Knuckle Rebuild Kit Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is probably a well-worn topic, but I'm ready to do mine and would like to order a front axle service kit asap and am looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Cruiser Outfitters thirded!

Georg at Valley Hybrids ships them out lightning fast too. @orangefj45 here on Mud

Hey,

Do yourself a favor and go buy OEM parts from Amayama.com (Amayama Trading).

few months ago I bought the following parts for rebuilding my knuckles:

2 x 12157-10010
2 x 90310-35010
2 x 43204-60032
2 x 43435-60020
2 x 43436-60011
2 x 90313-93003
2 x 90311-62001
2 x 90214-42030
2 x 90215-42025
2 x 90521-34005
2 x 90520-31007
2 x 43422-60060
4 x 90366-20003 I went for the Koyo 30304AJ ($5.5 each...!!!!!)

total: 130.56 USD

For me the parts shipped from single location (UAE warehouse) and it was around 30 USD.
So the total including shipping to 98230 was around 160 USD which is actually cheaper than any aftermarket kit.....!!!!!?????

regards,

It's nice saving a couple bucks here and there. I have no doubt amayama is selling OEM Toyota parts.

But think about supporting the vendors supporting your hobbies.

Cruiser Outfitters is great to work with. I like Slee, mostly because they are local to me, I save shipping, and they are always helpful on the phone and face to face.

I'm curious to try the "Terrain Tamer" kits, only because they are sold by Georg (@orangefj45) and Onur (@beno) 2 guys I believe in. I will say that the critical part is the inner axle seal, and for that, I would recommend only the Toyota version.

The while youre in there list is well worth the time, since you have to yank out most of it anyway. Trunion bearings, rotors, inner and outer bearings, and 100 series brake pads for the new rotors. Get the Hex replacement diff drain and fill plugs too. Knock all that out,and you'll be golden for quite a while.

The Terrain Tamer is a serious, well built kit and comes with spares as well. I would get this again with the Koyo bearings all around.

Cruiser outfitters @cruiseroutfit kit is great. The inner seal looks to be OEM (I bought their kit as well as an OEM inner seal and they looked identical, I put the cruiser outfitters one in). I also was able to source nitro Birfs from them, so they can take care of you for whatever you need!

Cruiser Outfitters
They have 54mm Socket too

Valvoline Pallidium Grease (Napa) Get 5 Tubes it's cheap
Red High Pressure Bearing Grease (Timkin makes)
Nitrile Gloves
Paper Towels
4 cans Brake Cleaner
Foil Chaffing Dish you can pitch
Cardboard

Harbor Freight Seal and Bearing Driver Kit (worth the $$)

A helper to hand the greasy parts off to be cleaned.

Are you going to replace the wheel bearings? Expensive
Hint: If you buy Chinese you deserve what awaits you.

Are you going to flip the birfield joints? Cheap

RING, SHAFT SNAP (FOR FRONT DRIVE INNER SHAFT OUTER) 90521-34005 x2
Will add a few hours to job.
Flipping changes wear pattern and ensures grease is fresh.

I would get the new Hex drain plugs while your messing around.
They use an Allen Head instead of a Hex Head and have a magnet to attract any floating steel.

How old is your Differential Fluid? Change it if you do not know. It smells wonderful

I went with Dan... Not disappointed. I like saving money as much as the next guy. I also like having folks on here that contribute and give great advice. That having been said I pulled the trigger on Dan. He was good to talk to and he gave me a straight deal with everything.

I just did mine a month ago and first time I did the job, Cruiser Outfitters kit served me well. Thought about compiling a list of parts, but seemed easier to buy them and support an active vendor.

add a blue tarp to put under the truck, and either alum turkey tray, or cardboard directly under the wheels/axles. get a buttload of paper towels and nitrile gloves. youll use a lot more than you think. have a garbage can handy with extra bags for all the paper towels.

and chicks dig the smell of gear oil.....just lather yourself in it and watch the ladies find you like a honey badger finding a cobra....

Some local Cruiser friends recommended the Trail Gear kit, with wheel bearings, it came out to $125 + shipping. A friend helped me do last weekend and it runs great. The Jonesy video on youtube helped too. You might as well replace your break pads while you're at it, unless they're brand new.

Some local Cruiser friends recommended the Trail Gear kit, with wheel bearings, it came out to $125 + shipping. A friend helped me do last weekend and it runs great. The Jonesy video on youtube helped too. You might as well replace your break pads while you're at it, unless they're brand new.

That price is Unbelievable!
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/specials.html
Cruiser Outfitters

Cruiser is charging $205 for the same.

Something tells me you meant to say it comes with Trunion Bearings not Wheel Bearings.

That price is Unbelievable!
Cruiser Outfitters

Cruiser is charging $205 for the same.

Something tells me you meant to say it comes with Trunion Bearings not Wheel Bearings.
Yes, it comes with trunion bearings too. Without wheel bearings its $75, with wheel bearings $125: Trail Gear

This was just a recommendation to me by friends who have used Trail Gear and have been wheelin' for a year or two afterwards. I'm sure some will say if it isn't OEM, it'll break tomorrow. I use mostly OEM, but at times I won't, and I've had a few recommendations for TG, all had good experiences with the kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom