Let's see your man cave / shop lounge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The lift seems to be ok, to be honest, didnt put the cruiser on it yet and hope it will fit with its short wheelbase....:p :hmm:

The ceiling is actually 12.5 ft and the lift reaches 6.06 ft .

Appreciate the feedback.

Let me know if it fits, I don't know why it wouldn't ..

I am interested in how much room you would have to work between the lift ramps. If you don't mind when you get the 40 on it take some pics.

I have a 2 post lift now, I may go a different route in the future .
My ceilings are 16 ft which was way overkill. but I wanted to have more than enough clearance for the lift... Mission accomplished ; )

Thanks again

I am interested in how much room you would have to work between the lift ramps. If you don't mind when you get the 40 on it take some pics.

31.5 Inch between the ramps.

They got a english description on their pdf : Look for Page 16

What are u trying to do?
I put one in my basement as well as a dust collector system for the limited woodworking I do.
Did some cuts with a cheap table saw on pine one weekend without it and I coughed for a week afterwards.
Wood dust is incredibly toxic and if you have a semi closed garage or basement you will need it.
I will post some pictures up

Yes it's a AFS-1000. I really like it. I originally had it up high and to be honest I didn't think it did so hot so I put it on chains and lowered it to where it was just above my head and I could manually turn it on if I wanted. The remote was worthless unless I was right in front of the unit. I also have it pointed down so when I do open the garage door it's pointed to exhaust out the door. In the summer I take the fine filter and just use a fiberglass filter. It works great for most dust and really does a good job of getting smoke and paint fumes out of the garage.

Ya'll just gave me an idea..... rig up some pulleys I have floating around so I can keep it by the ceiling, but then lower it a bit when I'm working on my wood :banana::hillbilly:

Here's one from the other day, its a two car garage, with a vaulted ceiling and half mezanine. I have a couple skylights in there which increase the light in the summertime, The wife asked me to put the longboards out of the way for the winter so they are up on the wall at the moment. Its a real mess in there latley, my hilux project half started, and the mess from the new bumper and clutch work on the 80.
IMG_1988.jpg

Update 2012

The FJ40 man cave garage now has a lift and some other minor changes are done. :cool:

Had a new years party and a small Cruiserhead meeting in there, the fireplace does work well.:popcorn:
I sat through the whole thing hoping to see you lift the 40 on it! :bang:

Every man cave could use a man table...
Man Tables - Home

Interesting... But...

I would say that looks like a good way of putting beer fridge somewhere you want to conceal it.

Good for a TV room where you wife has company over.

But us guys with "garage" man caves shouldnt have to hide our beer fridges. They should be big, and obvious and full of beer! :cheers:

edit: now that I think about it I should have one of those downstairs in the TV room!

Sometimes god smiles upon you. A friend of mine was doing a refit for some of his stores. He had a choice. Throw them away or keep them. But he cannot sell them. He got like 20 of these and being the friend he is he gave me 4 of them. I'm in heaven. Don't even know where to start. Will make a great addition to my shop. I'm sure these will look familiar to you.
image-2411411140.jpg
image-2627102572.jpg

Here's one from the other day, its a two car garage, with a vaulted ceiling and half mezanine. I have a couple skylights in there which increase the light in the summertime, The wife asked me to put the longboards out of the way for the winter so they are up on the wall at the moment. Its a real mess in there latley, my hilux project half started, and the mess from the new bumper and clutch work on the 80.

What brand of headlight is that? They are awesome...

What brand of headlight is that? They are awesome...

Those are the Halo ebay projectors. I think they were around $230. Light output is great compared to the stock headlights, Im really happy with them. :cheers:

Sometimes god smiles upon you. A friend of mine was doing a refit for some of his stores. He had a choice. Throw them away or keep them. But he cannot sell them. He got like 20 of these and being the friend he is he gave me 4 of them. I'm in heaven. Don't even know where to start. Will make a great addition to my shop. I'm sure these will look familiar to you.

Way to go Marshall. If you get tired of them, there will be a line waiting to take them off your hands.

Bump for more...keep `em coming.

Here is my little man cave story with pictures. I have some (or a lot) of this posted in a build thread but it seems more appropriate here.

First up, I rent, can't afford to buy a house in the county where I live. I been living at the same place for about 8yrs, known the landlord for nearly 16yrs. The property is for sale but has been for sale for 10yrs or more, doubt it is selling anytime soon especially with the crappy economy! The house I live in is a converted horse stall :eek: yeah I know, pretty trashy. But it was converted pretty well, stays warm anyways and isn't to shabby inside. Any ways, on one side of the house there has always been this garage (not usable as a garage), more just like a storage area. All these years I have just had my junk stuffed in there. It was a filthy space, very ugly, very drafty and no use to me other than to put my junk. The space is about 20ftx18ft so right around 400sqft.

A few years ago I built a bunch of shelves in this storage area so I could put more of my junk in here! The shelves came out well and we built some of them to hold heavy stuff like axles or transmissions. Had I known I was going to make this space into a shop I would have done the shelves different so I had a bit more wall space. But whatever, they work.

I wish I had a before picture, I don't but now would be the time to post it! A few months back I decided this space was being wasted and at the same time I was in dire need of a work area. I have three projects in the works right now, one for a customer. So we tore into the space to convert it into a workshop.

First up we scrapped 6" off the floor. It was dirt, old decomposing hay, horse s***, some rocks and just plain nasty! This was probably the worst part of the project. Pick axing seriously compacted soil full of horse s*** sucks. Any ways we got that done, leveled a bit and started bringing in crush. We laid the crush about 5-6" deep and wet it down plus compacted it every 1/2-1". I didn't even try hard to level it other than by eye, it actually came out very level though! The walls in the space were so drafty you could literally see light outside. The ceiling was also open to the rafters. Heating this in winter was not going to work! One end of the space has two big bay doors, the hanging kind that slide. So I have good room to move a truck in and out even if the workshop is only big enough for one truck. Any ways, I am blah'ing on so to make it short....

I insulated and sealed up the ceiling with some Celotex and taped off all the seams. I decided to heat it a wood stove would do. A friend gave me an old school Fisher wood stove. So I bought some new stove pipe for it. After the floor was done we built basically a hearth. Just a small concrete slab for the stove to sit on and than we put Durarock on the walls around the stove area. Since I needed to save space I wanted to mount the stove sideways along the wall. So I got a sheet of stainless steel and made some 1 1/2" spacers. I then mounted that to the wall behind the stove for a heat shield. The rest of the walls we drywalled with 5/8's. I also insulated the bay doors and the side access door. I hung a large sheet of construction plastic over the bay doors too to cut down any drafts, it works well. I siliconed and spray foamed all the walls and ceiling to eliminate drafts. I got my electrician buddy to come over and run me some power for a new compressor, plasma cutter and welder. I bought some new tools for the shop too. I installed some lights which are all on a switch inside the house. I made some racks for my wrenches and a few small shelves for things like iPod stereo and air tool stuff. I used some old "quick fists" I had around to mount my fire extinguisher and my flash light. The fire extinguisher is obvious but I need the flashlight close to the outside doors to get firewood at night. Blah blah blah....

All up it is working well. It is very nice to finally have a works pace, no idea why I didn't do this sooner! I still need to do some things like, make some axle stands, buy a tool chest, clean up and finish off the wiring and get rid of more of my junk! It is a one truck shop and just big enough to fit an 80-series chassis I have in here. I used a lot of scrap material I had around and or that I bummed from friends to build this. I am also no carpenter! it is not a "pro" built shop but it suits me.

Enough blah'ing on, here are some pictures!

Here we are working the floor and I had just moved in the new compressor.

main.php

main.php

main.php

A picture of the "hearth" and the bay doors.

main.php

After drywall and some lights it was starting to come around.

main.php

main.php

And the more completed workshop...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

My work bench, I know it is a total mess. I am in the middle of working on a project! I clean it up every few days...

main.php

And the finished shop with a project I am working on....

main.php

All in all I am pretty stoked. I turned a totally wasted junk space into a very usable space! So far I have had the shop up to 90 degrees while it was 15 degrees outside. Not bad but to hot! I try to keep it around 75 when I am working in there. I got four cords of wood so that should last me the winter. An added bonus is the stove helps heat my house. I have barely even turned the heat on in my house this winter! A few days ago I installed one of those "garage-in-a-box" right outside the bay doors. It is pretty big, 12ftx20ft and gives me a lot of covered space outside to store my junk. Organizing is key with such a small shop. I am still pretty disorganized but it is coming around. I have been tossing out junk I don't need for weeks! I simply love to fire up the stove, crank up the stereo, crack a cold beer and get to work, it truly is bliss! Any ways, there is my man cave, it is so useful and nice to have I been out in it working nearly everyday for the last three weeks.

:cheers:

I cleaned up the work bench a touch and also picked up this cheap Harbor Freight tool chest over the weekend. Tool chest is made in China, brand is US General but it is an 8-drawer and I got it for $360. It is pretty nice for $360 and will suit me. It is already full to the brim with tools, I am stoked!

So here is a proper picture of my work bench and new tool chest. :)

main.php

Could you do a 3/4 view of that entrance? It looks like it is an "awning" over the door and not just a flat piece on the wall, but sort of hard to tell from the straight-on photo.

Finally completed the retaining wall next to the shop on Friday. It has been months since we started and we finished up the chain link fence over the New Year's break, so the county inspector signed off on everything Friday. Maybe now the check book can make some recovery.
0106131404_0366.jpg
0106131405_0367.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom