KISS Drawers (Keep It Simple Storage) For 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, what about just using a narrow marine hatch to access the area beneath the "wings" instead of making the whole wing removable/hinged? Like some of the simple solutions people are using for tailgate storage?

Wish these had been available a year ago - I'd never have spent the fortune on ARB. Really nice stuff.

Looks great!! Curious, how are they secured to floor? I built a set quite some time ago for my 100 and secured them to the "D" rings. My 80 does not have tie-down points so trying to figure out best option for securing them.

@cruzerDave would you consider only selling the top??

dave - nice choice on the top material.

I really like the simplicity of these... I want some.:)

I see pics in the 100 series with the seats folded, but do you have any pics or input from the betas in an 80? I'm curious how the height of the platform matches up with the 80 2nd row seats folded forward? my 80 seats don't lay flat unless you space the back/latch up about 2.5", which puts the height closer to 13". I'm not concernned if it isn't 100% flat, but want to make sure it's flat enough to sleep on.

Also, the 80 series floor has a mild slope towards the front that starts roughly in the middle of the cargo area, making a high spot - does that create an issue for mounting?

Do you have more pics of the frame mounted in an 80? The u-bolt attachment specifically?

Mounting pics in an 80 after I get these 20 out the door - been a real slog but on the cusp. Watch this thread. In general this is yes doable and yes you would need a small piece to bridge the gap because the 80 seats slide so far fwd on such a slope - totally doable

Also, what about just using a narrow marine hatch to access the area beneath the "wings" instead of making the whole wing removable/hinged? Like some of the simple solutions people are using for tailgate storage?

Almost all the feedback I had was for full wing flip-up, or in a few cases, removed entirely. This is one of those cases where 10 peopel will want 10 different things, and I had to play averages. Being a guy doing this on the side I don't have bandwidth for all the scenarios, sorry. Being made of friendly'ol wood they are easy enough for you to cut that hatch in whatever size & shape & location you want though. These are 'your starting point' after all;)

Wish these had been available a year ago - I'd never have spent the fortune on ARB. Really nice stuff.

ARBs on Craigslist + KISS Drawers = cash in pocket for another mod;)

Looks great!! Curious, how are they secured to floor? I built a set quite some time ago for my 100 and secured them to the "D" rings. My 80 does not have tie-down points so trying to figure out best option for securing them.

80 & 100s both secure via 1/4-20 U-bolts to the factory rear seat mounts.

@cruzerDave would you consider only selling the top??

Sorry, you're talking a one-off that would also waste a bunch of a board, and shipping is still pretty big... I'd feel guilty charging you that much

This is a very simple solution that is very close to what I dreamed up. My 4x milk crates and carpeted scrap plywood POC definitely sold me on the rear drawer setup. That gap between the platform and seats is a PITA for a air mattress but it would be easy enough to rig up something like a hinged strip or even a pool noodle would fill that gap minimal effort. I'm rocking two of @LandCruiserPhil PUMA mounts that I need to cut around but those removable wings have solved that problem quite handily. Nice job, I just put my name on the list!

Do any of the betas have pics of a fridge mounted with slides on top?

I'll post some more photos as I get things wrapped up next week, but here's a teaser shot. The guys at the Line-X shop were so impressed they gave me their card and asked me to send them a pic when I got it all finished.

BNRCVwKl.jpg

@TexasCrane Or anyone else rocking car seats. How do you plan to secure the behind the seat strap with the rear floor anchor covered? I have a couple ideas but am curious to see what others are doing here.

I'll post some more photos as I get things wrapped up next week, but here's a teaser shot. The guys at the Line-X shop were so impressed they gave me their card and asked me to send them a pic when I got it all finished.

BNRCVwKl.jpg

TexasC - Very Nice !

I was having the same idea for the top & drawer faces including staining or painting the interior surfaces black. By chance what did your lineX shop charge you to spray the top & drawer faces?

@TexasCrane Or anyone else rocking car seats. How do you plan to secure the behind the seat strap with the rear floor anchor covered? I have a couple ideas but am curious to see what others are doing here.

This is new to me as we just flipped my son's car seat around last week. Basically, you can still access the side anchors. The middle one is usable, but you have to attach it before you install the frame as it sits over the top of it. The trick seems to be that you just need to leave enough slack in the strap so that it's snug when the drawers are pushed all the way in. I've yanked on the seat pretty good and I'm confident that it's all secure.

Xqi1DqVl.jpg

QhHZuJMl.jpg

RQUgNGHl.jpg

TexasC - Very Nice !

I was having the same idea for the top & drawer faces including staining or painting the interior surfaces black. By chance what did your lineX shop charge you to spray the top & drawer faces?

Nobody likes to talk about how much Linex costs.

Nobody likes to talk about how much Linex costs.

I heard that- :eek: LineX is proud of their coating. I considered using monstaliner but the surface texture is not as uniform as lineX.

Ouch- $250 just changed my mind about using lineX. Thanks TC

You want the larger access. It's a weird space and limiting the ingress/egress is a recipe for frustration.

My systems sides have been wide open (home build), half removable (ARB/ Outback) and full access by flip up (TrekBoxx).

So now you're in for $950? (system, shipping, linex)

I was a beta tester so I'm in for less than that. That said, Monstaliner was going to cost me $150 + shipping. I got some samples and liked the surface texture just fine, but decided that it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to do the monstaliner myself. I also tested some bedliner in a can as well as spray paint, and wasn't happy with them as potential surface coatings. They're fine for the edges/interior of the drawers, but I didn't want to use them on the exterior surface.

I also considered carpet, but decided that I wanted a more "crud proof" surface.

I was a beta tester so I'm in for less than that. That said, Monstaliner was going to cost me $150 + shipping. I got some samples and liked the surface texture just fine, but decided that it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to do the monstaliner myself. I also tested some bedliner in a can as well as spray paint, and wasn't happy with them as potential surface coatings. They're fine for the edges/interior of the drawers, but I didn't want to use them on the exterior surface.

I also considered carpet, but decided that I wanted a more "crud proof" surface.

Fair assessment.

I came across a product made by U-pol that is sold 750ml bottles; covers 25-30sqft. Applied with a schutz gun, or HVLP gun. For $32 I might experiment with it. From the images the surface finish looks closer to a professionally applied coating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom