my tool bag. If I have power needs beyond that for a trip, I have a wonderful 50 Ah Battle Born LiFePo4 battery I take with me that's hooked up to a variety of power supply options, including a Samlex sine wave inverter. It will even run my DC fridge for at least a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom