Leaking birf with trip coming up next week- will it last? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hunttractor.com
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG
I crawled under the cruiser to do some pre trip inspection and found a bunch of grease leaking from the birf. 3 weeks ago it looked fine, but now... My wife has been using it as her daily driver for less than 10 miles a day and we have been in the mountain snow a couple times since my last look. The grease is very clean and there is a lot of it.

I have a trip coming up next weekend (10 days from now) I will be towing the LC on a trailer behind a motor home to southwest UT and then driving around Brice, Zion, and Capital Reef. No hard wheeling. I estimate 800 to 1000 miles of LC driving on mostly gravel and asphalt, maybe a semi difficult trail or two.

My question is: Do you guys think I can get away with adding grease before and during the trip and then reseal the birf when I get back? There is about 10k miles on it since the birfs were done by PO. Unknown work quality. Or do I need to get it done before. I have limited time and would not be able to do it myself before we go. I would be able to do it myself after the trip.

Grease on the outside is not a problem.

It's when there's no grease on the inside that you worry!

Where's the leak? :bang:

Not so bad though, fill the zerk before you leave and I'd check the fluid again when you get to your destination and fill the zerk fitting.

If you see grease all over your inner tire wall then it's getting worst.

Last edited:
What @pilotuku said.... This is bad (my before shot - both tires had diff fluid leaking on the inside wall of the tires)
IMG_6626.JPG

And then I get to show off with my "after" picture! :)

IMG_7469.JPG

Thanks for the input. Tools- I'd like to know what your statement "likely to make it" means. How likely? The last thing I want is to break down in the middle of nowhere. I also do not want to do damage to birfs that are supposed to have only around 10K miles on them at this point.

Was this caused by diff oil getting into the knuckle? Blown axle seal then? The grease looks pretty thick.

I assume that pilotuku means fill the grease through the plug not a zerk?

Take a grease gun and 3 Tubes of Pallidium with you and sleep easy.

Thanks for the input. Tools- I'd like to know what your statement "likely to make it" means. How likely? The last thing I want is to break down in the middle of nowhere.

Then don't leave the driveway in a 20+ yr old rig!:hillbilly: As long as it has lube, is likely good to go.

... Was this caused by diff oil getting into the knuckle? Blown axle seal then? The grease looks pretty thick.

Most likely the seal is somewhat compromised. What axle breather is on it, is it plugged up?

I assume that pilotuku means fill the grease through the plug not a zerk?

Yes, check, if needed replenish the moly grease through the plug. Would check the gear oil for contamination, change if needed, check the knuckle nuts for correct torque (71ft/lb).

Tools- Let me rephrase one statement- The last thing I want to do is break down in the middle of nowhere because of a known issue I didn't fix. Not that I would be excited to be broken down in the middle of nowhere due to un unknown issue but that is the risk we take for a little fun. :)

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it lubed up on the trip. I'll check the diff breather tonight along with the knuckle nuts and diff fluid.

Since both sides are leaking I would suspect a plugged vent.
I would make sure everything is clear from the axle tube to the vent cap, remove and verify that all of the parts are clear and can move air.

Those pictures are all of the same side. For some reason 3 uploaded instead of 2. The first and third are of the top and the 2nd pic is of the bottom of same birf. Sorry for the confusion. I will definitely check the breather and tube tonight to make sure everything is clear.

Get the (3 or 4 oz?) tubes of Molly grease off Amazon. I keep at least 2 of them in my truck tool bag at all times, maybe you should keep a couple more. Every couple days, poke a zip tie down in the square-top fill port, if shes low then fill it up. You could realistically go a long time like that, and certainly wouldn't need to delay your vacation. I had to rebuild mine half way on cross country move (semi-planned though). Wasn't nearly as bad I thought it would be, just really messy. Keep your truck lubricated and it will take you anywhere and back home.

Who sells the best reseal kit? Should I go with Toyota OEM or is there something better out there. I think this had a Nitro kit in it before and it has failed in around 10K miles.

Who sells the best reseal kit? Should I go with Toyota OEM or is there something better out there. I think this had a Nitro kit in it before and it has failed in around 10K miles.

Our go to is Cruiser Outfitters have used many with good results.

I just replaced w marlin crawler kit....130$for both sides. extremely easy to change. It took me a couple
hours per side.First time doing it.

Not too bad. Keep an eye on it and re-grease periodically until knuckle job. I would hop in and do the trip even without the trailer.

x2 on @cruiseroutfit for knuckle kit. I got the timken bearings (a little cheaper than koyo) and they're holding up just dandy.

I checked the diff breather and it doesn't seem plugged. I can blow through it, but not easily. How easy should it be to blow through? It took quite a bit of force to get some air through. I tried cleaning it out with solvent, but it didn't seem to make it any better.

I also checked the diff fluid and the oil level was right up to the bottom of the fill hole. I also checked the plug on the knuckle and the grease seems to be full up to the end of the bolt. I would estimate 3-4 ounces has leaked out so I'll refill and keep an eye on it.

X3 on CruiserOutfitters

X4 on Cruiser Outfitters

I have two kits sitting on my shelf waiting to do my 92&93.

FWIW, my knuckles looked like that prior to my 4400 mile trip. I didn't have time to do my knuckles so I just brought grease along and checked at the end of each day the first few days. Then checked less frequently when it wasn't low. Ended up using two tubs of Valvoline Moly Blend ($5-6 each) over the trip.

Prior to the trip I scooped all of one tub in to a gallon FREEZER zip loc bag (turn it inside out and stick your hand in the bag and use it like a glove to scoop the grease out of the tub). Then flip it back right side out. Then cut a 1/4" hole off one corner. Use the bag like you are frosting a cake to squeeze the grease in the hole on the top/front of the knuckle.

I keep the bag of grease inside another gallon FREEZER zip loc when traveling. And take a couple extra just in case.

...I also checked the plug on the knuckle and the grease seems to be full up to the end of the bolt. I would estimate 3-4 ounces has leaked out so I'll refill and keep an eye on it.

Too much grease in the knuckle and the grease will make it past the wiper seal on the knuckle ball at some point. Since it's coming out on the top of the knuckle ball (instead of just 3/4 up the ball...), I'd say you've got too much grease in that knuckle.
Now that the seal is compromised, though, you're better off keeping that knuckle greased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom