Is this parts rig a steal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
Saw this today. Thinking about it.
Need the dash and steering for me but would part out the rest.

Never done it, curious time investment and general advice on what to expect

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_2536.png

In my opinion, id say yes.

I like em for the nuts and bolts and odd pieces.

Indeed…a steal.

NO!

And I’ll tell you why.
First: I’ve said this before; crop your screenshots. If it was a steal, you provided exactly where to find it, which I did. Which leads me to the NO! (If it were a steal, someone’s going to buy it out from under you)

Did you read the ad?
He’s essentially keeping all the valuable parts, the glass AND he’s cutting the roof off. No trans/t-case either so you’re essentially buying the engine with unknown status and axles? Oh, no title either so good luck getting rid of it. He’s trying to recoup his investment and leave the headache part to someone else.

Say you did buy it: do you have the place to store it and the time it will take to recoup your money and find somewhere to take the carcass?

NO!

And I’ll tell you why.
First: I’ve said this before; crop your screenshots. If it was a steal, you provided exactly where to find it, which I did. Which leads me to the NO! (If it were a steal, someone’s going to buy it out from under you)

Did you read the ad?
He’s essentially keeping all the valuable parts, the glass AND he’s cutting the roof off. No trans/t-case either so you’re essentially buying the engine with unknown status and axles? Oh, no title either so good luck getting rid of it. He’s trying to recoup his investment and leave the headache part to someone else.

Say you did buy it: do you have the place to store it and the time it will take to recoup your money and find somewhere to take the carcass?
Yep.

if that's the case its a no go.

^^^
If that’s the case I agree also. He’s cutting the roof AND removing some of the valuable parts.

I got a complete one in comparable shape with only the carb, alternator, and smog pump missing … $1500. Maybe I grabbed the steering wheel and valve cover too, I can’t recall. Anyway, all the sheet metal, complete drivetrain, axles, glass. It’s rusty but probably a far better deal than that considering the t-case is actually present.

Oh, and it has a title.

On the face of it, parting out a Land Cruiser is great for fun and profit, but when you actually start doing it, you quickly learn that it offers neither of those things.

Signed,

A guy with a garage full of FJ62 parts that no one wants.

On the face of it, parting out a Land Cruiser is great for fun and profit, but when you actually start doing it, you quickly learn that it offers neither of those things.

Signed,

A guy with a garage full of FJ62 parts that no one wants.

Truth. I have parts from 2 FJ60s, 2FJ62s, fragments of a FZJ80, and a box of cast off 70 series parts that no one wanted.

I have a 84fj60 complete with title it's crusty and a 92 fj80 with title not so complete along with 95 fzj80 with title shell and frame just don't feel like dealing with parting them out. Of my shipping container wasn't full of the rest of my hoarding I would disassemble them and put parts on shelves like a organized person lol

It’s a steel for the seller not the buyer. I paid $1200 for a complete but rusty fj62. Didn’t run but had title and lowing mile 3fe. Nice clean manual crank door panels that swap into my 60 nicely.

Heck, I've been trying for months to sell a 62 with lower mileage, runs good, nice dash, I'm keeping the seats and gas tank and dropped the price to $1800 and no go

Heck, I've been trying for months to sell a 62 with lower mileage, runs good, nice dash, I'm keeping the seats and gas tank and dropped the price to $1800 and no go
Where in Illinois are you?
Edit: I think I found it. Lincoln Park?

Last edited:
@Beehanger , just seconding the no side of the scale. yeah, the vendor is most likely looking to recoup most if not all of his cost for the parts he wanted. i believe the only way parts truck purchases work in your favor is if you've got accessible out of site storage, indefinitely. i got fortunate with my mini truck dragon's hoard, 3 complete, enough loose parts to assemble a 4th n a pile of miscellany sold to one buyer. sat on it for close to 30 yrs

THanks for the advice guys, appreicate all the input. gunna pass on this one.

For all you guys that have rigs sitting around I'm in the market for some interior parts going forward as some cash frees up. Ill repost on this thread when that time comes.

I'm really craving a Reuben too, and a stiff drink. In the shop late tonight,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom