LC100/LX470 Part-Time Conversion Discussion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice! This kit + auburn LSD for rear: 2 black stripes and loads of fun. It'll be just like my old supercharged 3rd gen 4runner!

here are a couple of pics from my install

IMG-0073.JPG

IMG-0072.JPG

IMG-0071.JPG

Attachment.jpg

Attachment (1).jpg

cosmetically speaking, does the new locking hub sit about flush with the stock hub cap in place with the center plastic cut out?

cosmetically speaking, does the new locking hub sit about flush with the stock hub cap in place with the center plastic cut out?
I am running wheel spacers, 1" if i remember maybe 1.25"... my hubs are basically flush with the rim face so i am running with out center caps. the caps do fit over the hub though.

IMG-0076.JPG

IMG-0077.JPG

My kit is out for delivery. UPS won't let me sign for it in advance so hopefully no hiccups on that end since it has to be signed for.

Very excited!

My kit is out for delivery. UPS won't let me sign for it in advance so hopefully no hiccups on that end since it has to be signed for.

Very excited!

Just delivered at my Parcel Locker.....how am I supposed to work for the next 3 hours!?!

Look what I got! Kit came as described with the hubs assembled, c clip set, FIPG, hub flange gasket, etc. I had them press a fresh spool bearing on, as you can see here. You need to either swap your original bearing onto the spool or, much easier, buy a new spool bearing and race from Kurt and they will press it for you free of charge. How’s that for customer service?

Kurt, pleasure as always doing business. I’ll probably get ahead of myself and install the hubs this week. I’m booked the next two weekends so we will see on the spool.

AB84AB65-A86D-4CBA-ADDF-EA918AE118E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good. Good idea to add the preinstalled bearing.

Look what I got! Kit came as described with the hubs assembled, c clip set, FIPG, hub flange gasket, etc. I had them press a fresh spool bearing on, as you can see here. You need to either swap your original bearing onto the spool or, much easier, buy a new spool bearing and race from Kurt and they will press it for you free of charge. How’s that for customer service?

Kurt, pleasure as always doing business. I’ll probably get ahead of myself and install the hubs this week. I’m booked the next two weekends so we will see on the spool.

View attachment 2195041
Damn that’s pretty. Somebody throw me a few bones so I can buy this kit!

How mine sit, 2013 200 series wheels, no spacers
5B55AF78-3401-450C-9DF2-9F2682E09641.jpeg
4E9B4450-1A82-4405-BABE-3FFA7E1C19EA.jpeg

Kurt- Got a dumb question: With the spool installed, the CDL button becomes the 4WD on/off switch right? So if in the rare case the switch or actuator fails somehow- no 4wd? Got another dumb question: Are there any other operational concerns to consider- say like the Mrs. is driving the truck and inadvertently pushed the diff lock button while the hubs are unlocked- what happens?

I'd really like to do this upgrade, and thinking ahead through the process of installation (Ive got Slee belly skid so Ive got a little prep work to do to get at the TC): seems to make sense that since I haven't re-geared diffs, maybe doing the 3:1 low range reduction and 10% high range under drive "while Im in there" is worth consideration. Are the new gear sets for high range & low range cut the same way as factory gears; what's the expectation of TC gear noise with the new set up?

Kurt- Got a dumb question: With the spool installed, the CDL button becomes the 4WD on/off switch right? So if in the rare case the switch or actuator fails somehow- no 4wd? Got another dumb question: Are there any other operational concerns to consider- say like the Mrs. is driving the truck and inadvertently pushed the diff lock button while the hubs are unlocked- what happens?

I'd really like to do this upgrade, and thinking ahead through the process of installation (Ive got Slee belly skid so Ive got a little prep work to do to get at the TC): seems to make sense that since I haven't re-geared diffs, maybe doing the 3:1 low range reduction and 10% high range under drive "while Im in there" is worth consideration. Are the new gear sets for high range & low range cut the same way as factory gears; what's the expectation of TC gear noise with the new set up?
this is exactly what I just did.

if you have the hubs unlocked and the center diff gets locked you are just spinning the drive shaft, front diff, and CV's. I have been driving my truck in this configuration for months, it should not damage anything.

you can also expect that there will be increased noise from the lower gear set, how ever I am not sure how much since my case is not in yet, hopefully installing the case in the next few weeks. Cruiser Outfitters does carrier two low range gear options for the 3.1:1, there are some from trail gear and the others are Sumo gears and those are manufactured in Japan. I went with the Sumo option personally while the other guy that built his case at the same time did the trail gear route.

I am pretty stoked to get on the under drive gear since it effectively turn my high range ratio to 4.73:1 and with the 3.1:1 my low will be 14.663:1. super excited to say the least!

the 10% under range would turn a 4:10 gear ratio for the '03-'07 100s into an effective 4:51 ratio? That's intriguing.

This seems like it would actually be an ideal gear ratio if someone was going with 33.5-34" tire. I have 4.88s and with 34" tires, I am running about 6% high at the speedo. With my gearing, I am at about 29-30 MPH per 1000 RPM in top gear (4th on my 1999).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom